Divine Purpose for Ret in 5.2

90 Human Paladin
So, with Avenging Wrath at a 2 minute cooldown via the tier set bonus, Divine Purpose for Retribution is already beneath the other two talent choices. Now, in 5.2 we don't need the set bonus to get the 2 minute cooldown, which is awesome.

However, this will just mean that even without the 4 piece tier bonus that Divine Purpose will still remain the lesser of the three choices, even for those of us who like the more "RNG" style of the talent (main reason I still use it, cause I find it more enjoyable).

Now, I know that all talents don't need to be optimal for all specs, but it would be nice to have Divine Purpose boosted so that it is a viable choice (not an intentional gimping of your character). Maybe something like choosing Divine Purpose will increase the damage of your seals by X% except while Avenging Wrath is active? That could make Divine Purpose our "increased steady DPS" choice as opposed to increasing our burst through the other two talent points.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Having both SW and HA as optimal choices for ret is enough.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/21/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Daemonism

umm.. no. some of us quite enjoy DP. Truly, how hard would it be to bring it's overall damage in line with SW and HA? Can't the RNG rets be happy as well?.. Also, plz keep in mind I'm not actually unhappy XD
Edited by Roniq on 2/21/2013 4:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's already really good for Holy, so the only way to make it better for Ret is to give it some sort of Ret-specific effect, like guaranteed proc chance on Inquisition.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/21/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Elidra
It's already really good for Holy, so the only way to make it better for Ret is to give it some sort of Ret-specific effect, like guaranteed proc chance on Inquisition.

wow, thats sounds way to good considering the Inquisition "bug" fix in 5.2 :). Sure would make a bit of the Inquisition QQ go away i bet.

Perhaps a slight/small/tiny proc % increase for ret only?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/21/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Roniq
umm.. no. some of us quite enjoy DP

This made me laugh cuz it sounds dirty.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I havent tested it since the AW buff, because im pretty damn lazy, but using 4p t15 and the rest of the gear I have on live on the ptr hitting dummies, DP did a few K more than HA did, I'll test SW later
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/21/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Vuruptor

(<.<)(>.>)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/21/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Lobster

Pretty much. If you gave DP a flat buff it would become even better for holy. The only way to avoid that situation without changing the feel of DP is to give it spec specific effects or triggers.

Yeah, can't really just buff the proc rate. That's why I suggested something like increased seal damage (except during Avenging Wrath). It would give an increased non-burst DPS buff, but wouldn't really overpower Holy, because they rarely deal damage with seals unless soloing (and even then not so much). Then again, there are certainly other options that could work too without upsetting the balance for other specs, too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
02/21/2013 03:54 PMPosted by Airc
So, with Avenging Wrath at a 2 minute cooldown via the tier set bonus
It's no longer a set bonus, it's baseline for Ret and they are giving Ret the old set bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It would be IMO somewhat more elegant to give it an additional effect that Holy doesn't much care about (eg: attacks made free by Divine Purpose deal X% extra damage) than to give it a strictly Ret-only effect.

But yeah, I agree it should be a little more competitive as a Ret talent.
Reply Quote
02/21/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Vuruptor

LMAO! And I thought I had a dirty mind.

<.<

>.>
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
It might need to be changed eventually but they mentioned months ago that if at least two of the talents are attractive for a particular spec in a certain tier than they have mostly done their job. If there is a just a flat out winner fairly consistently regardless of circumstance, well problems exist.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would like to see something like this.

New Talent - Judgements of Ancient Command
-Empower your Judgement while Guardian of Ancient Kings is active, reducing cooldown to 3 seconds and increasing its damage and healing by 25%. In addition, passively grants the following effects at all times.
  • Judgement of Truth - Judgement damage x censure stacks again. Up to 25%
  • Judgement of Righteousness - Judgement damage splits between all targets within 8 yards of primary target.
  • Judgement of Insight - Can be used on Friendly target as healing instead.
  • Judgement of Justice - Has a 20% chance to stun the target for 2 seconds.
  • Edited by Dainerys on 2/22/2013 12:42 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Rogue
    02/21/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Roniq

umm.. no. some of us quite enjoy DP. Truly, how hard would it be to bring it's overall damage in line with SW and HA? Can't the RNG rets be happy as well?.. Also, plz keep in mind I'm not actually unhappy XD

Its never going to stop being funny to me.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    02/22/2013 02:04 AMPosted by Lobster
    It's not hard to enjoy Divine Purpose. It can be quite useful despite being pure RNG. Personally I like DP for mucking around in BGs and world shenanigans. In PVE if I'm unfamiliar with a fight I'll use it until I figure out the best times for cooldown usage. It's good for leveling too.

This is probably the best fit for DP. When you're doing fresh encounters, or learning when cooldowns are appropriately used, it's going to give you a better overall sustained. It's by no means a bad talent, it just doesn't compete in the burst and burn phases versus the other talents. There's nothing wrong with that, because then you steep back down when you aren't hitting everything at once. DP prevents that by allowing RNG to sustain your DPS.

I miss it on trash at times in some dungeons, getting 6-7 Divine Storms in a row. Making it baseline or something else would overpower the other Paladin specs. Leave it be!
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    I love Divine Purpose, it's just a shame you either proc it once every 5 minutes on a boss fight, or 15 times in a row back to back while you're in town killing rodents.

I'd like it to give a buff that increases the proc chance of DP by 20%, that stacks up to 5 times for each finisher you until it procs, and then removes the stacks and reverts back to it's base proc rate and you begin building them again.

This way, you can still get lucky and have a few back to back if the RNG gods love you this day, or guarantee a proc once every 5 finishers. Less streaky, more predictable, but not so predictable that it forces a new priority.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    I love Divine Purpose, it's just a shame you either proc it once every 5 minutes on a boss fight, or 15 times in a row back to back while you're in town killing rodents.

I'd like it to give a buff that increases the proc chance of DP by 20%, that stacks up to 5 times for each finisher you until it procs, and then removes the stacks and reverts back to it's base proc rate and you begin building them again.

This way, you can still get lucky and have a few back to back if the RNG gods love you this day, or guarantee a proc once every 5 finishers. Less streaky, more predictable, but not so predictable that it forces a new priority.

Many of us do, just not as a talent. Blizz is stalling on baseline, but have followed through with most of what paladins want come 5.2.

We wanted more Hand utility. We got it.
    We wanted more Healing in PvP. We got it.
    We wanted more CC. We got it.
    We wanted 2 minute Avenging Wrath(again x.x). We got it.

I like your debuff idea which decreases the RNG against the target. Would work nice with the Seal of Justice idea Blizz toyed around with.
    Edited by Dainerys on 2/22/2013 8:13 AM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]