Need assistance with prot

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Basically, I'm having issues with how much damage I'm taking in. Now I understand the concept of 15% expertise, and 7.5% hit for holy power generation.

What I'm confused with is, should I be going for haste or mastery to help my damage intake after expertise and hit caps? I don't have many issues with threat, besides AoE on trash.

Also, is it a gear related issue maybe? or my rotation? Any tips or criticisms would be awesome at this point
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
As I understand it, Haste, due to Sanctity of Battle, which allows Haste to reduce the global cooldown of almost all of Prot's major abilities. The more Holy Power abilities that are used, the higher our survivability.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Haste and mastery are our best stats for survival. With more haste comes more Holy Power, which means you gain the physical damage reduction of Shield of the Righteous much more often. Mastery helps to smooth out incoming damage by increasing your overall block chance and increases the healing of Word of Glory.

EDIT: Something else you can try is combining Sacred Shield and Shield of the Righteous into a single macro since the former isn't on the global cooldown. With Vengeance, Sacred Shield can absorb in the upward of 30-40,000 damage per tick, and haste shortens the duration of each tick, so it "repairs" more often.
Edited by Valethria on 2/24/2013 8:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I reviewed some of your guild's logs, and here's some feedback on your gameplay.

In no way do I intend this to be disrespectful, but you all around need to play the class better. Because the Stone Guard's mostly a tank and spank fight, I chose it to examine your gameplay. There, you maintained a Sacred Shield uptime of just 67% - you really should be 90%+ on that fight. Sacred Shield scales with Vengeance and those dogs hit you damn hard. It'll give you big absorbs. Maybe you need to use an addon like WeakAuras (which I use) to monitor this buff.

More worrisome is your Shield of the Righteous uptime, 25%. On that fight, which is mostly tank and spank and very short, your uptime should be at least 40%, if not 50%. You're having trouble mitigating damage, in short.

On each fight you use Divine Protection about once, and that's it. That spell's on a 1 minute CD and should be used pretty much whenever possible unless you're saving it for some reason (such as on Normal Elegon in preparation of Total Annihilation, unglyphed). There's a problem with WoL so you cannot see the usage of Guardian. Hopefully you're using that.

On Feng you got absolutely trucked, but it's not your fault. Your co-tank's supposed to taunt off at 2 stacks of Feng's debuffs, and yours...wasn't. I examined one section of the fight where you were taking massive damage, and lo and behold you had amassed 5 stacks of Lightning Lash. With all of those stacks, it's ticking for 100k a pop.

On the plus side, you seem to possess solid raid awareness. You stood in zero AoE on the Stone Guard.

tl;dr: take advantage of the active mitigation model by improving your SotR uptime, and work on maintaining Sacred Shield.
Edited by Trystero on 2/24/2013 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I reviewed some of your guild's logs, and here's some feedback on your gameplay.

In no way do I intend this to be disrespectful, but you all around need to play the class better. Because the Stone Guard's mostly a tank and spank fight, I chose it to examine your gameplay. There, you maintained a Sacred Shield uptime of just 67% - you really should be 90%+ on that fight. Sacred Shield scales with Vengeance and those dogs hit you damn hard. It'll give you big absorbs. Maybe you need to use an addon like WeakAuras (which I use) to monitor this buff.

More worrisome is your Shield of the Righteous uptime, 25%. On that fight, which is mostly tank and spank and very short, your uptime should be at least 40%, if not 50%. You're having trouble mitigating damage, in short.

On each fight you use Divine Protection about once, and that's it. That spell's on a 1 minute CD and should be used pretty much whenever possible unless you're saving it for some reason (such as on Normal Elegon in preparation of Total Annihilation, unglyphed). There's a problem with WoL so you cannot see the usage of Guardian. Hopefully you're using that.

On Feng you got absolutely trucked, but it's not your fault. Your co-tank's supposed to taunt off at 2 stacks of Feng's debuffs, and yours...wasn't. I examined one section of the fight where you were taking massive damage, and lo and behold you had amassed 5 stacks of Lightning Lash. With all of those stacks, it's ticking for 100k a pop.

On the plus side, you seem to possess solid raid awareness. You stood in zero AoE on the Stone Guard.

tl;dr: take advantage of the active mitigation model by improving your SotR uptime, and work on maintaining Sacred Shield.

Alright, noted. I need to work on keeping sacred shield up constantly, and working SotR in more. Didn't think I was playing that bad, but it makes sense haha. Trying to improve as best as I can thus why I posted here

Thanks for the help
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Couple of questions:

Are you having trouble with specific fights or always taking too much damage?

Are you using Seal of Insight?

What's your Shield of the Righteous uptime on a practice dummy (without using Level 75 talents)?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Alright, noted. I need to work on keeping sacred shield up constantly, and working SotR in more. Didn't think I was playing that bad, but it makes sense haha. Trying to improve as best as I can thus why I posted here

Thanks for the help

Like I said earlier, I strongly suggest making a macro that combines Shield of the Righteous and Sacred Shield. It's an almost completely passive way to achieve optimal uptime on Sacred Shield in my experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]