Conditional Macro for Beacon of Light

100 Human Paladin
I've seen a few posts on this topic but no answers, perhaps someone knowledgeable on macros could help out. With Beacon of Light glyphed, it is not on the GCD and since you get a charge of holy power for healing a target affected by it with Flash of Light or Divine Light, it would only make sense to macro it to cast on your target before either of those spells do. But Beacon of Light does have a 3 second cooldown that you have to wait for before a simple /cast Beacon of Light and /cast Flash of Light macro will work again. I know you can set parameters on macros, but to what extent can you do that? Pretty much, can you make a macro so that if Beacon of Light is already on the target it will just cast Flash of Light, but if it is not already on the target, it will cast Beacon of Light and then Flash of Light? I am a PvP healer and in almost every situation, nearly all of the healing done with Beacon of Light is wasted and not effective, so the 1 holy power that I would get with this would outweigh any healing benefit the actual spell would give. Plus, the beacon would always be on the last guy to take a lot of damage, as i only use those 2 spells when i really have to put out a lot of healing. But any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Macros can't check for buffs (besides certain things on yourself that count as stances), so no, you can't make a macro that checks for Beacon on the target.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just bind beacon of light and put it on your target before you heal them. It's really not too difficult after some practice.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
#showtooltip Flash of Light
/castsequence reset=0.3 1, Flash of Light
/castsequence reset=0.3 Beacon of Light

It will cast Beacon if it is off cooldown, but cast Flash otherwise. Should work for your intentions, although it isn't "checking" to see if the target already has beacon. It will just always cast beacon first if it isn't on cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When I tried Holy, I used four hotkeys:

1. Flash of Light
2. Divine Light
3. Macro: Beacon of Light + FoL
4. Macro: Beacon of Light + DL

It wasn't difficult to set up because Holy doesn't require a lot of hotkeys, even for PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Since I'm on my phone right now I can't tell you the script exactly but I have a macro that cast divine light and then will do beacon and divine light when I hold my modifier. I also have it set up for flash of light as well.

/showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover, no mod] divine light
/cast [target=mouseover, mod:alt] beacon of light
/cast [target=mouseover, mod:alt] divine light

It's ver similar to that the mod part in the macro might be. Mod:alt or mod;alt I don't remeber as I am not online.

No I am not a big fan of running with the glyph of beacon of light except fights where I switch my beacon target frequently. I normally run Divinty, Protector of the Innocence, and Flash of Light.

As for what Hafleur said he/she is completely wrong. In order to play Holy efficiently in both PvE/PvP you will have a ton of hot keys. Unless you have a ton of modifier macros. You will find it useful for a bind for every Hand speed paladins have. As well HS WoG HR HL DL FoL LoD AW DF Devo Guardian LoH Bubble CS Judg SS if you took that as well as HA HoJ Rep SpeedOfLight if you took it. Holy Prsim ES and Lights Hammer. That's just basic things you will want bound. Pallies aren't like back from classic-wrath with just HL and FoL spam and its GG it's a bit more in depth.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As for what Hafleur said he/she is completely wrong. In order to play Holy efficiently in both PvE/PvP you will have a ton of hot keys. Unless you have a ton of modifier macros. You will find it useful for a bind for every Hand speed paladins have. As well HS WoG HR HL DL FoL LoD AW DF Devo Guardian LoH Bubble CS Judg SS if you took that as well as HA HoJ Rep SpeedOfLight if you took it. Holy Prsim ES and Lights Hammer. That's just basic things you will want bound. Pallies aren't like back from classic-wrath with just HL and FoL spam and its GG it's a bit more in depth.

Yes, you should bind all of these things. Relatively speaking that's still not a whole lot of hotkeys. :)

edit:
I think you misread my original post. I didn't mean those were the only hotkeys I used, but that I used two hotkeys each for FoL and DL. This thread is about Beacon, remember.
Edited by Hafleur on 3/2/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When I tired holy I had four hot keys.

Now tell me what that says. It says you only had four got keys just saying. As well I know my self I have over 25keybindings that's let alone for PvEand for PvP I run a few more keybings as target focus key binding partners. It might not seem like a lot but to other healing class' there isn't nearly as much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't understand why anyone, regardless of class, would run any less than every single spell bound. I set up a 6x6 grid of buttons with bartender. 6 columns so I can easily reach them with left hand. Bottom row is 1-6, another is F1-F6, and the other 4 are various modifiers (alt, shift etc). You can easily bind every spell in the book and have them all within one hand's reach. Why wouldn't you take advantage of your full arsenal of spells?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When I tired holy I had four hot keys.

Now tell me what that says. It says you only had four got keys just saying. As well I know my self I have over 25keybindings that's let alone for PvEand for PvP I run a few more keybings as target focus key binding partners. It might not seem like a lot but to other healing class' there isn't nearly as much.

I used four hotkeys for those spells. I understand how it wasn't perfectly clear, but it's all about context. Read the next line: "It wasn't difficult to set up because Holy doesn't require a lot of hotkeys, even for PvP." I was saying it wasn't hard to find two hotkeys for FoL, and two hotkeys for Divine Light, because Holy in general doesn't use a lot of hotkeys. Which is true.

Let's assume for a moment I'm a noob and don't bind hand spells and whatnot. Still, why would I only bind FoL and DL? Why would I not bind Holy Light and Holy Shock and Word of Glory and so on? That just doesn't make sense. Context.

Anyway, this is my last post in this thread. Maybe someone else has macro suggestions for the OP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]