So this guy is my first ever healing toon. It's a very different job, and much harder, than my DPS main. I plan on leveling mostly through running dungeons, and I have some questions for the group about that:
Gear: I know I want intellect/spirit mail at this level, but I am not seeing a lot of it. Am I justified in needing on intellect/spirit cloth or leather until i see more mail with the right stats? Is this understood or should I make a point of asking beforehand?
You don't get the bonus from wearing all plate until level 50. And, to be honest, until you hit Outland/Northrend, there's almost no intellect plate to be had anyway. Need on anything and everything that you can use - cloth, leather, mail, whatever. Especially if it has Spirit on it.
Interface: the default interface setup is not working for me. My heals are at the bottom of the screen and player portraits are in the top corner. This is super awkward as I have to click on the person I want to heal and then go hunting for the power I want to use on them, leading to misclicks and delays, and that is not good. Should I look into add-ons? Are there ways I can change the default interface to make it more effective? I know you can select teammates with function keys but I'm not finding that to be much better.
Addons are great, but you CAN change your interface to make things look better. Go into Interface - Raid Profiles and check the option that says "Use raid frames in party." Then make sure it's always active when you're in a party. Pay attention to the little boxes. Also, make sure you have debuffs enabled, and choose "see only debuffs I can dispel." That will make things easier.
When the raid bars pop out, you can actually move them around your screen and lock them in place. You can also change the size of the bars a bit.
As far as clicking and having issues with that, I have a solution that doesn't involve addons: Mouseover Macros. So, here's what you do:
1) Pick a spell. Let's go with Flash of Light, since I believe you have that at your level.
2) Go into your macro menu and make a macro that says the following:
/cast [@mouseover] Flash of Light
That's it. That's all you have to do. Now bind that button to #1 on your keyboard. All you have to do is mouse over the frame of the person you want to heal or dispel and press the appropriate keybind.
You can also look into addons like Clique (basically does the mouseover macro part for you, and frees up bind space, too, by binding everything to a mixture of mouse clicks and button presses like ctrl, shift, and alt), Grid 2 (raid replacement frames, somewhat complicated to set up but you can mix and match what you want to use for your frames), or VuhDo (which takes Clique and Grid and basically combines them, replacing your raid frames with a very customizable frame AND allowing you to bind all of your heals to various clicks and button presses in the addon itself).
Any other general advice for newbie healers you want to pass on would be appreciated as well!
1) Don't be afraid to ask to stop to drink.
2) Don't let people bully you.
3) Speak up if you can't keep up or are having a problem. Some tanks will be jerks, but not all of them are.
4) Make sure to stick to your tank like glue. In most situations, your top priority is first keeping yourself alive and then keeping the tank alive.
5) If your tank is being obtuse or just being a jerk, find a dependable DPS and heal him instead. As long as you don't have threat, most DPS can tank anything in the lower level dungeons.
6) Bring water. 9 times out of 10 you won't use it, but every now and then...