Roleplaying as a Dragon

100 Orc Warlock
What do you guys think about someone who roleplays a dragon?

is it fine, taboo, dependant on how good the RP is?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
You will find that most people do not like it when a person rps as a dragon. It is like bragging, making yourself bigger than anyone else, trying to imtimidate and rule over people. Dragons are not like people. They have a whole different mentality. You will be called a "Mary Sue" a "Meta gamer" a "God modder" and other names for even daring to do it. And most of the people who call you names and nay say it do not even know what those terms mean.

Best advice I can give you is this. Do tons of research into Azeroth dragons. There are sites that specialize in it. Google is your friend. Then remember the cardinal rule of dragon rp. NO ONE can know you are a dragon. You can never shift into your Vial of Sands form and attempt to scare, manipulate or fight with other players. In fact you cannot fight at all in dragon form.

You cannot put it on your MRP, because people will for the most part ignore you. You have a friend who wants to rp a dragon with you? Good, because that person will be the only one who knows. You can rp together as dragons who NEVER change into their dragon forms.

Now...still want to be a dragon rper?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
[Draconic] Afuun dovah se solyuek nihasten tiid.

I desire these powers as a dragon all the time. Emotes while in dragon form, select items able to be used without shifting out...hell, the sandstone drake's roar could use an improvement. It just seems like a guttural gurgling growl right now.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
Hokay, so dragon RP is a pet peeve of mine, but only because people tend to do it so wrong

I actually have no qualms with RP'ing as a dragon, provided that you don't simply use it as an excuse to be ridiculously overpowered as a character, and that you don't use it as you character's main point of interest.

No. Just no. That's not how dragons work.

I could write an entire essay on the things you'd need to do to pull it off correctly, and I'm gonna be honest, it's likely gonna be far easier to just make a regular character.

However, it basically boils down to two major points.

Point 1: Dragons pretty much never reveal their identity.
Now, it's cool if you RP as a bronze dragon and as a result dress your character in gold and yellow, or red for the red dragonfight, etc. Coolbeans, anyone can dress like that anyway and fashion in Azeroth is pretty ridiculous by the norm. It's also cool to portray your character as having odd habits. If they're a bronze dragon, maybe they carry several pocketwatches, set to all different times that they frequently check. Again, that's fine, it just makes for a quirky character.

What you should never, ever do is put in your RP description that your character is secretly a dragon. Saying that they serve one of the flights I would let slide, so long as they don't add "as a dragon" to the end of it. They should also never transform in front of mortals, or actively seek to win every fight they encounter. For safety's sake, I'd just avoid petty conflict as a dragon, since as a dragon you should probably be above it. If you must reveal your identity as part of a storyline, it should only be done to somebody the dragon trusts dearly.

Point 2: Have an Agenda
Dragons don't hang out with mortals because they just think they're a swell bunch. No, they usually have an ulterior motive, a goal they're seeking to attain. Perhaps they're looking for a mortal champion, or trying to prevent a catastrophe, or investigating a ley line disturbance, etc. This is the reason they use mortal guises, so as not to draw attention to themselves as they work. A few quirky habits might allude to their 'dragon-ness', but it shouldn't just plain ruin the illusion. Have a goal for your dragon, and stick to it. If you're hanging out with mortals because you're bored, then sorry you're doing it wrong. Dragons are busy folk with many pressing matters to attend to.

All in all, most people frown upon it. However, if you follow what I wrote, you might just be remembered as one of the people who did it, and did it right. But I make no promises.

(I know I said I wouldn't write an essay, I'm so sorry.)
Edited by Taly on 2/28/2013 4:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Years ago the server I am on used to have a dragon infestation in Silvermoon. I think they all left wow or took the free WRA transfers, thank god. I have only run into one godmoding dragon recently.

I don't mind if someone plays a Dragon but few players seem to think critically about the implications of doing so.

Consider what Taly said. It's a real +1 on the subject.

Then consider how the (normal mortal) people of Azeroth likely view Dragons. Here's a hint: "Kill it before it kills us." Very few Dragons in game are actually friendly with mortals, an even fewer spend their time hanging around cities. (There are a few NPCs in Dalaran, but Dalaran could easily nuke them from orbit if they misbehaved. The only one I can think of that is standing in a normal PC city for little to no reason is Kalecgos, but he's a unique special snowflake, he's dating Jaina.)

Now a dragon could pass in normal society if they kept their nature a secret. Not because RPers would not play with you (though that certainly is something to consider) but that even the somewhat enlightened wouldn't appreciate a dragon invading their city. The consequences of being found out? Death, being beaten up pretty darn good, or being thrown out. Now someone could say, "But the npcs/bliz won't enforce these types of consequences". This is true, but a RPer who is mindful of realistic consequences makes a far more compelling character (a rper that people can trust).

Dragons should be rare. My biggest problem when dragons were popular was that there were so many of them. Of course, they were in Silvermoon, a city full of magical types. You'd think a place like that would detect if a dozen dragons were using magic to disguise themselves as mortals in their city for an extended period of time and deal with the infestation.

If I were going to play a dragon, I'd do it in the style of Filia Ul Copt. (+1 nerd point if you know who that is.) A slightly comedic prophecy bearing emissary searching for powerful mortals to assist in getting to the bottom of said prophecy.

TL;DR: It can be done, but it's rarely done right, unless you can do it right, I' stick to something more normal. After all, a character doesn't need to be woven as something special in order to be compelling or interesting. I wouldn't recommend it as a first character, establish yourself as a good, fair player first, folks will let more slide.

[Edit: Laptop Keyboard is dooker.]
Edited by Zandrae on 2/28/2013 7:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
I never wanted to RP a dragon actually.

I just wanted to know several reasons to tell one of my friends to -Not RP a Dragon-

but she's not buying the whole -its mary sue- thing :l
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
02/28/2013 12:48 PMPosted by Zurga
but she's not buying the whole -its mary sue- thing :l

Because it's not.

Because that's not what a Mary Sue is, and you're using the phrase wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
well, its probably more the -way- she's RPing the dragon that makes it mary sue from what the other reply's say.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
02/28/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Zurga
well, its probably more the -way- she's RPing the dragon that makes it mary sue from what the other reply's say.

That depends on the way.

If she's RPing as a character that can do no wrong, is perfect in every way - even her flaws being perfect - then that would be closer to a Mary Sue. An unrealistic sort of character.

If it's not that, then it's not a Mary Sue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Silver calm down with the race changes! Night elf, dwarf, blood elf, worgen, you're making my head spin!

..now on topic. I see no issue with Dragon rp as long as it's done right and said dragon has a legit reason for being in a mortal form among people.

No you are not allowed to sit in taverns and hit on women in mortal form. I would also suggest not wearing your flights colour unless around people who know who/what you are.
Edited by Drewan on 2/28/2013 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
Thank you Taly for your information and everyone else who had replied. It has definately helped a lot in helping my friend create her character.
/smileyface
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
02/28/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Drewan
No you are not allowed to sit in taverns and hit on women in mortal form.

Lol what

Have you ever been to the tavern this forum is named after?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
Thank you Taly for your information and everyone else who had replied. It has definately helped a lot in helping my friend create her character.
/smileyface

I'm glad to have helped!

I'll feel better about my wall of text if it helps somebody make a worthwhile character, yes.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
02/28/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Drewan
Silver calm down with the race changes! Night elf, dwarf, blood elf, worgen, you're making my head spin!

You're forgetting that the original character, Silverflame was human and i'm sure there was a troll race change in there somewhere.

OP, I'm glad that it helped, (I would have contributed but I came in late and everything I was going to say had already been said)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
02/28/2013 11:06 PMPosted by Kassalla

You're forgetting that the original character, Silverflame was human and i'm sure there was a troll race change in there somewhere.

OP, I'm glad that it helped, (I would have contributed but I came in late and everything I was going to say had already been said)

Two troll race changes, one orc race change, two blood elf race changes, three worgen, one night elf, one pandaren, one dwarf.
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
I doubt people even know what the word merry-sue god modin, powergaming, or meta-gameing even means any more. They just use any negative phrase to describe an rper they don't like.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/01/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Walegar
I doubt people even know what the word merry-sue god modin, powergaming, or meta-gameing even means any more. They just use any negative phrase to describe an rper they don't like.

Without googling let's see how well I remember these terms from 15 years ago.

Mary Sue: A overly idealized female character or male character, who is perfect (or badass), flawless, and loved bby everyone, gets the canon character's adoration, etc etc to an unreasonable point.

God Moding: To play a character with godlike power, or power beyond acceptable levels for a setting.

Power Gaming/Twinking (non wow/non pvp): The act of controlling other people's characters or making poses in a way that disallows players fair representation to their own characters' abilities, skills, etc. Technically if someone's MRP says that my character sees them and is instantly attracted to them, they are power gaming. :)

Meta-gaming: I vaguely recall this being something to the point of use of information provided OOCly as IC information without any IC justification for doing so. Instantly knowing another character's name without having been told it is an example of this.

Can I have a mana-cookie?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
You mixed up Power Gaming and Godmoding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I miss you being human silver D: back in southshore with your tower...gooood times
Reply Quote
03/01/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Zandrae

Without googling let's see how well I remember these terms from 15 years ago.

Mary Sue: A overly idealized female character or male character, who is perfect (or badass), flawless, and loved bby everyone, gets the canon character's adoration, etc etc to an unreasonable point.

God Moding: To play a character with godlike power, or power beyond acceptable levels for a setting.

Power Gaming/Twinking (non wow/non pvp): The act of controlling other people's characters or making poses in a way that disallows players fair representation to their own characters' abilities, skills, etc. Technically if someone's MRP says that my character sees them and is instantly attracted to them, they are power gaming. :)

Meta-gaming: I vaguely recall this being something to the point of use of information provided OOCly as IC information without any IC justification for doing so. Instantly knowing another character's name without having been told it is an example of this.

Can I have a mana-cookie?

*Conjures you a mana-cookie*
*Decides one isn't enough, and makes a whole tray*

Save that you mixed up 'Power Gamining/Twinking' and 'Godmodding', that was spot on.
Thanks for getting that out there for the other players (who may not know this stuff) to read. ^_^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]