Holy Paladin spell effects aren't great.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I can't believe that warlocks are getting green fire, mistweavers turn the raid into a dancing fountain, and priests can make an OMG holy explosion via Cascade or Halo or whatever it is, but Holy Paladins still have the same effect being used for most of our spells.

Beacon of Light, Flash of Light, and Holy Radiance all share the same ground glow light effect (which is also found on many trinkets). Holy Light and Divine Light look exactly the same. Light of Dawn was changed to no longer be a cone and now it just shoots straight up and looks extremely ridiculous. Also, Holy Shock, our "signature" spell is really lack luster.

Also, why does our mastery, Illuminated Healing, have no graphical effect? Holy Priests mastery Echo of Light has a sublt effect but ours is just blank.

I will commend them on Light's Hammer and Eternal Flame. Those look great but the rest of our spells need to be brought up to par.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree 100%. The animations for our spells are horrible.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dear Blizzard,

We want green Holy spells!

Signed,

Paladins.

Seriously though, I'm fine with the spells the way they are. I don't think you are considering how obnoxious those holy effects would be when they are going off every 2 seconds. Same thing with bubbles. Needless animations that are just going to slow your game down or annoy people. Not every heal or ability that gets tossed out need a loud/bright 'HERE I AM' animation tied to it.

And really, I'd think you'd be too busy looking at health bars to even enjoy flashier animation.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm fine with our effects for the most part. Holy Prism is the only spell that looks questionably awful. They could've added more pizazz to that.
Edited by Skyler on 2/24/2013 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It might be neat to have a couple golden/light orbs kinda dance around players who are affected by our mastery (ala the Relic of Chi-Ji buff orbs). But other than that, I feel like between LoD, EF, and our cooldowns--wings, GoAK, Devo, Divine Shield/Protection, BoP, etc--that if our heals were also super flashy that we'd be too much to handle!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I like my Butterfly wings!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Repentance really needs a different animation. DS got one to make it easier to dispel, why not Repentance to avoid people breaking it all the time at BGs?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I always wanted Repentance to have a beam of light on the target, maybe with the mob kneeling. Eh, I guess like the Glyph of Contemplation.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I found myself thinking about this recently. I'd definitely love to see some updated spell effects for all specs, not just Holy. I like what they've done with Crusader Strike, but other spells like Hammer of the Righteous are really, really bland. :/

02/24/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Vlada
I always wanted Repentance to have a beam of light on the target, maybe with the mob kneeling. Eh, I guess like the Glyph of Contemplation.

That would be pretty cool, actually.
Edited by Valethria on 2/24/2013 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've thought about this as well haha there should be a little more visual disparity between all of the holy paladin spells, it's a little boring to look at when EVERY spell looks the same.

Warriors as well, they coudl use a few more "sparkles" on their abilities
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I've thought about this as well haha there should be a little more visual disparity between all of the holy paladin spells, it's a little boring to look at when EVERY spell looks the same.

Warriors as well, they coudl use a few more "sparkles" on their abilities

I like the minimalist nature of warrior spell effects. That brief red pulse when you land a Raging Blow is oddly satisfying. The same goes for death knights as well.

Paladins are supposed to be different, though. For a class that's centered around the concept of a holy knight, we really don't feel that different from the other two melee plate classes. I don't play Holy, so I can't comment for them, but I could stand for a little more pizzazz when I'm rolling as Prot or Ret.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
All i know is.. if i throw a single light of dawn in pvp, i die, repeatedly, for the rest of the match. I don't have that issue on my other heals. Light of dawn is literally a come kill me i'm holy! spell.

I think our spells could be a little LESS obnoxious in that sense. Nothing like healing Alterac Valley, getting to a chokepoint battle ( i love those. so much fun ) and watching 20~40 people stop what they are doing and blowing me up.

~edit : I fully support new and better spell effects. Just as long as its not a giant "COME KILL ME!!!" beacon like light of dawn.
Edited by Scintilla on 2/25/2013 3:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Light of dawn is just the worst. I really wan't a fan of how it looked before, and now I think it looks even stupider now that it goes straight up. To me it looks like a bug and not how the spell is intentionally supposed to look. I mean I know it gets said a lot that the devs are lazy, and it's probably just a shortcut to save dev time but redesigning a spell to be totally different from it's original conception but not changing the graphic...

I don't think our spell graphics need to be over the top - seizure inducing. I do think that every spell should have it's own graphic though and I think it should be noticeable. Many other classes have some really good looking spells AND their basic spells are serviceable also. Ice lance and Frost bolt don't have the same graphic. Greater heal and heal don't have the same graphic.

And Scintilla-- we aren't supposed to be covert ops agents we are healers. And BTW there is a little add on out there called Healers Have to Die that points out healers to enemies. However, I do agree that healing effects shouldn't be neon signs.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'd rather they drastically tone down several other classes. Many of their effects are far too distracting, especially for people up in melee range where you can't even hardly tell what direction a boss is facing because he's covered in a shroud of shadow/frost/arcane/fire/nature/holy/bloody/explosive mess. It almost penalizes you for having graphics set on ultra due to all the massive effects up in melee range.
Edited by Bravehearth on 2/25/2013 8:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
The spell effects are at a happy medium currently. The less you have the more people looking for sparkles complain, and the more spell effects a class has the more attention they draw from the enemy in pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Blizzard hates paladins. Blizzard loves your money. DEAL WITH THE SPELL EFFECTS YOU WERE GIVEN IN VANILLA.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i want the old look of light of dawn back. I liked the cone out of your hand instead of the look now below your feet.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
You're not supposed to watch the effects, only the health bars.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i want the old look of light of dawn back. I liked the cone out of your hand instead of the look now below your feet.

So you'd rather have to aim it again instead of it just being some AoE?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]