Possible breach of ID security

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey o CS'ers

Thought i bring this to the GM/CM attention that battle.net IDs are apparently been transmitted while in groups.

roughly 20 mins ago, while my hunter was in Shadopan Monastery, during one of the boss fights , i had said in chat "Your students suck" in realation to the boss fight, you can proberly guess which boss :P

anyhoo, i get a wisper from one of the puggies saying "Why's it showing your battle ID for?" while my chat didnt show it, its apparently showed on theres.

If this is indeed the case, you have a serious breach of security.

The only time someone gets my Battle ID or Real ID for that matter is if i know them personally.

I just thought you would like to know that way, you can look into it and rectify a fix!

thanks for your time!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
12 Human Mage
If it is your BattleTag then that is NOT private info. That is supposed to be the public user name that shows in games. If, for example, you play D3 it shows in every game and on the forums. I suspect Starcraft is the same way but don't play so can't verify. Now, if your RealID is showing then that is a completely different matter and IS a problem! Although, if you could not see their info, then the person may have been messing with you.

Further, there are no GMs here so you are best off submitting a ticket to have the GM department look into it :) Give them the Date, time, Dungeon, your char name and server, etc so they can investigate.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
98 Draenei Mage
Um. Did you confirm if they did see your battle tag ? Like asked what it was ?

Or did you assume that just because they said they could see it they could in fact see it ?
Edited by Bluspacecow on 2/27/2013 7:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
59 Troll Druid
It does sound like a troll.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
The first thing I thought of when I saw that comment was "Your epidermis is showing".

I think I need more caffiene O.o

But yeah, if you didn't verify that they knew what your BattleTag was, they were probably just being goobers. And even if they knew your BattleTag, the worst they could do is request to add you to their friends list.
Reply Quote
they cannot log into your account if you have an authenticator even then it is a severely low chance they could actually get into the account via a man in the middle attack.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
02/27/2013 02:47 AMPosted by Romire
The only time someone gets my Battle ID or Real ID for that matter is if i know them personally.

As far as I am aware your BattleTag isn't visible through World of Warcraft except to those that you have invited as friends or are currently friends.

I'd ask the same as some of the others here, did they actually verify that they could see your BattleTag or did they just claim they could (i.e. did they tell you what they saw)?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
it sounds to me like they were trolling you unless you verified they could in fact tell you what your battletag was. either way though even if everyone in wow saw your battletag linked to your chat it wouldn't reveal anything about you or your account and all they would be able to do is send you a battletag friend request which in turn you could decline.

i use battletag as a way to friend people i don't want to see my real name and while a battletag friend can see everything your playing diablo, WoW, and starcraft 2 related they can't see your real name or any private info on your account.

nor can real id really see much private info either although they get to see your real name and requires your email address to be added as a friend which i too keep private since none of my gaming friends need to see that.
Edited by Lurus on 2/27/2013 4:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Something similiar happened to me today while in a group at HBF .. I got a message stating that I was in violation of something & needed to visit some website, which I didn't. I took a screenshot and sent it to Blizz immediately, changed pw's and I also have mobile authenticator on.

This is the first time this has happened to me ever, so assuming it must be on the rise the past week in WoW.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Something similiar happened to me today while in a group at HBF .. I got a message stating that I was in violation of something & needed to visit some website, which I didn't. I took a screenshot and sent it to Blizz immediately, changed pw's and I also have mobile authenticator on.

This is the first time this has happened to me ever, so assuming it must be on the rise the past week in WoW.

Do you Play D3, or post in their forums? In D3 you are only identified by your Battle tag in chat or groups.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I got a message stating that I was in violation of something & needed to visit some website, which I didn't.
Your issue is completely different from the OP's.

This article may be useful to you, if you come back to check on this thread:

Fake Whispers and How to Identify Phishing Emails
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/phishing
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]