Warlock weapon question

100 Undead Warlock
I'm still fairly new and can't figure out if a wand like Wand of Sseratus with lots of spell power or a staff like Berto's Staff with crit and haste is better. Which is better for a lil zombie like me?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Lux
Well, those are two bad weapons to compare, given that one is 100 ilvls higher, and also an agility staff.

But it doesn't matter what weapon type it is: go for intellect and spell power. That's your highest priority.
Reply Quote
76 Orc Hunter
Don't worry about crit and haste until you're level 90. They're not worth deliberately stacking until then.
Edited by Nok on 2/22/2013 10:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
They're perfectly valid to compare, it's the whole point of asking here.

The main difference to look for in gear is the stats, notably the main stats of Strength/Intellect/Agility. Of those, warlocks only benefit from Intellect, the other two are useless, so forgoing them for secondary stats like Crit and Haste can actually gimp your character. Locks and mages also need to watch for Spirit, because that stat is only useful for classes with a healing spec -- it'll show up once in a while, but don't go looking for it, and if something like that wand drops, let the healer have first pick.

Also notice the amount of the stats (aka "stat budget"), and the item level. Each expansion introduces new gear that's more powerful, and it's really apparent around level 80 when you're finding things from Northrend, then the Cata zones like Mount Hyjal. Besides a more obvious tell like the source being a Northrend dungeon, the wand is also an older item because the amount of stats are relatively low when compared to newer gear. Identifying gear becomes easier over time, because eventually you'll see lots and lots of it, and you'll be able to deduce whether or not it's worth equipping. Those two pieces can appear even more confusing since the Northrend wand can't be equipped until 80, but the newer Cata staff was available at 78.

Right now you'll want to be questing in the Cata zones, because mobs in Northrend won't be giving much XP anymore, and the gear isn't actually a worthwhile improvement. You're eligible to quest in Deepholm, and there's some good Intellect gear there, including at least one trinket that will be a very major update.
Edited by Drewb on 2/22/2013 10:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Thanks. Yeah my trinkets are pretty suckish, and I keep looking at AH but everything has been way too high or way worse. Wah wah.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
As a warlock you'll focus on Intellect & Spellpower. Crit, Haste, Mastery, & Hit are nice - but as you're leveling you'll get enough. Once you hit 90 you'll want to focus on your secondary stats a bit more.

The other thing to consider when comparing weapons is you can't just compare staff to a wand/sword/dagger. You have to compare the staff to whatever main hand/off-hand combination you have.

Generally speaking, I've always found that I use a staff while leveling, and then switch to MH/OH at level cap. But it just depends on what gear you have.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
OK, So... Finally got to 85 after a string of good runs. Hopefully I'm understanding that I want Staff of Siphoned Essences instead of Darkling Staff because of the spell power, instead of having dps. Right?...maybe?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
94 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're looking at, that makes you think that the Darkling Staff is any good for you. :o It has Agility on it as a primary stat, which is no good to warlocks.

You always want Intellect as your primary stat. (Spell Power is also similar to Intellect.) When comparing the two items, don't even look at the Darkling Staff. That is an item meant for druids and monks (their melee DPS and tanking specs, specifically).

A few other things I notice whilst browsing your armory--Spirit is completely useless to warlocks. While you may equip gear with Intellect/Spirit on it (because the Intellect is good for you), it's preferable to find something just as good or better without any Spirit on it. Spirit is only useful for healing classes/specs. :3
Edited by Cerylia on 2/24/2013 9:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
Ignore the damage numbers.

Casters don't use staves to whack things.

Your weapon is a "stat stick".
You only wear it for the stats.

As a caster, the stat you want most is intellect.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're looking at, that makes you think that the Darkling Staff is any good for you. :o It has Agility on it as a primary stat, which is no good to warlocks.

You always want Intellect as your primary stat. (Spell Power is also similar to Intellect.) When comparing the two items, don't even look at the Darkling Staff. That is an item meant for druids and monks (their melee DPS and tanking specs, specifically).

Yes. Sandrinea, ignore any piece of gear that does not have Intellect on it (except maybe some trinkets, since they can have weird itemization).

The "damage per second" listed on a weapon is the damage caused when you use the weapon to attack something. As a warlock, you should never be using your staff as a weapon. You use spells to do damage, not your weapon.
Edited by Amandalynn on 2/24/2013 9:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hopefully I'm understanding that I want Staff of Siphoned Essences instead of Darkling Staff because of the spell power, instead of having dps. Right?

Right. Like the others said, you want spell power, not dps, and the main identifier is that one has Intellect (a caster stat that also increases spell power), the other doesn't.

Gratz on 85! Now you getta replace all that gear xD

Pandaria quests can make upgrading easier, because you'll only be given the gear that's appropriate for you, so no worries of the occasional piece with Spirit or Agility on it (and FWIW Spirit can be reforged into something more useful like Hit, Agility can't). Your gear will generally be just what you need, but the secondary stats (Hit/Mastery/Haste/Crit) are going to be fluctuating like crazy until you hit 90 and can start collecting the gear that you'll be using for a longer time. Int trinkets don't appear as often, but you'll get quite a few for the secondary stats, and I think right now Demo locks favour Mastery and Haste more than Crit.
Edited by Drewb on 2/24/2013 11:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Thank you all. I'm still pretty new, been playing less that 2 months total, and I was doing it ask wrong before. I've been switching things as I found them, just spent all my money on flying mount. So I'm switching everything to int and haste so the stats are just extra, as long as the lot improve armor or .
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
So I'm switching everything to int and haste so the stats are just extra, as long as the lot improve armor or .

actually no, the armor rating for a warlock (or any ranged DPS or healer, actually) is completely secondary. The stat bonuses (intellect, haste, hit, crit, expertise, spell power, etc) are the sole reason for equipping anything at all as a warlock. And the weapon DPS and base damage is also completely useless to you since you won't be hitting things over the head with your weapon.

Also, what class/spec you play will determine what stats are useful to you. For example, as a warlock you need those stats I just listed. As a rogue, I'd be very ineffective and die a lot if I wore items with intellect and spell power on them since my abilities instead look for agility and attack power.

Here's the basic breakdown of what abilities you need to look for as a warlock and why:

Intellect: for every point of intellect you get 1 point of spell power plus a little bit of another stat.

Spell Power: increases the amount of base damage your spells will do

Haste: Decreases the amount of time you have to wait between triggering abilities on the global cool down, also increases the number of "ticks" your DoT's (damage over time) abilities get in before they wear off your target.

Hit: decreases the chance that your abilities will miss the target (in RP terms for example, the spell goes awry and hits a nearby tree)

Crit: Increases the chance that your abilities will randomly do double damage

Expertise: Decreases the chance that your target will successfully dodge your attack (in RP terms for example, your attack would have hit them if they didn't manage to duck out of the way)

Now some of these you'll want to focus on more than others, but all will benefit you somewhat. Intellect/spellpower should be your first priority though, the rest will follow.

At level cap you'll be at the same level long enough to seek out items, enchants, gems, and reforge to get the most optimal mix of those stats.

As for looking for damage stats on weapons, only classes that use their weapons as part of their attack need to pay attention to that figure. As for looking at the armor bonus on the rest of your gear, only classes that are tanks (and to a lesser extent, melee DPS) need to pay attention to that figure. For you as a warlock, ignore both of those and go for the stats I listed.
Edited by Avanna on 2/25/2013 8:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Cool, thanks all for your help, and Avanna; thank you for explaining all those things, I have so much general understanding to learn still this was a big help.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Holy crap I noticed a huge difference immediately. I've been doing everything wrong, LOL.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
02/25/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Sandrinea
Holy crap I noticed a huge difference immediately. I've been doing everything wrong, LOL.

We've all been there and have done really newbish things to an unusually high character level before we figured out something was up. For example, it took me until my first character was level 60 or so before I figured out what the auction house was and what it was for. I'm saddened when I think of all the rare recipes, rare items, and general crafting mats that I sold to vendors in my ignorance during those levels and the gold earning I missed out on while doing so.

I was also wearing the odd intellect piece, on this character, until level 70ish because I thought the armor rating mattered more than the stats. I also thought that the stats in WoW worked similar to those in D&D, where all stats can benefit your character in some way, just some are more important depending on what character you are playing. So I figured the intellect was making my character perform better ie "out thinking" my opponent when it came to dodges, blocks, and weapon skill. Yup, not how WoW works at all.
Edited by Avanna on 2/25/2013 8:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/25/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Sandrinea

Your weapon is the single biggest source of damage for your character, so it's not surprising that going from effectively leaving the slot blank to using something effective made a noticeable difference. For switching to alts, you will do fine leveling if you figure out what kind of weapon your class/spec likes and what main stat you want, then stick to those types of items.
Reply Quote
38 Troll Warlock
I really need help on a warlock its my first time playing a warlock im level 36 and I do not know what weapon I should use please write to me agin.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
06/17/2014 10:40 AMPosted by Trioti
I really need help on a warlock its my first time playing a warlock im level 36 and I do not know what weapon I should use please write to me agin.

Firstly, it's always a better idea to start your own thread instead of bumping up an old one. There's the constant risk of bumping up outdated information.

Now, on to your question: It doesn't matter what kind of weapon your Warlock uses, so long as it has Intellect in its stats. No matter what, focus on Intellect Intellect Intellect. That goes the same for any other gear you have. Don't bother with Strength or Agility. Just Intellect.

You see, as a Warlock, you are a spellcaster. That's where all of your damage comes from. It's not a matter of hitting things with a stick but instead as ripping them a new one with magic. And the way to increase the damage done by magical spells is with the Intellect stat. Everything else is fairly useless to you because of this.
Reply Quote
93 Undead Warlock
The first thing you'll want to understand about gear is what your main stat is. As a warlock you'll want Intel since Strength and Agility do nothing for you. None of your gear should have anything with Strength or Agility on it. After you get that sorted out you'll also want higher level gear. The higher the item level, the better. The only time you'll consider a lower item level piece over a higher level piece is if the lower IL piece is your BIS (beast in slot). There is some heroic ToT gear that is better for my lock than some normal SoO gear, even though it's a lower tier raid. Now after you fully understand your stat priority you need to know how combat as a caster works. The dps stat you see on your weapons is irrelevant. You should never be smacking someone with a staff or shooting them with a wand. The only attacks you should be using are your spells. I know it seems dumb to even bother having a weapon as a caster to a new player, but you'll need the stats from your weapon in order to do more damage with your spells. Now some people will tell you that the staff or main hand/off hand combo is your preference, but it's not once your at max level. As always use whatever is the highest item level, unless something with a lower item level has more important secondary stats. When you start nearing end game content you'll want to focus on having a main hand (wand, dagger or sword) and off hand combo due to enchants. You can put the same enchants on one handed weapons as you can on a staff, but you can also enchant an off hand as well, giving you more overall stats than if you had a staff. The only reason a staff is useful to anyone is if you're playing a class who can't use a one hander with the appropriate stats, like a balance druid. To my knowledge they can't use one handed intel weapons, so they need an intel staff.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]