Newbie healer

39 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi all;

So this guy is my first ever healing toon. It's a very different job, and much harder, than my DPS main. I plan on leveling mostly through running dungeons, and I have some questions for the group about that:

Gear: I know I want intellect/spirit mail at this level, but I am not seeing a lot of it. Am I justified in needing on intellect/spirit cloth or leather until i see more mail with the right stats? Is this understood or should I make a point of asking beforehand?

Interface: the default interface setup is not working for me. My heals are at the bottom of the screen and player portraits are in the top corner. This is super awkward as I have to click on the person I want to heal and then go hunting for the power I want to use on them, leading to misclicks and delays, and that is not good. Should I look into add-ons? Are there ways I can change the default interface to make it more effective? I know you can select teammates with function keys but I'm not finding that to be much better.

Any other general advice for newbie healers you want to pass on would be appreciated as well!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hi all;

So this guy is my first ever healing toon. It's a very different job, and much harder, than my DPS main. I plan on leveling mostly through running dungeons, and I have some questions for the group about that:

Gear: I know I want intellect/spirit mail at this level, but I am not seeing a lot of it. Am I justified in needing on intellect/spirit cloth or leather until i see more mail with the right stats? Is this understood or should I make a point of asking beforehand?

You don't get the bonus from wearing all plate until level 50. And, to be honest, until you hit Outland/Northrend, there's almost no intellect plate to be had anyway. Need on anything and everything that you can use - cloth, leather, mail, whatever. Especially if it has Spirit on it.

Interface: the default interface setup is not working for me. My heals are at the bottom of the screen and player portraits are in the top corner. This is super awkward as I have to click on the person I want to heal and then go hunting for the power I want to use on them, leading to misclicks and delays, and that is not good. Should I look into add-ons? Are there ways I can change the default interface to make it more effective? I know you can select teammates with function keys but I'm not finding that to be much better.

Addons are great, but you CAN change your interface to make things look better. Go into Interface - Raid Profiles and check the option that says "Use raid frames in party." Then make sure it's always active when you're in a party. Pay attention to the little boxes. Also, make sure you have debuffs enabled, and choose "see only debuffs I can dispel." That will make things easier.

When the raid bars pop out, you can actually move them around your screen and lock them in place. You can also change the size of the bars a bit.

As far as clicking and having issues with that, I have a solution that doesn't involve addons: Mouseover Macros. So, here's what you do:

1) Pick a spell. Let's go with Flash of Light, since I believe you have that at your level.

2) Go into your macro menu and make a macro that says the following:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover] Flash of Light

That's it. That's all you have to do. Now bind that button to #1 on your keyboard. All you have to do is mouse over the frame of the person you want to heal or dispel and press the appropriate keybind.

You can also look into addons like Clique (basically does the mouseover macro part for you, and frees up bind space, too, by binding everything to a mixture of mouse clicks and button presses like ctrl, shift, and alt), Grid 2 (raid replacement frames, somewhat complicated to set up but you can mix and match what you want to use for your frames), or VuhDo (which takes Clique and Grid and basically combines them, replacing your raid frames with a very customizable frame AND allowing you to bind all of your heals to various clicks and button presses in the addon itself).

Any other general advice for newbie healers you want to pass on would be appreciated as well!

1) Don't be afraid to ask to stop to drink.
2) Don't let people bully you.
3) Speak up if you can't keep up or are having a problem. Some tanks will be jerks, but not all of them are.
4) Make sure to stick to your tank like glue. In most situations, your top priority is first keeping yourself alive and then keeping the tank alive.
5) If your tank is being obtuse or just being a jerk, find a dependable DPS and heal him instead. As long as you don't have threat, most DPS can tank anything in the lower level dungeons.
6) Bring water. 9 times out of 10 you won't use it, but every now and then...
Reply Quote
30 Pandaren Monk
I've not leveled a healing paladin, so I can't help too much with the gear question except to say that while the cloth/leather healing gear may be a significant upgrade for you, you should check to see if any others in the group that can use it are not in need of it (at level 17, INT/SPI leather is wanted by 4 specs (Resto & Ele Shaman and Resto & Balance Druids) while INT/SPI cloth is used by all of the cloth wearing classes). You can get mail (and later on plate) with INT/SPI on it from both the random dungeon bags and from some of the dungeon quests. Once you hit level 50, it is better to be in full plate to get the 5% bonus to INT.

I have recently changed my interface to ElvUI. It is a complete reworking of the UI and had a completely different look to the original UI. It can be customized reasonably well and through the internal setup, you can choose the healer layout (has the raid frames above the action bars). Decursive is another valuable addon that I use to help in removing debuffs quickly. The usual DBM and threat/damage meters (I personally use Skada) should not be forgotten as well for the same reasons why tanks & DPS use them. Most important is to find the setup that you prefer to use though.

I have also just started using mouseover marcos as well so I don't have to click on unit frames and between pointing and using keybinds I can heal most people quicker now. Mouseover Marcos should be as follow:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover] <spell name>

Other than that, hope you enjoy healing.

Addon / UI downloads mentioned in this post:
ElvUI download - http://www.tukui.org/dl.php
Deadly Boss Mods (list contains the older content mods as well) - http://www.curse.com/search?type=addons&search=deadly+boss+mods
Decusive - http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/decursive
Skada - http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/skada

Addons Mentioned by Tiriél:
Cilque - http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/clique
Grid2 - http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/grid2
VuhDo - http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/vuhdo

EDIT: Also, consider everything said by Tiriél in the post before this post as well - it is all correct and was done while I was posting myself so I added the addons mentioned by them
Edited by Daiyung on 2/23/2013 9:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Until you get to a higher level, wear whatever you can find that has intellect on it. Especially if it also has spirit. At about level 80 is where it actually starts to matter that you're all in plate. Also, conveniently, it also becomes farrrrr more prevalent to find plate healing drops then.

You definitely want a healing addon or mouseover macros to heal. Don't rely on clicking a person, then clicking a heal. It will cause a LOT of deaths. I recommend vuhdo because it's customizable and you can make it look pretty much the way you want.

Also... What the !@#$ people. Why haven't you mentioned bartender? It's this nifty little addon that allows you to change the position of your action bars and make your screen look a bit less spread out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Until you get to a higher level, wear whatever you can find that has intellect on it. Especially if it also has spirit. At about level 80 is where it actually starts to matter that you're all in plate. Also, conveniently, it also becomes farrrrr more prevalent to find plate healing drops then.

You definitely want a healing addon or mouseover macros to heal. Don't rely on clicking a person, then clicking a heal. It will cause a LOT of deaths. I recommend vuhdo because it's customizable and you can make it look pretty much the way you want.

Also... What the !@#$ people. Why haven't you mentioned bartender? It's this nifty little addon that allows you to change the position of your action bars and make your screen look a bit less spread out.

Because I hate Bartender and use ElvUI.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/23/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Tiriél
I hate Bartender

Bartender is fun to use though. I have all my action bars in a little cluster under my character and I don't have to deal with all the rigamarole from Elvui to get it functioning. :P
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Hello, Tydrol.
Hi all;

So this guy is my first ever healing toon. It's a very different job, and much harder, than my DPS main. I plan on leveling mostly through running dungeons...

First I'd like to say this: keep in mind that the ease of healing through these low level dungeons doesn't directly compare to the difficulty of level cap dungeons (until you over gear those, of course). I've been healing mostly at level cap for years and was a little appalled when I made a low level healer and saw how easy it was to keep the group topped.

If no one else in you group needs the item, then feel free to need on it but I highly suggest you ask first otherwise it makes you look like a douche imo.

The only addon I use to help heal is VuhDo: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info14239-VuhDo.html
Everything else is the original interface for me.
That said, I do make large use of macros. For example, my most used macro is one where I have Nature's Swiftness and Healing Touch bound together. I suggest checking out your class forums and such to get an idea of what might be useful.
I don't think mouse-over stuff is necessary at all. :P But if you try that and like it, then go for it.

02/23/2013 07:58 PMPosted by Tydrol

1. Don't let tanks run the instance. You, as well as DPS, have control and say-so over matters, too.
2. Don't be afraid to tell someone to slow down, stop doing something, or to give other instructions.
3. Try to keep up with your group and don't get far behind because you're staring at the pretty design on the wall or something.
4. Don't worry about it if someone dies. It will happen. It shouldn't happen that often, but it will occur at some point and don't let someone abuse you because of a mistake (or it being the dead player's fault).
5. Get a very good idea of just how much mana your spells take by practicing healing on yourself. This way, when the going gets tough you'll better understand how to manage your heals to their utmost effectiveness without going oom in a panic.
6. Bring potions and drinks with you. I found when I first started healing heroic dungeons that the potions that put you to sleep to restore mana for a few seconds are helpful.
7. Learn to utilize your entire toolbox, including nonhealing spells of course.
8. Learn how to be a step ahead of everything and everyone during fights.
Edited by Aloom on 2/25/2013 1:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
50 Pandaren Shaman
In reference to the clicking this, WoW has default kebyinds in the main action bar, being I believe Paladin Healing doesn't too many major buttons to press, you can stick all your major heals on 1-5 (easy to click with one hand) and use the other to click portraits. Of course, as you get into higher levels with raid healing and such, being you have many more buttons to click, mouse over macros are a good idea.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Everything that has been said is helpful to new healers, but these I find really good to know;

1) Don't be afraid to ask to stop to drink.
2) Don't let people bully you.
3) Speak up if you can't keep up or are having a problem. Some tanks will be jerks, but not all of them are.
4) Make sure to stick to your tank like glue. In most situations, your top priority is first keeping yourself alive and then keeping the tank alive.
5) If your tank is being obtuse or just being a jerk, find a dependable DPS and heal him instead. As long as you don't have threat, most DPS can tank anything in the lower level dungeons.
6) Bring water. 9 times out of 10 you won't use it, but every now and then...

1. Don't let tanks run the instance. You, as well as DPS, have control and say-so over matters, too.
2. Don't be afraid to tell someone to slow down, stop doing something, or to give other instructions.
3. Try to keep up with your group and don't get far behind because you're staring at the pretty design on the wall or something.
4. Don't worry about it if someone dies. It will happen. It shouldn't happen that often, but it will occur at some point and don't let someone abuse you because of a mistake (or it being the dead player's fault).
5. Get a very good idea of just how much mana your spells take by practicing healing on yourself. This way, when the going gets tough you'll better understand how to manage your heals to their utmost effectiveness without going oom in a panic.
6. Bring potions and drinks with you. I found when I first started healing heroic dungeons that the potions that put you to sleep to restore mana for a few seconds are helpful.
7. Learn to utilize your entire toolbox, including nonhealing spells of course.
8. Learn how to be a step ahead of everything and everyone during fights.

Also, If you get blamed for a wipe that wasnt your fault, dont worry about it. It happens, as long as you know it wasnt your fault, thats all that matters.
Reply Quote
You will get used to it :)

Right now you can wear whatever until you get plate specialization....But honestly on all of my toons I wore whatever I wanted until I hit the cata dungeons. I also had heirlooms, but I don't think its going to make a huge difference because the 1-80 dungeons are usually very easy (and when I was leveling this toon, I noticed Cata dungeons were also much easier than they used to be).

Always bring potions, drinks, flasks....all that stuff. If I ever need mana, I'll try to drink a little in between pulls, and keep drinking until someone needs to be healed. If someone dies (usually by standing in stuff) even if I know its their fault, I'll still say something like "sorry D:" and they'll usually admit it was their fault lol.

Also! Have you tried out Vuhdo or Healbot? I find my reaction time is much, much faster when I use an addon. I like Vuhdo personally. But its good to be able to heal without it, just in case they stop working.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you don't already know how to write macros, then now is the time. As said above, mouseover macros are awesome. The single most effective thing you can do to improve your healing is make effective mouseover macros. Here's the wowpedia article on macro conditionals.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Macro_conditionals

And here's a website that will check your macros for errors.

http://www.macroexplain.com/

Raid frames are also mandatory. Some prefer an addon, but the default blizzard raid frames have everything you really need.
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Priest
...I...I have a long-lost twin. >_>

People have different perspectives on this, as is already kind of evident by the responses so far. Basically, some people will get angry, some won't. I've always felt that, in the lower levels, if something's an upgrade you have every right to need on it (especially for paladins, who have very little in the way of healing mail/plate at those levels). However, it might be safer ask about it. It comes down to how you feel about possibly offending someone else (and what they might do about it...some people will try to wipe the group, get you kicked, need on everything, etc. out of anger.) At the very least, try to check the group composition for casters who might also need the gear.

In the lower levels, you might notice that it's very difficult to run out of mana, and due to this, new healers tend to get in the habit of spamming fast, expensive heals. Once you reach Cata dungeons or so, though, things get much tougher...your mana will deplete faster and the percentage of a player's health you heal for plummets comparatively (gear scaling essentially rights itself). This won't effect you for a while, but try to keep it in mind for later.

I'd like to add that even though low-level dungeons are easy to heal compared to higher level ones, things still can (and will) go wrong. Some tanks will pull more than they can handle, won't properly use their mitigation skills, DPS or tanks will stand in things they shouldn't be, etc. Some groups will be quite vocal in blaming you for things that weren't your fault. Just do the best that you can...it's fine if something's your fault, but don't let others bully you into taking the blame for things that weren't. Also, it can help to try and friend people who you have good experiences with, so you can continue to group with them...having backup if things go wrong can be nice.

And, if you need to vent about bad runs, look for the latest "things you don't want to hear healing pugs" thread. The current one is here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811481850
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I leveled my paladin. I needed on things with spirit and int on it. I tried to keep it to mail and leather though, and needed on cloth only if the other casters didn't have a problem with it. Most of them were cool with it.

I never ran out of mana at lower levels. I think the only time I ever ran out of mana was in the mana tombs and that was because my tank had something wrong with him. If you do wipe and it is your fault, most people will be okay with it if you admit it and don't just leave party.

If they kick you, don't hate yourself just laugh it off because people are dumb. Things happen. You aren't bad, People make mistakes. If it isn't your fault, the tank dies and rage quits...I make jokes to keep the party up. Like the warlock's pet was easier to heal...etc.

Get the glyph of contemplation and tebow all over the place.

It's not so bad really. Just don't feel bad...You don't get plate gear until rare drops from outland dungeons and a few quest rewards from areas that level. You get more in northrend. That's where it begins to matter. Hakuna Matata.

I use healbot even though it's not as updated as the other add-ons. Just do what works for you. Experiment. As long as it works for you, it doesn't matter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]