Remove tanking form Dungeons

100 Human Monk
We really should and make it more like scenarios. tanks are pretty much unneeded in dugeons at this point. And it will gte worse in a few weeks when gearscores go up with 5.2 drops.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
02/23/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Hallëkk
gearscores

WoW

RIP 2008
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/23/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Hallëkk
gearscores

Explains a lot.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Sadly, I agree.

Being a tank in LFD/R is a joke.

Tanks are no longer necessary in LFD nor will they be any time soon.

Challenge modes for traditional group make-ups (in a sense).
Scenarios for the rest / badge farming.

LFD is losing it's usefulness in max level content.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
The trolls are out tonight. Weak effort here though 1/10.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I think DPS being able to hurt things on their own is actually a stupid idea. We should make Vengeance apply to all raid members, with a spellpower conversion, because you're seeing your friend get hurt and that makes you angry and you know that you fight best with motivation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think tanking should be made more relevant.

You are not a tank and draw aggro? You die.

Makes things a lot more interesting and gets rid of those people that are all gogogogogogogogogogo.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think Heroism should kill the Shaman. It has great synergy with Reincarnation and feels more Heroic.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
How about no.

If anything, they should retune dungeons (especially lower level ones) to make them more deadly to non-tanks that are taking hits (and/or nerf the stats on BOA gear -- they can leave the exp bonus alone, but the stats are way out of line with actual gear of the same level). Too many people get used to monsters that don't fight back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree with Calonderiel. Either keep it the way it is or gravitate toward the opposite direction the thread creator wants to take it in. Mobs could stand to hit harder against non-tanks.

Tanking is an integral part of WoW. I couldn't imagine it gone. So many people would complain if they tried to take it out. (as they should)
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
How about no.

If anything, they should retune dungeons (especially lower level ones) to make them more deadly to non-tanks that are taking hits (and/or nerf the stats on BOA gear -- they can leave the exp bonus alone, but the stats are way out of line with actual gear of the same level). Too many people get used to monsters that don't fight back.

We've been saying this for 5 years. Blizzard doesn't care. Just bend over and relax, let them finish and maybe, just maybe if we're lucky. They'll remove tanks.

I can assure you they won't make the roll more viable because there are just to many "baddies" out there. And they pay.

more baddies x $15 a month > a few good players x $15 a month

Granted we're talking about LFR/LFD. Any sane or intelligent people usually parse a well played tank.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
My main suggestion was to make Scenarios a leveling thing and dungeons an end game thing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Looks like the op may get his wish, if 5.2 is the trend then 5 mans are going away. I think 5.2 is blizz putting out feelers to see if the playerbase will go for short no content small grouping runs without the trinity, where you get a bag at the end lol.

I hope not I will probably quit if they do away with content and the trinity. Scenarios are fine for what they are, they are not however any content of substance. I dont even run them they are boring as all hell. At least in heroics you not only can get enchanting mats vendor gold most of the time, but you get to chuckle and see what dps flubs up and the special ways they can die.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Well it used to be that heroic dungeons were a good source of valor, so even many raiding tanks would still run at least one per day. Now the valor you get is extremely low.

What they probably should do is return the valor per heroic to what it used to be to keep the raiders running them a little, but maybe reduce the ilvl of gear once in the dungeon, like how challenge modes work, to keep the dungeons at least half challenging.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
I think tanking should be made more relevant.

You are not a tank and draw aggro? You die.

Makes things a lot more interesting and gets rid of those people that are all gogogogogogogogogogo.

I like this suggestion too. Either way so many tanks are unhappy with the current state and nothing has been done about it. Queues are getting longer again for dps, how long do they need to be for it to get fixed though?

There are some fixes -
- non-tanks take more damage and go splat nice and quick
- eliminating tanking would be lame ultimately, but still better then what it is now
- Upping valor as suggested by Ipwnwitfeet is not bad, an econcomic incentive to run more dungeons - however the problem of crappy play and annoying tanking wouldn't go away.

Just would like tanking to be relevant, or removed. Not trivialized into nothing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
02/24/2013 02:59 AMPosted by Slashlove
I think Heroism should kill the Shaman. It has great synergy with Reincarnation and feels more Heroic.

Resurrection spells should kill the character using the spell; after all, we all know that life force has to come from SOMEwhere...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/24/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Ipwnwitfeet
Well it used to be that heroic dungeons were a good source of valor, so even many raiding tanks would still run at least one per day. Now the valor you get is extremely low.

Heroic dungeons are still a very good source of valor. However, they're no longer the most efficient source of valor (challenge modes are), and there's only so much valor gear to purchase on a given character.

Geared players eventually have no need to keep farming valor for a given tier. This isn't news.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There are some fixes -

- non-tanks take more damage and go splat nice and quick

All this will do is cause the bad DPS to yell even more at the tank and healers. A small percentage might learn and play better, but the net gain will be minimal (if anything). Depending on how it's implemented, it will also likely have significant side-effects on overall PvE and PvP balance.

- eliminating tanking would be lame ultimately, but still better then what it is now

This is even less likely to happen now that there are scenarios to fill that niche.

- Upping valor as suggested by Ipwnwitfeet is not bad, an econcomic incentive to run more dungeons

How does reducing the number of heroics needed to cap valor get tanks to run more dungeons?
Reply Quote
The system works fine as it is.

Yes, a DPSer can serve as a "tank" and complete the instance, but everything runs much smoother when you have an actual tank in the group, and you let the tank do the tanking.

Think of those DPSers as the idiot driver that peels out and redlines it all the way to the next red light, and the tank is the driver going a steady speed that just cruises on through, right past the stopped idiot, without even having to slow down because the light turned green.

Sure, you'll get the occasional showboater that will claim they can tank the instance as DPS as well as any tank-specced player could, and a precious few of them actually can, but by and large those DPSers trying to go fast are actually slowing the group down.

Besides, unless they do something really stupid and pull the entire instance on you, a DPSer pulling is just less wear on your gear.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Being a good tank takes practice. If you remove the need for a tank in heroics where are these new tanks going to learn? Are you going to take a tank into a raid that has never tanked anything before? I sure wouldn't.

I think the large number of bad tanks in LFD is a direct result of leveling dungeons being too easy and not really requiring a tank. The learning curve has to come in somewhere. It currently comes in during heroics. You can move that learning curve by changing the tuning of various levels of the game but it has to come in somewhere.

Content tuned to not require a tank doesn't leave much room for variety and lacks challenge. Look at leveling dungeons and scenerios. I think they're fun, but they aren't challenging at all. I would hate to see raid difficulty mirror that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]