auto-banning for same account gold mailing

100 Dwarf Warrior
I have two licenses on my account, one of which I use exclusively to AH with. Yesterday I mailed about 250k from the AH account to my main account. The AH account was banned today for exploitative behavior. This is the second time this exact scenario has happened to me. With the advent of multiple licenses possible on one account, why has the flagging system not been changed to ignore large transactions on the same account, instead of just the same license? I appreciate the need to combat gold-selling, but it's very annoying being the victim of incorrect punitive action once, let alone multiple times.

Edit: The ban has already been rescinded as of the time of my original post. I'm posting to point out that the flagging system needs to be updated, not argue about the account action.
Edited by Ersiusp on 2/27/2013 7:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2013 07:29 AMPosted by Ersiusp
I appreciate the need to combat gold-selling, but it's very annoying being the victim of incorrect punitive action once, let alone multiple times.

So why not send it in smaller less "gold-selly" amounts?

In any event, the correct forum to suggest this sort of change in would be the General forums.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin
It's highly unlikely that it's the amount. It's more likely that given your high volume of AH activity, somewhere along the way, someone used stolen gold to purchase your items.

There are certain actions that raise flags, but it takes more than just a "red flag" to cause any type of action. It's a combination of many things.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
02/27/2013 07:35 AMPosted by Perl
In any event, the correct forum to suggest this sort of change in would be the General forums.
Not going by the forum descriptions. This is the more appropriate forum.

And it's silly to have to launder my own legitimately earned gold being transferred between my own characters.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin
Not going by the forum descriptions. This is the more appropriate forum.

This forum is not for feedback/suggestions. The developers, who have the power to make the change, do not take feedback from here.

You want General.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
Unfortunately, you're incorrect Ersiusp. If you're looking to make a suggestion that you'd like a developer to read, you'll want to post in a forum that they look for suggestions in. The CS forum is not one of those forums. You're welcome to search for the hundreds of blue posts here in CS that will backup that statement.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
It's highly unlikely that it's the amount. It's more likely that given your high volume of AH activity, somewhere along the way, someone used stolen gold to purchase your items.

There are certain actions that raise flags, but it takes more than just a "red flag" to cause any type of action. It's a combination of many things.
Both times this has happened it was the day following me mailing a chunk of gold. I realize that's not definitive proof, but it's a convincing enough correlation for me. Obviously, I'm going to change how I do things now to avoid it from here on out, but it is a flaw in the system that should be addressed to not inconvenience other honest customers.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
It's not a flaw though. If that's really what happened, then it's working as intended if you ask me. How would they tell the difference between legitimate accounts and hacked accounts?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
The gold was mailed from a character on one license in my account to a character on a different license in the same account. That's the flaw. If I directly mailed it from a level one to a character not on the same account, I would completely agree.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
Well, best of luck with your suggestion over in General.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
"Economy Exploitation," or "Abuse Of the Economy," are Blizzard's catch all terms for a combination of suspicious activity/red flags that makes it appear the account maybe in control of Gold Sellers/hackers. When enough red flags are raised it can trigger a “precautionary,” suspension/ban.

I have been following the CSF for some time now. Below are just some of the Red Flags that I have been able to gleam in that time. Please Note: For the most part, none of these actions are against the rules, and by themselves will not normally trigger a suspension. However they are behaviors that are shared by gold sellers. It is by no means a complete list, nor do I know the number, weight of each flag, combination, and/or pattern of Red Flags, that will trigger an account action.

The use a lower ping, tunneling service, Proxy to access wow. They can send up a major red flag to the system’s detection programs as Gold sellers use them as well to hide their tracks. They can also make it appear that you account is being accessed from several points all over the world, in an inhumanly possible manner for one person to do.

Mat farming in a repetitive fashion, following the same route over and over again, and not responding to tells. Expressly the AOE farming of large numbers of mobs, at once. This can make it appear that you are using a Farming Bot or exploit.

The use of any special gaming keyboards like a G15, or a gaming mouse, that has any auto shot or play function. Automatic game play is not limited to it performing actions for you so you can go AFK. Blizzard does not allow you to set up it’s macros to do anything that you can't do with in game macros. Basically one button push one action, and no holding down the button for auto repeats.

Large transfers of gold or item between toons expressly between more then one account. Note Even if you are the owner of the accounts the system’s detection programs doesn’t know that.

A large volume or a large usual increase(above the player’s norm)of AH and in-game trade activity that is out of character may send up red flags. Just like unusual Credit Card activity will raise a red flag with your bank.

If a lot of the items you buy and resell on the AH are stolen from an hacked account, that is another red flag. However if it appears you are buying exclusively from hacked accounts, may get you suspended, without any other flags being raised.

The posting and selling of low level mats or items at an extremely unreasonably high amount of gold. Example: a single light leather for 10,000 gold. As gold sellers try to launder gold in this manor.

A large volume or a large usual increase(above the player’s normal) in trading of gold, and items between several players. Also if some one you dealt with was a hacker, can be another red flag . Note: if the deal seemed to good to have been true, most likely it was stolen goods.

Running or taking part in GDKP runs. While GDKP runs are not against the rules they are not supported. Gold sellers have been known to use Hacked accounts for GDKP runs as a way of raising gold to sell. When you pay for one of these run, that is headed by a Hacker, it puts you into Money trail of the Gold selling scheme. If someone is paying for the GDKP run with gold they bought from a gold seller, will put an Honest guild/raid leader, and participants, in the money trail as well. Lastly leading a GDKP run, can make you more variable to scamming charges, from disgruntled players.

When enough red flags are raised it can cause you to get a 3 day "precautionary," suspension for "Economic Exploitation," while Blizzard does a more in-depth investigation. These "precautionary," suspensions are done to protect your account from further damage, in case you had been hacked.

Please note at no time has any GM stated that these are Red Flags that their security programs are looking for. It is a list that I have complied from almost 5 years of following the CS forum, based on statements made from other player have made in, or from other threads like this one.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2013 07:51 AMPosted by Ersiusp
Both times this has happened it was the day following me mailing a chunk of gold.

Indeed. A chunk of gold that you earned from selling items in the AH. People will purchase stolen gold, then use the gold to purchase items. When Blizzard investigates where the money went, your name is involved, because you received the stolen gold.

I realize that's not definitive proof, but it's a convincing enough correlation for me.

It's not really "correlation". Even if it's was 1g, and you never mailed it another account, it is still stolen. The account action was overturned, because once they reviewed your particular involvement, they see that you did nothing wrong.

Obviously, I'm going to change how I do things now to avoid it from here on out

You can't avoid it, unless you stop using the AH altogether.

, but it is a flaw in the system that should be addressed to not inconvenience other honest customers.[/quote]

it is a flaw in the system that should be addressed to not inconvenience other honest customers.

The gold was mailed from a character on one license in my account to a character on a different license in the same account. That's the flaw. If I directly mailed it from a level one to a character not on the same account, I would completely agree.

Being mailed from one account to another doesn't magically make the gold legitimately acquired.

The only flaw is that you're not understanding what is really happening. You're stuck on "this happened because I mailed a certain sum of gold". That's not what really happened here.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I don't think you understand the difference between a license and an account.
Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
02/27/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Ersiusp

Of course we do. Don't be trite.

License is actual World of Warcraft accounts tied to a battlenet account. All of which have to have the same name registered to them.

That said?

The Blues in CS are not developers, nor liaisons to them. Additionally the developers do not read this forum for feedback,complaint, or suggestions.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413134207#10

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415606749#2

While our Developers appreciate any feedback you may have regarding the game it is important that these posts be not only constructive but also in the correct location. Development and our Community Managers do not read the CS forum normally and we do not serve as liaisons with them.

If you would like your feedback seen by the appropriate parties, please post in the forum that is best associated with your subject. For example if you have feedback on a specific class, post within that classes forum. For feedback that does not fit within a specific forum the General Discussion forum is best.

Make certain that your feedback is constructive, if you do not like something make sure you have a "why",how do you think it should work? Make sure your post is easy to read and understand. Proper paragraphs and grammar help a great deal, keep your points clear and concise and try to avoid drifting into exaggerations.

While our Developers and Community Managers are not usually able to respond directly to such threads they are read and again, very much appreciated. Player feedback is always considered, even if it may not always be applied.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/suggestions-to-improve-the-game

Suggestions to Improve the Game

Blizzard is lucky to have fans who take the time to contribute new game ideas and suggestions for improving our products. While we value the feedback and perspective our players offer, we cannot accept suggestions via email or petition. Suggestions must follow one of two avenues:

Forums

Suggestions can be submitted to the development teams through our official forums. The forums provide a valuable opportunity for Blizzard staff members to collect feedback from those who know our games best. When you create a suggestion post on the forums, select the forum that most closely matches the subject of your feedback. While we cannot guarantee a response, we can assure you that the Forums are read regularly, and the suggestions posted there do make an impact on our game designs.

Note: A valid World of Warcraft account is needed to post on the World of Warcraft Forums.

In-Game

Suggestions can also be submitted in-game. The suggestions submitted in this manner will go directly to the development teams – customer support will not provide a response to your suggestion. To submit a suggestion in-game:

1. Click to open the Customer Support window

2. Click Submit Suggestion.

3. Enter your suggestion. Be sure to follow the guidelines on the submission form.

4. Click Submit.

Our development teams are hard at work to bring you new and exciting content. Similarly to the forums, we cannot guarantee a personal response to suggestions submitted using the in-game form. However, we can assure you that your suggestion will be read and considered.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin

It doesn't matter what the difference is between the two. Your "flaw" is that you think you are getting popped for mailing gold to another character, and you don't think that should happen if it's on the same WoW license.

That's not likely the reason why you are getting popped. It doesn't matter what you do with the gold after you have received it. It matters where the gold came from in the first place. You could've left the gold on the AH character, and once Blizzard finished their investigation, the same thing would've happened.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
02/27/2013 07:57 AMPosted by Ersiusp

Let me see if I can break it down a bit more:

It does not matter if the gold is being transferred between toons on the same WoW account, or between different WoW accounts on the same B-Net account. It is just one of the behaviors the system picks up on.

Again it is just one of the Behaviors the system is looking for. By itself the mailing of gold from one toon to another, will not cause a suspension/ban. It is the combination of several other behaviors/flags, with the mailing of the gold possibly being one of them; that can cause it.

The reason it does not matter is An individual toons or WoW accounts may not have enough gold on it, that a Gold/hacker may need to fill an order. So they will mail all the gold from all of the toons, to just one toon/mule on the same server. Then if that still is not enough to fill the order, and you have more then one WoW accounts, they will strip your other WoW accounts, and mail their gold to the one toon they are using as a mule.
Edited by Ewing on 2/27/2013 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
So, you were banned previously for sending large amounts of gold to yourself. And you sent yourself large amounts of gold again, and got banned... again.

Albert Einstein had an interesting, but applicable, thought in relation to such events:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
The thing is, gold sellers do very little using lvl 1 characters, other than advertising. Moving and consolidating large amounts of gold, within in a account or between icenses on the same account is exactly what the gold sellers do.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
02/27/2013 08:40 AMPosted by Madisón
That's not likely the reason why you are getting popped. It doesn't matter what you do with the gold after you have received it. It matters where the gold came from in the first place. You could've left the gold on the AH character, and once Blizzard finished their investigation, the same thing would've happened.

Except we have known since tbc that single large mails of gold does in fact trigger an auto ban till they investigate.

Send gold in smaller parcels.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2013 03:19 PMPosted by Mate
Except we have known since tbc that single large mails of gold does in fact trigger an auto ban till they investigate.

No, it does not. I have mailed just as large of sums, if not larger, and received any kind of "auto ban". The amount has nothing to do with it. It's where the gold came from.

SFA's have said that it's a combination of factors that lead to these suspensions, and an appeal will overturn it, if the person is not involved with the gold-selling industry.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]