Importance of 4P set bonus for prot pallys?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
OK So I have a 4/5 LFR T14 set and I have been getting more and more items from normal raids that have a higher Ilvl and more of the stats I want, as I am a "haste / control" build the set really does not have the stats I want. My question is, how big of a loss is ditching my LFR set items for the 496 normal items that have the stats I want? This would normally seem like an easy question to answer "go for the higher stats" but the set bonus of getting 10% more damage reduction off shield of righteous seems like it fully fits the haste build as I can keep like a 50/60% uptime on the shield. Thoughts?

One more thing to keep in mind this will also effect what is on the top of my list to upgrade with valor points. As some of the new items I've gotten (mainly mastery / haste stuff) also fit well into my ret set. So by using the new items I can combine parts of my two sets, and thus making them MUCH more valuable to upgrade.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2013 11:28 PMPosted by Eidolanic
This would normally seem like an easy question to answer "go for the higher stats" but the set bonus of getting 10% more damage reduction off shield of righteous seems like it fully fits the haste build as I can keep like a 50/60% uptime on the shield. Thoughts?

There are two things that would make you want to switch away from the 4pc.

1. A situation where you don't really care about damage reduction, such as farm content, and can gear for lulzy damage.

2. Enough extra stats from the 2-4 slots you'd be replacing to surpass the value of the setbonus. You're talking about getting the equivalent of a multiplicative 10% bonus ShoR value out of a 13 ilvl increase in 2-4 slots. It's not happening.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
There are some fights where our set bonuses are arguably worthless (when weighed against increased DPS from haste items), though:

Heroic Blade Lord (maybe normal, don't really remember what it was like with lesser gear but ShoR trivializes overwhelming assault on either mode)

Garalon

Amber Shaper

Arguably Feng

Sha of Fear

Maybe Protectors

Tsulong
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It took a while, but I've finally come to accept that our current tier 4 piece bonus is mediocre at best. Its flashy, prevents a very respectable amount of damage and *seems* like it would be great, but its actually not special.

The reason is that tanks almost never die because their healers go OOM healing them. If healers go OOM its almost always because the dps is standing in fire, not because the tank is taking 5% too much damage overall. Within a reasonably range, non-spike tank damage doesn't really matter so the 4 piece's overall damage reduction doesn't really matter (sure, its better to take less damage than more damage, but it helps less than you'd think).

When tanks die, its usually because of spike damage. The 4 piece would be good at preventing spike damage, right? Actually, not so much. The problem is that we already have a good spike damage prevention tool in normal ShoR. Paladin tanks pretty much never die to spike damage when ShoR is up, its already nearly iron-clad protection against spike death. Instead, paladin tanks die to spike damage when ShoR *isn't* up.

So, our 4 piece bonus takes our *get out of death free* card and makes it better, while doing nothing for us during the times when we might actually die. Is it useful? Of course. Taking less damage during ShoR leaves us in better shape for when ShoR wears off. Its better to have it than not to have it. But it doesn't end up doing as much for you as you'd think.
Edited by Wrathblood on 2/28/2013 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd love to replace my current helm (Garalon's Skull) with the tier helm and rock out my four set. This is largely due to the fact that I dislike my current helm, rather than my burning desire to block 58% physical as opposed to 48% physical with ShoR.

If I got my tier legs, for example, I'd toss them to ret. I ain't tradin' my sweet Jang Xi's Devastating Legplates for what is, in effect, a boatload of mastery. I like mastery, it's great, but I like haste more. Way more. I guess I'd change my tune if I were pit against Dread Thrash but for where I am now? Slightly more coverage and more damage beats a decent chunk of damage reduction.
Edited by Leucen on 2/28/2013 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If it's 10 man.. I really don't think you need it, depends on how good your healers are and smart cd usage. Even for heroic Sha, his normal Thrash's my ShoR handles no problem and Dread thrash ShoR + any cd deals with that also. (only 46% with might)
Edited by Despoina on 2/28/2013 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/28/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Leucen
This is largely due to the fact that I dislike my current helm, rather than my burning desire to block 58% physical as opposed to 48% physical with ShoR.

52.8%, not 58%. The bonus is multiplicative, not additive.
Reply Quote
the 4 set doesn't add a static 10% to your current reduction it adds %10 of what you have so closer to %3-5.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]