Holy Priest Mastery

90 Night Elf Priest
Holy mastery should be changed, almost every other mastery for healers in the game works off every heal. Echo's of Light doesnt work off Renew, Holy Word: Sanctuary, Lightspring/lightwell renew, and on top of that Echo's of Light over heals way too much, all the other healing mastery's (especially gift of the serpent) avoid overhealing.

Illuminated Healing doesn't over heal, because unless you are overhealing to put it up, it almost always gets absorbed. Shield Discipline doesn't over heal unless ur just dumb and bubble everyone when no dmg is going out, and if u do that then GG u deserve the over healing. Gift of the Serpent orb will not go off if you are at full health, so the only over healing you get is if there is very very very tiny raid dmg going out. Deep Healing increases your healing when your target gets lower on health, so unless u get a greater healing wave crit from god you're not gunna over heal with that. And harmony is just a base healing increase across the board.

And Echo's of Light, no matter how little or big the damage gets if people hit full health within 6 seconds of you healing them, u WILL over heal, making it not as viable as other healer mastery's. On every single fight echo's of light is my top over heal, with cascade a close second. When I look at other healer's over healing, I never see illuminated healing, or bubbles from a disc priest, never see gift of the serpent, either, and shammy and druid is just healing increases.

As for Holy I think we should have a mastery more like druids considering we are quite HoT based. Thats just my personal opinion though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Echo of Light is fine. Sure, it overheals which is the nature of pretty much any hot, but it is also quite often a fairly large portion of my healing (probably anywhere from 8-12% depending on fight mechanics). All of which is FREE healing. And I find it funny that you use Gift of the Serpent as an example of a better mastery. Pretty sure Mistweaver's avoid mastery cause it is a terrible stat for them, where as focusing on stacking mastery (after spirit) is a very common gearing strategy for holy priests.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Mastery is ok, it can lead to a lot of over healing though. I am a 25 man Holy priest so haste is not an option. I choose crit. RNG haters will emo on me but mastery and haste are pretty par. I love the crit heals that save the day. Besides would you rather get a huge burst after a boss special or a lingering heal like the smell of a woman in your bed after she has left? My only wish is that they would up the % of crit per point it's on the low side.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/28/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Nighttstorm
RNG haters will emo on me

yes, yes i will...
02/28/2013 12:19 PMPosted by Barbo
which is FREE healing

Love you... hit the nail on the head. It's free overhealing, so it doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
EoL works just fine the way it is.

It isn't meant to be a direct healing power multiplier at all.
EoL is meant to be this soft and insulating heal buffer that interacts with the majority of your spells. Also I have found EoL to work with the initial renew heal and Sanc isn't a DoT (afaik) so EoL should be applying. So not really understanding your complaint.

Plus it is FREE HEALING. Who gives a crap if it overheals? It's FREE.
Saying overhealing from a free heal is non-viable is just silly.
Edited by Delirious on 2/28/2013 10:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
EoH works just fine the way it is.

What's a EoH?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Sucks that it doesn't work with Renew/Sanc but it's still probably my favorite healer mastery.

It's also pretty hilarious on Tsulong/Garalon.

And MW mastery doesn't do any overhealing because it also doesn't do any healing.
Edited by Dysrhythmia on 2/28/2013 10:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I couldn't help thinking that Holy mastery doesn't work with HoTs is for better computer performance; less computation of how little HoTs changes into other little HoTs.

I still remember on Ultraxion 25, if I take Green as Holy, I'd bring everyone's FPS to single digit, if they monitor health on their raid frames.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I couldn't help thinking that Holy mastery doesn't work with HoTs is for better computer performance; less computation of how little HoTs changes into other little HoTs.

I still remember on Ultraxion 25, if I take Green as Holy, I'd bring everyone's FPS to single digit, if they monitor health on their raid frames.

I don't see why it can't just be a flat bonus to Renew/Sanc/Lightwell.

It'd take away a bit of the flavor, I guess, but at least it'd make the stat useful for those spells.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think it's just because a HoT of a HoT is kind of meta and weird.

Ultraxion is what made me turn off healing combat text permanently, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/28/2013 10:13 PMPosted by Taheraliel
EoH works just fine the way it is.

What's a EoH?

sorry, wasn't thinking while typing up abbreviations.

Edited and fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/28/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Nighttstorm
Mastery is ok, it can lead to a lot of over healing though. I am a 25 man Holy priest so haste is not an option. I choose crit. RNG haters will emo on me but mastery and haste are pretty par. I love the crit heals that save the day. Besides would you rather get a huge burst after a boss special or a lingering heal like the smell of a woman in your bed after she has left? My only wish is that they would up the % of crit per point it's on the low side.

This is my style of healing as well, the way I look at it, is haste makes u spend more mana, no matter how you look at it, and well mastery just does too much overhealing. And I personally dont care about the RNG of it because when it comes to fights like windlord where you have rain of blades and you get 3crits in a row on circle of healing, prayer of healing and prayer of mending, you're lol'ing at the other healers and u used half the mana u would have and unlike mastery it doesnt take 6 seconds to benefit from it.

I just wish mastery was a healing increase rather than a heal over time, because by stacking crit, your crit heals give you the same Echo's of Light that stackin mastery would, so mastery is just not that great, or at least in my eyes.

Plus it is FREE HEALING. Who gives a crap if it overheals? It's FREE.
Saying overhealing from a free heal is non-viable is just silly.

It's not free healing, you have to get mastery to get that healing (above the 8 point mastery base) so its just not viable against the other 2 secondary stats.
Edited by Discbathsalt on 3/1/2013 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
This is bringing up bad memories for me. :/
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Holy mastery should be changed, almost every other mastery for healers in the game works off every heal. Echo's of Light doesnt work off Renew, Holy Word: Sanctuary, Lightspring/lightwell renew, and on top of that Echo's of Light over heals way too much, all the other healing mastery's (especially gift of the serpent) avoid overhealing.

Illuminated Healing doesn't over heal, because unless you are overhealing to put it up, it almost always gets absorbed. Shield Discipline doesn't over heal unless ur just dumb and bubble everyone when no dmg is going out, and if u do that then GG u deserve the over healing. Gift of the Serpent orb will not go off if you are at full health, so the only over healing you get is if there is very very very tiny raid dmg going out. Deep Healing increases your healing when your target gets lower on health, so unless u get a greater healing wave crit from god you're not gunna over heal with that. And harmony is just a base healing increase across the board.

And Echo's of Light, no matter how little or big the damage gets if people hit full health within 6 seconds of you healing them, u WILL over heal, making it not as viable as other healer mastery's. On every single fight echo's of light is my top over heal, with cascade a close second. When I look at other healer's over healing, I never see illuminated healing, or bubbles from a disc priest, never see gift of the serpent, either, and shammy and druid is just healing increases.

As for Holy I think we should have a mastery more like druids considering we are quite HoT based. Thats just my personal opinion though.

lol@you saying monk mastery>holy priest mastery. You silly goose. Holy priest mastery is fine.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
03/01/2013 09:00 AMPosted by Discbathsalt
It's not free healing, you have to get mastery to get that healing

uhh... what?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
It's been said many times, but just to recap:

Holy priest mastery is a back end effect which renders Holies back line healers. If there's a lot of damage going out, swamping the front line (shielding) healers, Holy mastery is excellent because it's pure throughput and, in a high damage situation, won't simply result in overheal. Holies win in high damage situations where the healing team is lean and taxed.

In a low damage situation however, with a surfeit of heals, the front liners will (purposely or inadvertently) snipe a lot of the incoming healing and hence the raw healing holies, and their mastery, will seem weaker in comparison. Their healing potential hasn't changed at all of course. The front liners are just dealing with the situation (in advance in the case of the shielders).

Bottom line: if Holy priest mastery is all going to overhealing in all likelihood the raid has too many healers. Dumb/simplistic analysis of the heals meter can lead to "cut the useless holy priests". Truth is of course that the correct solution is to look at getting the healer with the strongest offspec to swap to dps (assuming the remaining healers are all strong healers normally).

Alternatively, you as an individual Holy priest, can change to high crit (and high haste) in an effort to try to shift your emphasis from back end to front end healing. To try to grab a bigger slice of the healing pie (and presumably/hopefully redistribute the overhealing load to the other healers). I personally think that's kind of like "cutting the useless Holy priest" though.

I think quite a few of us would say that thinning your total heals team to a number appropriate for the encounter and have those remaining healing to their fullest extent is "an approach not without merit" for a smart raid.
Edited by Aerry on 3/1/2013 6:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/01/2013 06:27 PMPosted by Aerry
Alternatively, you as an individual Holy priest, can change to high crit (and high haste) in an effort to try to shift your emphasis from back end to front end healing. To try to grab a bigger slice of the healing pie (and presumably/hopefully redistribute the overhealing load to the other healers). I personally think that's kind of like "cutting the useless Holy priest" though.

Well the situation I'm in is "Go Disc, or get out" because of meter !@#$%s that wanna hang their head over the fact that the holy pally "steals" all the heals with his, much much much stronger mastery. Whereas Echo's of Light was always under 4% of my healing and and my top over heal until I went crit stack, and still had to go Disc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If it's under 4% of your healing than you might have too many healers for the given encounter. I was going back over my old logs and echo of light was averaging 12-14% of my total effective healing while overhealing for roughly 40-50%, which for a hot is pretty normal. Of course on fights with more consistent dmg echoes did a bit better than on fights without.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
03/02/2013 09:30 AMPosted by Discbathsalt
Well the situation I'm in is "Go Disc, or get out" because of meter !@#$%s that wanna hang their head over the fact that the holy pally "steals" all the heals with his, much much much stronger mastery. Whereas Echo's of Light was always under 4% of my healing and and my top over heal until I went crit stack, and still had to go Disc.

Will this get worse in 5.2? Because pally will have his always-there little bubble, but disc would have I-don't-know-who-will-get-it big bubble, with a smaller heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/02/2013 11:37 AMPosted by Jesminia

Will this get worse in 5.2? Because pally will have his always-there little bubble, but disc would have I-don't-know-who-will-get-it big bubble, with a smaller heal.

After playing the PTR Holy pallies are in roughly the same spot, my Disc healing may do a little better because the divine aegis from atonement is mana efficient and for the most part, bigger than the divine aegis that I have been getting. As for Holy havent seen much change to it so as gear usually scales crit will get stronger and Mastery will get weaker( or at least when healing with a Holy Pally)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]