Maximizing HPS?

90 Night Elf Druid
Hey guys. I've been reading a few sites (noxxic, icy- veins, this one) about how to improve my healing output, and I've used most of askmrrobot.com's advice as I can afford to, and I've still only managed half the output of other healers in lfr. I was running oom halfway through fights, so I reforged more into spirit. Still, I'm lucky to get 44k per boss fight. I am seeing other get 44k- 80k on these fights, and they either have a lower gear score or pvp gear on, so I know I'm capable of doing much better. I don't have the best gems yet (or the weapon enchant!) but I am working on it.

This is what I do:
Renew on tanks and those taking light damage. (and swiftmend, usually for the tanks)
Three stacks of lifebloom on the tank taking the most damage.
Wild growth when it's available.
Tranquility when it's up and there's enough damage to justify it.
Healing Touch if I have time, Regrowth if I don't.

If you can help, thank you very much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's lfr. You're a druid. There's practically no way for you to keep up because... The fights are balanced around having 3 decent healers. Druids don't have the ability to snipe, so they end up looking bad.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
02/26/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Keirisonis
It's lfr. You're a druid. There's practically no way for you to keep up because... The fights are balanced around having 3 decent healers. Druids don't have the ability to snipe, so they end up looking bad.

And that's just the truth, Tsulong is usually pretty fair game in lfr for healers, though.

It's a nice mix of testing your aoe healing in night phase while testing your single target healing the boss in day phase.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
My two cents ...

It's LFR. You can do the exact same thing with the exact same gear week after week, and depending on what other healers are doing, you might push 90k HPS with little overhealing or 45k HPS with tons of overhealing. If you start real raiding, the thing you'll be looking at is "are people being healed, and if you have an assigned target, is that target staying healed?

This is what I do:
Renew on tanks and those taking light damage. (and swiftmend, usually for the tanks)

I assume you mean Rejuv, not Renew. That's about right, but I'm more conservative on RJ - I use it on raid members who I know will be taking damage (e.g. Windstep targets on Bladelord), or raid members who have taken damage but don't need an immediate/cast heal.

That's good. I'd consider taking the Lifebloom glyph so you can move LB between tanks at will.

That's good, as long as you're casting it such that it's hitting multiple players and you're not using it when no one has damage to heal.

Tranquility when it's up and there's enough damage to justify it

Don't be afraid to use Tranq. In LFR, there is rarely a time when a tranq is needed to save the raid. In a 10m/25m situation, it's likely that a raid-wide healing CD rotation will be set, so you'll know when you'll be expected to use it.

Healing Touch isn't worth the cast time. Here is info pulled from an HoF 10m run I did earlier this month ...

Regrowth average heal: 73419.70
Healing Touch average heal: 122,683.60 **
** Note: every single one of those HTs were cast with Nature's Swiftness, which increases the amount healed by 50%. So it follows that the amount healed by HT without NS would be basically the same as that healed by RG, but with a much faster cast time for RG.

Which leads me to GLYPHS ...

Right now you have two questionable glyph choices. Your Rebirth Glyph ... you're only going to use it once per fight, and Rebirth now brings back at, what, 60%? Back when an unglyphed Rebirth only rezzed to 20%, that glyph was great. And your Rejuvenation Glyph ... Nourish is slow and small. Even with the bonus provided by the glyph, it is outpaced by RG, and if there's enough damage going on that you'd need 3+ RJs going, casting Nourish is likely not possible.

Go back to the paragraph about HT versus RG healing. The reason my RG heals equal what my HT heals (excluding NS) are is because of the RG glyph. RG glyph guarantees a crit, every single time. So that turns RG into a big heal that plants a Living Seed. Sweet.

Talents?

You picked Cenarian Ward over Nature's Swiftness. Right now, CW is ... not great. NS has been great for years, and continues to be great.

Gear/Stats?

You're doing well with what you have. You're enchanted. You have a DPS trinket, but at least it's giving you static Intellect until you can get a healing trinket. But here's a biggie:

** You have unneeded Haste points.

The magic number for resto druid haste is 3043. That gives you extra ticks of RJ, WG, LB and Tranq. The next significant threshold for extra ticks isn't until 6652. So right now, you have 539 points of Haste that are doing nothing other than decreasing the cast time of your cast spells by a tiny fraction, and quickening the ticks of your HoTs by a tiny fraction. You will get more bang for the buck by forging/gemming out of some Haste and into either Mastery or Spirit (the latter if you're feeling mana starved, the former if you're OK with mana).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
LFR is full of disc priests stacking DA raid-wide. Come 5.2, this will be no longer possible.

There's litereally nothing for you to do. Don't worry about it.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Hey guys. I've been reading a few sites (noxxic, icy- veins, this one) about how to improve my healing output, and I've used most of askmrrobot.com's advice as I can afford to, and I've still only managed half the output of other healers in lfr. I was running oom halfway through fights, so I reforged more into spirit. Still, I'm lucky to get 44k per boss fight. I am seeing other get 44k- 80k on these fights, and they either have a lower gear score or pvp gear on, so I know I'm capable of doing much better. I don't have the best gems yet (or the weapon enchant!) but I am working on it.

This is what I do:
Tranquility when it's up and there's enough damage to justify it.

If you can help, thank you very much.

Druid above already summed it up pretty well but in case his post was TL:DR

First off, it's LFR. LFR doesn't mean crap at all. Specially for a Resto Druid. You're going to get sniped, and if you're oom before 50% of an encounter I can pretty much guarantee you're just starring at the meters trying to compete and foolishly blowing your mana

Rejuv on tanks; That's good, check.

Swiftmend usually for tanks; Ummm..Swiftmend = Great AoE heal, our best one. If that's only going to hit the tank, you've wasted one of our most important spells. Should almost always be used in a position where it will hit at least 3 targets. I only use it on the tank when he's critically low and he is going to die because my Natures Swiftness is on cooldown and I do not have another instant big heal. (That's another thing, you should be using NS and not the garbage Cenarion Ward)

Wild Growth when it's available; Good

Tranquility when it's up and theres enough damage to justify it: It's LFR. Not even needed in LFR. But otherwise only use it on big mechanics/boss abilities (ie Rain of blades after all adds are dead)

Healing touch if you have time; Bad. Never ever use HT. Glyph Regrowth and only use that. Heals are bigger, faster and the mana cost is the same.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thank you so much, guys, I have implemented what you suggested. I'm glad to see Regrowth will be the better choice!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Since Kanggarroo pretty much said it all, I'll just add:

try to symbiosis a shaman for his spiritwalker's grace. It's useful on some fights, and never a bad one to have. If you have a better choice for the fight, go with that, but it's especially good on:

Lei Shi, use spiritwalker's grace so you can tranq during "get away".

and

Wind Lord bug-guy, you can run up the hallway while casting tranq in the second phase.

Also, it looks like you switched your glyphs, but you took the wrong lifebloom one. Glyph of blooming.. unless I'm very mistaken, this appears to be an awful glyph. I suggest glyph of lifebloom instead, which lets you switch your stack between tanks.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The only other thing I can add is to know the damage patterns for the fights. Wild Growth is very front-loaded, the biggest part of the heal happens right at the beginning, so casting it a bit too soon will lead to lower effective healing. Also, as someone else noted, using Swiftmend on the tank every time isn't always the best use of it. There are a number of times I will use Swiftmend on myself, as I can guarantee it will get the most out of Efflo.

Don't be afraid to use Mushrooms. Yes, they are relatively weak and annoying, but they can do a hefty amount of healing if people are standing on them, especially in a 25 man raid group. Since ranged DPS in LFR like to do nothing but stand and cast the entire fight, and the melee scrum piles often end up being fairly static (especially on Wind-Lord who'samajiggy (or is it Blade-Lord? I get those two confused. The one after Garalon.) and Empress), you can get a decent bang for your mana buck with mushrooms there on those burst AoE abilities.
Edited by Pipikaula on 2/27/2013 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]