2080 Haste VS 2080 Stam

90 Tauren Paladin
I calculated my haste gems, and if i were to swap, it would be a swing of 2080 haste to stam.

i'm currently working on heroic mode progression, and my damage intake isn't too severe. Slightly more than our stam stacked blood DK, but it's a lot smoother due to more CDs available to me.

I see Theck stacking stam, and I heard according to him, its stam > hit/expertise cap > haste, but I see more top geared prots go haste. I am at 551k health completely unbuffed, about 600k (i forget exactly) with buffs and 1 stam trink. I'm contemplating getting another stam trink as it is.

Any suggestions as to what I should aim for? I'm biased as I just love seeing giant health pools, so I thought I would ask wiser folks here.

((Thought I should add - I have been ret all xpac, but due to losing someone, and the versatility between ret and prot gear, I have been made a tank for the rest of 5.1 and forever more.))
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
If you have enough effective health for heroic progression, you are usually safer with haste.

If you are dying before healers can react, might want to get more stam,

Tanks generally don't have a "set" priority, they gem/reforge for the needs of their raid group. You should be fine for current heroic progression with 600k, but it really comes down to being fight and raid group dependent.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've tanked 10/16H with pure Ret gear (including Ret tier) except reforged for an extra 7.5%. In that set I have about 495k hp unbuffed, and maybe 535-540k fully buffed. And there hasn't been a fight yet where I felt like I needed more stam.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/25/2013 06:39 AMPosted by Sliphe
I've tanked 10/16H with pure Ret gear (including Ret tier) except reforged for an extra 7.5%. In that set I have about 495k hp unbuffed, and maybe 535-540k fully buffed. And there hasn't been a fight yet where I felt like I needed more stam.

Two words: Lei Shei
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
25 man: Stam. Your DPS is not a big issue, and TTL (Time To Live) is much more important than TDR (Total Damage Reduction) when you have 5-6 healers.

(Edit: That's not to say Stam stacking is a one-size-fits-all. Just that it's a wise choice for most 25H Prot Pallies.)

10 man: Tougher question, but generally it seems like most are leaning towards Haste for the extra DPS and TDR. There are obvious outliers, like Lei Shi (that's still a fight where Stam >>> All. Bring two Stam trinkets). Keep in mind that I have no 10H experience, this is purely based on what others have told me, so yah.
Edited by Tailias on 2/25/2013 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/25/2013 08:17 AMPosted by Inares

Two words: Lei Shei

I haven't done Lei Shi yet. I was clearly talking about the fights I have done. And for Lei Shi, just throw on a stam trink or two, maybe reforge a little, and you're gtg. Stam is obviously better for that fight, but haste is still very good. Faster holy power = more wogs.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/25/2013 01:35 AMPosted by Carbuncle
Tanks generally don't have a "set" priority, they gem/reforge for the needs of their raid group. You should be fine for current heroic progression with 600k, but it really comes down to being fight and raid group dependent.

This is possibly the most sane statement regarding gearing and playstyle I've seen in a long time. Too bad more people don't take this approach (in multiple areas of the game) and prefer to champion the "one true way" of doing things.

To the OP: What's worked for me thus far is gearing for Haste, but gemming for Mastery & Stamina.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin

I haven't done Lei Shi yet. I was clearly talking about the fights I have done. And for Lei Shi, just throw on a stam trink or two, maybe reforge a little, and you're gtg. Stam is obviously better for that fight, but haste is still very good. Faster holy power = more wogs.

Damn, I must be going about this all wrong, and use Shield of the Righteous too much or somthing.. I spam that like its going out of style.

Lei Shi doesn't really hit physical so reducing phys doesn't help. Adds are the only melee and Lei Shi just frosts you to death. You are right to spam (or use frequent but controlled) SotR on any other fight.

To OP, I haven't needed to focus stam at all this tier. Ive gone for nothing more than hybrid blue gems (and those are more for socket bonuses than the stam) and chest chant. I have a couple pieces gemmed for Lei Shi in my bags if/when we get there but I have not broken them out on any other fight. 540-570k idk my total HP feels irrelevant to my survivability. If I fail at using SotR/SS I die. If I forgot to eat and get fort I won't even notice.
Edited by Ussil on 2/26/2013 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
To OP, I haven't needed to focus stam at all this tier. Ive gone for nothing more than hybrid blue gems (and those are more for socket bonuses than the stam) and chest chant. I have a couple pieces gemmed for Lei Shi in my bags if/when we get there but I have not broken them out on any other fight. 540-570k idk my total HP feels irrelevant to my survivability. If I fail at using SotR/SS I die. If I forgot to eat and get fort I won't even notice.

I agree there. Health has been irrelevant for me since i could take a hit without getting 1shot. I tried it with some lower haste (without regemming) and it feels terrible. Just so slow. lol. I think I'll even stay haste in 5.2 if the predictions of all prot builds being very close. Just enough haste to smoothen out the rotation, then stam and avoidance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]