Prot Paladin Question

90 Undead Warrior
Hello,

I am trying to gather some information to help my co-tank out.

How does Hit/expertise work for Paladins?

For warriors, we generally aim for 7.5% hit and however much exp we feel comfortable with. For example,I try to go with 7.5% / 7.5% and I am comfortable there. 15% is the hard cap but is not a necessity until you get better gear and go into more difficult content.

Is it the same for paladins?

I took a look at the prot pally guide but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks
Edited by Dropknee on 2/26/2013 9:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hit/Expertise works like this.

When you hit something, you generate Holy Power. If the attack misses, is dodged, or parried, no Holy Power is generated. In other words - it can really screw with your mitigation and your survival. Hit and Expertise are just as important defensive stats as Dodge, Parry, Mastery, and Haste. They help complete our rotation and allows less room for damage spikes.

If he's struggling on Expertise, Lessons of the Darkmaster is a fairly common drop that should help him with hitting the hard-cap. I need to change up some of the gemming, but don't be afraid to gem a little Expertise, either. I'm not sure on HoF on up sadly for Normals (with my current schedule and finding mediocre guilds, well this one isn't bad but schedule conflicts), but I would presume ~500K HP unbuffed is more than sufficient to work with.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
He has plenty of HP (570k unbuffed) and has 15% expertise, but his DPS is very low. I regularly do way more dmg than he does, almost double on some fights. I am just wondering if it is neccessary for him to have 15% on normal mode fights or if those points could be allocated elsewhere to help his dps.
Reply Quote
If you don't mind, could you link his profile here? I don't mean to be nosy, but maybe I could help. Or even WoLs.
Reply Quote
95 Dwarf Paladin
Prot pally is the lowest DPS tank iirc. As long as he has threat and is not dying, you should be worrying about your DPSs DPS before your tanks DPS. Vengeance also plays a huge part in tank dmg, much much more than any stats you can allocate.

Bassm is right though, we need logs.
Edited by Ussil on 2/26/2013 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/26/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Ussil
Prot pally is the lowest DPS tank iirc. As long as he has threat and is not dying, you should be worrying about your DPSs DPS before your tanks DPS. Vengeance also plays a huge part in tank dmg, much much more than any stats you can allocate.

Paladin is one of the highest in damage output, but it's more gradual. We don't have the burst damage that the other tanks do.
Reply Quote
95 Dwarf Paladin
02/26/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Keten
Paladin is one of the highest in damage output, but it's more gradual. We don't have the burst damage that the other tanks do.

In that case it's just the vengeance issue.
Edited by Ussil on 2/26/2013 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
02/26/2013 10:09 AMPosted by Bassm
If you don't mind, could you link his profile here? I don't mean to be nosy, but maybe I could help. Or even WoLs.

Only because I am trying to help.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Odinstorm/advanced

He is a solid tank, I am very comfortable having him with me. I just want to do whatever I can to help us out.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
prot pally in mostly dps gear will help with that. you can go with lower expertise if you have alot of haste. the more you swing the more hits can be generated. some of the better prot set ups are using 4 piece ret set. when i tank, most of my gear is dps set. just my 2 cents
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
theres no need to gem straight stam for one, he is losing out on other stats big time by doing the straight stam gems. i would gem haste/stam or mastery/stam. if he really needs the bonus. otherwise straight haste. his self heals + seal of insight + glyph of battle healer should make it to where straigt stam gems are not needed. He should also look into a few more pieces of dps gear to possibly help with getting his dps up if thats a major issue
Reply Quote
Yeah, he definitely doesn't need that much Stamina.

He should either replace all of his Stamina gems with Haste / Mastery / Expertise (Expertise to close the .25% gap) or replace one of the trinkets with something like Lei Shin's Orders. The Haste whatever trinket the !@#$ is it called again?

Also, have him try Alabaster's Shield glyph or the Final Wrath glyph. It might solve part of his DPS problem, too.

Try telling him to try Windsong as an enchant instead of Colossus. Colossus isn't wtfterrible, but the problem is the absorbs are fairly small (like 8K with each proc) and it's probably only decent on fights like Lei Shi since none of our mitigation works against magic really. Windsong Haste and Mastery procs are awesome since it means either more Block / SotR reduction / WoG heal or faster Holy Power generation.
Edited by Bassm on 2/26/2013 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I'll mention these things to him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]