If you haven't seen Walking Dead yet...

52 Undead Priest
you are missing out on one of the best shows in years! I can't believe I waited this long to watch it, don't make the same mistake I did!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I loooove The Walking Dead! I need to catch up to the current season though... I JUST started season 3... SO yeah. I have a lot I need to watch.
Reply Quote
52 Undead Priest
Season 3 is probably as good as Season's 1 and 2 combined! I just saw my first episode last weekend, so for the last week I have watched the entire series from the start to where its currently at.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
It's pretty good but...it's not as good as breaking bad, game of thrones, or boardwalk empire.
Edited by Meatmissile on 2/24/2013 10:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
52 Undead Priest
Ok I agree Game of Thrones is better, but disagree with other two although they are great shows. I just recently got into boardwalk empire actually a little while back. Just over a month til Thrones starts back up!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I love The Walking Dead!

Everyone tells me I look alot like Rick IRL. Maybe its becaues I've got a full short beard grown out and similer haircut?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Eh. First season was alright, got insanely disinterested once it became apparent that Daryl was the only character they had any interest in expanding upon and progressing. May be different now, but I've already completely lost interest in the series. Also, Breaking Bad is the best thing on television.
Edited by ßlackened on 2/27/2013 9:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I like it.

That being said, I used to love it. Somewhere along the line they kind of trivialized their whole predicament though. I think it was when they decided that everyone is infected with the virus, so whether or not you get bit doesn't really matter anymore. If you die, you turn.

Kinda makes the zombies pointless, eh? If everyone is infected, they might as well be dealing with a world full of rabid dogs. Treat the zombies as such, and life goes on. Yeah, you'd probably be living inside of fences for the rest of your life... but if someone gets bit, and survives, it's not a big deal. Attend to the wound and there's really not much else to worry about.

Aside from that, yeah, they have deviated heavily from the comic book series, and I freely admit I am one of those people that can't really stand when great stories, comics and novels get butchered for television or cinema.

And one other thing: the violence - you'd have to admit - is really over the top now and only there for shock value. It's to the point where it's plainly obvious that they are simply trying to cram as many violent, disgusting, brutal, bloody kills as they can into their allotted time.

I don't mind violence, or any adult content really, in entertainment. Believe me, I can dig it when it has it's place. But there's only so many times I can say "OOOOH man did you see that kill!?" before it starts getting old.
Edited by Breakbeat on 2/27/2013 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
02/27/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Breakbeat
But there's only so many times I can say "OOOOH man did you see that kill!?" before it starts getting old.

Never! That tailgate kill a few weeks ago was great! 8)

So I finally broke down and read the comic up until about where the show is at. I will say I don't understand people that complain about the show ruining the comic. The comic is bad, the characters are more parodies than actual believable people. The show has done a much better job making the characters seem like real people that you wouldn't be suprised to meet in RL.

I will say I am not a fan of comics, so I may be a little biased. 8)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Well, fair enough, I'm sure some people do indeed tune in just to see the gratuitous violence. And that's cool with me, if that's your thing. But I fell in love with the show when the violence was secondary to the story lines -- now it seems to me that the violence is there just for the sake of being there, you know what I mean?

Like, "hey, we have 46 seconds to fill in this week's episode, let's show four heads slicing open, one eyeball pop and two blood showers. Oh, and make sure some of that blood gets in someones mouth."
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
02/28/2013 06:24 PMPosted by Breakbeat
Well, fair enough, I'm sure some people do indeed tune in just to see the gratuitous violence. And that's cool with me, if that's your thing.

I think gratuitous violence goes hand in hand with zombies 8) I don't tune in just for that, but I don't mind it as much in this show as I would in any other show or movie for some reason.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Like, "hey, we have 46 seconds to fill in this week's episode, let's show four heads slicing open, one eyeball pop and two blood showers. Oh, and make sure some of that blood gets in someones mouth."

Is 46 seconds of zombies being destroyed really going to bore you?

I wanted to watch it because, you know, ZOMBIES, not because it's supposed to be a friggin' soap opera.

Storyline is a wonderful thing, but there better damn well be crazy zombie action.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Is 46 seconds of zombies being destroyed really going to bore you?

Nope, 46 seconds of zombies being destroyed is not going to bore me. But it's unnecessary. It wasn't that way in the first two seasons, and for some reason the show changed. I figure, behind the scenes, they got some Standards and Practices committee to relax. (You notice that now, they are showing "head-splitting action" on humans too?)

I feel I may be misrepresenting myself here, I don't want to make it seem as though I am "against TV violence" or something. I am not.

But there's something to be said for having some restraint. Yes, in a zombie apocalypse show too. The first few times we see zombies taking an axe to the head, it's shocking and exciting. The 256th time, it's neither shocking nor exciting... it's expected and routine.

Let me clarify; it's expected and routine for me. For others, perhaps it's not, and that's fine. I'm just saying that I would much prefer a television series to be built on story rather than shock value, because shock value just doesn't hold my interest for scores of episodes. Leave that fare to the cinema.
Edited by Breakbeat on 3/1/2013 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/28/2013 07:38 PMPosted by Killercaitie
I wanted to watch it because, you know, ZOMBIES, not because it's supposed to be a friggin' soap opera.

One more thing and I'll let you be LOL.

Don't forget where this show came from. The original illustrator and writer spent far less time drawing and writing about blood, guts and gore - and far more time developing the characters and overall story. This is what made the Walking Dead such an awesome comic series compared to the other zombie and horror books available.

And I know, lots of people say yeah yeah yeah it came from a comic and the TV version is inferior and blah blah blah... this argument has been done to death. This is not what I am getting at.

The source work, the inspiration for this show - the whole reason it exists - is a story-driven comic book that simply did not rely on violence the way the show does now.

And you can't really say, well, that's a comic book, of course it's not going to be that violent. Well, I can tell you, there are some sick, twisted, disgusting comic books out there. Books that would put the TV version of Walking Dead to shame.
Edited by Breakbeat on 3/1/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Don't forget where this show came from. The original illustrator and writer spent far less time drawing and writing about blood, guts and gore - and far more time developing the characters and overall story. This is what made the Walking Dead such an awesome comic series compared to the other zombie and horror books available.

I'm going to be honest here, I've never heard of the comic until the show came out. That might be because we never had a comic book shop until this year, but still.

I never heard of it, my friends never heard of it, no one I have really met knew of it until the show came out.

Even then, you can't compare a comic/book to their adaptations as they are never truly the same.

I don't see the gore as shock value, I see it as necessary because this is a show about zombies.

Zombies.

Zombies.

Season 2 was slacking on the zombie action & on the Talking Dead, they said they wanted to add more in season 3, & that's what happened.

Do I want to watch love triangle after love triangle, etc. or do I want to see it with zombies getting blown up?

I choose option b.

I am aware others might disagree, but as I said... show about zombies.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
It sounds good ....just...

I will say it right here ...I AM TIRED OF ZOMBIES...You can take FIVE steps in ANYTHING wihout tripping over a Wallking Corpse

ENOUGH WITH ZOMBIES!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It sounds good ....just...

I will say it right here ...I AM TIRED OF ZOMBIES...You can take FIVE steps in ANYTHING wihout tripping over a Wallking Corpse

ENOUGH WITH ZOMBIES!!

Says the Undead Worgen. >_>
Reply Quote
52 Undead Priest
(SPOILER ALERT)

Back to the current season, after last weeks episode (where Andrea goes to the prison) this weeks episode was great. We've all been waiting to see if Morgan was going to show back up, and he doesn't disappoint when he does lol. I thought Rick was starting to lose his !@#$, apparently that was nothing compared to where Morgan's mind is at. Also I think its just time before Carl gets someone else killed again, he's always running off by himself and causing drama.
Edited by Orangejulius on 3/5/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Ya, I gret waiting as long as I did. I'm on teh last Disc for Season 2......... Anywhere you can Season 3? lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Who names their kid "Carl"?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]