Practicing Unholy

14 Blood Elf Mage
Hi, I recently have been trying out Unholy for the first time, and I'm afraid I might be doing something wrong. Basically my priorities are keeping up blood plague via plague strike and frost fever via chains of ice/icy touch. I also spend my death runes on necrotics usually, and generate these death runes via festering strike (and to extend diseases) and blood boil. Basically I have 2 questions. Should unholy frenzy be used on myself or my pet, and what is the "goal" of the spec? Is it to convert as many frost/blood runes to death runes so that you can put out more necrotics?
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
02/28/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Amber
Should unholy frenzy be used on myself or my pet, and what is the "goal" of the spec?

Given your talking about PvP, you should use it on a arena partner to break them outta CC.

02/28/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Amber
Is it to convert as many frost/blood runes to death runes so that you can put out more necrotics?

Getting off a dickton of pressure via necrotics.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Are you seeking help for PvP or PvE?

At any rate Unholy frenzy is always used on yourself, as you pet gains the benefit as well. You pet gains a percentage of your stats... be that strength, crit or haste.

As for diseases, while I am unsure of your level, you should try keeping them up with festering strike: which is used only if you have blood and frost runes to be converted into death runes.

well, until I know which side of the fence you are asking for help...this is the most I can help.
Edited by Kassadin on 2/28/2013 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Mage
PvP, and thanks
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Mage
Also, as frost I haven't given too much attention to my runes, but I realize it is pretty necessary for unholy to keep track of death runes. Are there any addons that show runes that I can put in a more visible spot, but share a similar model to the default blizzard one?
Edited by Amber on 2/28/2013 4:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
02/28/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Amber
Are there any addons that show runes that I can put in a more visible spot, but share a similar model to the default blizzard one?

Magic Runes is what I suggest.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I usually play unholy now because
1) In my honest opinion, it is the most fun out of all DK specs, for ME
2) Its dps is NOT bad, contrary to what popular beliefs are, and in 5.2, a good DW DK put up a against a good Unholy DK on a single target fight will be pulling almost the exact same dps.
3) the epeen factor. unholy is more complicated to play than frost, at the very least 2h. 2h is the poor mans frost DK (sorry i really dont want to offend 2h lovers lol). Usually people roll 2h because they like 2h, suck at dual wield, or are new to frost DKs or DKs in general.

Back on topic, Kassadin has been Unholy since as long as I can remember seeing his posts on the forums, so I highly recommend listening to his tips and tricks, as I have and they're very useful in many situations I've come across.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
03/01/2013 07:35 AMPosted by Nósduh
3) the epeen factor. unholy is more complicated to play than frost, at the very least 2h. 2h is the poor mans frost DK (sorry i really dont want to offend 2h lovers lol). Usually people roll 2h because they like 2h, suck at dual wield, or are new to frost DKs or DKs in general.

You also forgot: Or they can't get good 1 handers to replace their 2 hander.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I just restarted playing and i think out of any role aka warrior and so on death knight is the best but i have not had any dieing problems im a lvl 60 pan and only lvl 58 as of tonight death knight but unholy im really happy with but im on the evil side but i think it as good side long live the hored sorry for the poor spelling loland the run ons lol just a bad habit but go wow over all best game ever brings me closer to my lady cause well she can kick my butt any time she wants untill now lol go death knights
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I cast Unholy Frenzy on the Gargoyle when I do my burst phase.

Death Runes should be pooled to 3 for Necrotic Stacking during your burst phase.

Judging by Reinhart's videos, he's not using Festering Strike at all. So between blood boils to refresh diseases (with rolling blood) and use blood runes, icy touch for dispels/ chains of ice for control to use frost runes and scourge strike for uh runes, you should be pooling death runes to keep NS up most of the fight.

The goal of UH is sustained pressure. You spread your diseases, keep your pet buffed every time DT is up and when it's time to burst, you stack NS and pop your gargoyle.

The nice thing about Arena is free changing of talents, so don't copy a person's build because it should change depending on what comps you face.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I cast Unholy Frenzy on the Gargoyle when I do my burst phase.

Unholy Frenzy increases melee, and ranged haste, and not spell haste. The gargoyle will only gain a couple extra casts from buffs that increase spell haste, so using unholy frenzy on the gargoyle is not really doing much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]