Oh languages.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So, I was writing on a shared backstory for a dozen or so of my toons (huzzah terrible fan fiction) and got the inspiration for another (yes, another) DK. Light help us all.

So I run through the DK starting area and go to org and meet the waaaghchief. Then I'm like, "If this belfthing or high elf thing (whatever it is) died before the elfthings joined the Horde how does he understand Orcish?"

I imagine in time he'd learn but fresh off the necropolis my brain is like, "???"

WTB plausible BS to understanding Orcish.
Edited by Zandrae on 2/26/2013 1:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Shaman
Ah, languages.

My Night Elf went she went through, well, she didn't understand common. She spoke in Darnassian to everyone and had her ghoul be the translator. It just so happens her ghoul was a human in his lifetime.

Yes, a ghoul translator. It's stupid, thinking back on it, but at the time it was fantastic!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Everyone understands common.

Just speak common until you can grasp Orcish.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ah, languages.

My Night Elf went she went through, well, she didn't understand common. She spoke in Darnassian to everyone and had her ghoul be the translator. It just so happens her ghoul was a human in his lifetime.

Yes, a ghoul translator. It's stupid, thinking back on it, but at the time it was fantastic!

Interesting.

Your nelf was skilled in raising the undead in a way, was it a specialty?
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Shaman
A bit. She found it easier than other things.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
There are plenty of things in game that do not make sense. But we have to think of it as the fantasy universe we all love. It's impossible for the large team that is working on the game and the quests to keep everything synced. The world is just too big and complicated.
Reply Quote
Given that the Lich King was an amalgamation of part Orc : part Human, it might not be impossible to consider knowledge of their primary languages as being infused into the Death Knight construction.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I always figured in situations such as that a common language was spoken. In fact, I always figured that was why the language Common was called bloody COMMON and not something less generic. This easily explains situations where you'd think there would be a language barrier but isn't while remaining somewhat believable without giving suspension of disbelief the finger and saying 'it's a fantasy universe.'
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Everyone speaks common, Horde can only speak Orcish for in-game reasons. If the Horde could speak Common in the game, you'd have people in BGs going like this...

Alliance's Chat: Okay, the Horde left half of the field right open. We can sneak by them and get the-

Troller on Alli: /y YOU'RE LEAVING HALF THE FIELD OPEN AND WE'RE ABOUT TO SNEAK BY YOU, BTW!

HordeChat: Fill that hole!

*Horde Wins*

That's why you disable it in BGs. :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]