Why the silence nerf?

90 Tauren Druid
Monk
- Spear Hand Strike's silence has been reduced to 2 sec.

The 4 second blanket silence was extremely important since so few casters and healers ever cast anything. Monks already have terrible cc outside of our stuns, and losing the silence on spearhand strike would be like taking strangulate away from a dk. We have basically nothing against mages now, they can blink every silence and spam instants. Blanketeting with spearhand strike was an essential part of our arsenel and took a fair amount of effort to land from the front. This is a horrible change.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/254470-ptr-class-and-set-bonus-issues-part-iii/

Source, the nerf is near the bottom of the thread.
Edited by Teslabeam on 2/22/2013 1:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Likely because of the 15s CD.

To retain the 4s duration, it would likely have to be a 20-24s CD so it fell in line with the other blanket silences (Mage, Warlock and Hunter versions at least)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Mages, warlocks, and hunters don't have the land theirs from a specific direction from melee range. Also they all have 8 second ccs, which monks will not have in 5.2. Only class besides druid that has no 8 second cc, and our 6 second cc is only 4 seconds unless we land it from behind.
Edited by Teslabeam on 2/22/2013 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Yeah I gotta agree with Tesla, the 4 second silence is what made us so good against healers, and especially with most 3s team running with Hpallys who never cast its gonna make arenas a lot more difficult, our lack of real CC and having to be in front of the caster when casting it should weigh out for the CD.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Hmm. I guess it's not worth it anymore to roll over to a focus to hit this button and roll back. 2 seconds seems like a high price to pay for being stuck at range from your main target. That gives me 3 button slots back and uses up 1 somewhere else - 1 so I can just hit spear hand strike on the guy I'm currently attacking.

Ah well. Was kind of cool while it lasted.

What I would actually be qq'ing about is the hunter nerf ... if I were still maining a hunter:

Hunter
- Dismiss pet now has a 3 sec cast time (up from 2 sec). This is to discourage swapping pets in the middle of PvP to get a different form of CC.

That is soo much suck. I don't recall hunters ever dismissing pets JUST to get a different type of cc ever in pvp. On my hunter I used dismiss ...
  • Because my pet is about to die. None of my pet heals are sufficient to to heal through consistent high damage.
  • Because I need another roar of sacrifice so my teammates don't get blown up in a deep freeze every 30 seconds.
  • Edited by Ouchi on 2/22/2013 4:25 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warrior
    02/22/2013 12:42 PMPosted by Teslabeam
    Mages, warlocks, and hunters don't have the land theirs from a specific direction from melee range. Also they all have 8 second ccs, which monks will not have in 5.2. Only class besides druid that has no 8 second cc, and our 6 second cc is only 4 seconds unless we land it from behind.

This just in, melee aren't ranged.gasp!!!!
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Druid
    02/22/2013 04:39 PMPosted by Garevol

And melee aren't in demand for rbgs. And monks aren't in demand for arenas. Every single ranged class does well in rbgs. Every single ranged class does well in arenas. And yet they nerf the blanket silence for monks and leave silencing shot, counterspell, spell lock, silence, and solar beam untouched. Why nerf monks when we are the least in need of a nerf?
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Monk
    MW shouldnt have the silence, but WW should have 4 second duration.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    I can see why, but we WW need something to help us against healers...
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    02/22/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Spaceweed
    MW shouldnt have the silence, but WW should have 4 second duration.

Love your totally biased version.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    02/22/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Teslabeam

And melee aren't in demand for rbgs. And monks aren't in demand for arenas. Every single ranged class does well in rbgs. Every single ranged class does well in arenas. And yet they nerf the blanket silence for monks and leave silencing shot, counterspell, spell lock, silence, and solar beam untouched. Why nerf monks when we are the least in need of a nerf?

So ele shamans do well in arenas?
    Hah.

Quit your complaining, if you can't land it from in front of them your just doing it wrong.
    And shamans have to constantly cast to heal so it was getting ridiculous.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    This a bad change as a Windwalker monk, now I have nothing to countered if I'm rooted then feared. It takes some effort to get to a ranged targets and lock them down to do enough damage as it is. Why Nerf our only survivability again casters? Frost Mage's can blink out of fist of fury then turn around and snare and root and silent us...this a bad call blizzard change it back to 4 sec.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Had a restro druid that kept me at bay with is root and CC rotation of tangling roots and Cyclone, with this change once I get to said druid hes only silent for 2 sec I can't root or snare the druid because he can shapeshift out of anything I can try to lock him down. The spear hand is our only counter other then paralysis which at the moment can be broken on damage.
    Edited by Nakoruru on 2/23/2013 9:54 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    I say if you going to make said change put some range on it like the spell disarm.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk

So ele shamans do well in arenas?
    Hah.

Quit your complaining, if you can't land it from in front of them your just doing it wrong.
    And shamans have to constantly cast to heal so it was getting ridiculous.

What! you need to cast to heal as a shaman!? Your doing it wrong...... Ancestral Swiftness, Rip tide, Earth Shield what the hell you talking about!? Snare totems, instance fast running shape shifting...Hell your class is the best healer in arenas other then druids!!!
    Edited by Nakoruru on 2/23/2013 10:13 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Monk
    02/23/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Nakoruru
    What! you need to cast to heal as a shaman!? Your doing it wrong...... Ancestral Swiftness, Rip tide, Earth Shield what the hell you talking about!? Snare totems, instance fast running shape shifting...Hell your class is the best healer in arenas other then druids!!!

Have you ever played or played against a resto shaman? Not saying they are good or bad, but if any healer needs to cast, it's a shammy. You can't keep an arena partner alive with just earthshield, a riptide, and a 1.5 min cd. And druids are the best arena healer now?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]