PTR opinions of Disc and Holy (5.2 PvE)

100 Pandaren Priest
Ceddya, would you advise keeping a disc/holy setup for T15 overall? One of my personal criticism of this tier is how there was no reason to be holy except for Tsulong. I know there's a lot of factors that aren't encounter design playing in to that, but I would like to know if I'm going to be getting use out of both my specs next tier.

E: Guess you answered me before! :P
Edited by Kerias on 2/26/2013 6:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/26/2013 06:45 AMPosted by Kerias
Ceddya, would you advise keeping a disc/holy setup for T15 overall? One of my personal criticism of this tier is how there was no reason to be holy except for Tsulong. I know there's a lot of factors that aren't encounter design playing in to that, but I would like to know if I'm going to be getting use out of both my specs next tier.

I would, although one could probably heal the whole instance as either solely Holy or Disc. If you're looking to min/max though, then having both specs would definitely be a plus. I strongly suspect that the overall higher sustained healing from Holy, coupled with the strength of DI + T15 2 piece could be better than Disc's absorbs on a few fights.
Edited by Ceddya on 2/26/2013 7:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/26/2013 06:41 AMPosted by Ceddya
Also, IH is doing a ridiculous amount of shielding given the right conditions. Nerf prlz. :p

I heard about this, and I concur.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I haven't mentioned this, but based on what I've tested, I'm honestly enjoying healing as Disc much more than I am on live. Not having to spam PoH for the entirety of a fight is such a breath of fresh air. With offensive Penance, Solace and PW:S getting buffs, my spell casts are more varied now.

My main gripe is the loss of the additional crit healing from IF, and I wish they would address it by tagging a +x% healing modifier on IF.
Edited by Ceddya on 2/26/2013 9:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Ewwwww theory crafters! Get away from me! D:

How about...you just pick the spec your best at/fits the fight the best and not bicker about silly things. >_>

And to the people stacking DA, shame on you! >:(
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I managed to do some heroic testing today - Disc is doing pretty well on Jin'rokh and Durumu as these fights have abilities that cater well to SS. As usual, PW:S usage has been substantially higher than on live, and it's pretty sustainable in ilvl 522 gear. Conversely, usage of PoH has dropped pretty drastically, with offensive Penance taking priority now.

While SS is useful on these fights, it's not entirely necessary, and this means that Holy is equally viable. I really would only go Holy on these fights if I have the 2/4 piece T15 bonuses though.

I didn't get to test Ji-Kun, but Holy will be the clear choice for Tortos as the mechanics for Crystal Shell clearly cater to Holy's higher healing output.

On an unrelated note, IH and EF are shielding for a pretty ridiculous amount. IH is making up at least 40% of a Paladin's total healing on most fights. Holy Paladins are certainly going to lead the pack when it comes to 5.2, and it'll be interesting to see if anything is done about IH as it's pretty much the new DA of 5.2
Edited by Ceddya on 2/27/2013 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Ceddya
Disc is doing pretty well

What do you mean by "pretty well"? Like, not at the bottom, but no where near the top? running OOM? How's our ability to provide any at all useful AoE healing? Just offensive penance like you mention? If so, that's no fun.

While SS is useful on these fights, it's not entirely necessary,
Why's this? Because SS is quite weak now? Does questionable absorbing?

On an unrelated note, IH and EF are shielding for a pretty ridiculous amount. IH is making up at least 40% of a Paladin's total healing on most fights.
That's ridiculous. I seriously hope they look at that before live...If we cant have sweet absorbs why should they? That's not even their bread and butter...oh wait, everything is there bread and butter now...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/28/2013 05:34 AMPosted by Drbigblunts
What do you mean by "pretty well"? Like, not at the bottom, but no where near the top? running OOM? How's our ability to provide any at all useful AoE healing? Just offensive penance like you mention? If so, that's no fun.

At the top or near the top.

The SS nerfs coupled with the fact that these fights, if executed properly, don't have any lethal damage that necessitates SS over Holy's CD.

This doesn't mean that SS is bad though. Quite the contrary if it's used well.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest

I've said it many times in the past and I'll say it again. The nerf to SS does NOT make it weak. It was done for scaling purposes. Once you get Tier 15 gear the difference in the amount that SS absorbs on live vs on the ptr is much less than you think it is. The nerf was put in because the rate that the bubble was scaling was going to end up trivializing entire fight mechanics. If you know how to use the spell properly and are willing to even play around with it from time to time you will see it is still a very powerful spell.

Heck I'm experimenting with using it as a triage healing spell between big boss attacks that come in at intervals over 90 seconds. Think of it as an alternative of DA stacking. I mean if the boss isn't doing any major aoe attack and won't be doing it for quite some time then why have a perfectly good cooldown spell sitting in your spellbook unused? I say use it, it will be back up when you need it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]