Tanking is easy

13 Blood Elf Paladin
I think tanking is easier now than it has ever been. Gearing is easy. AOE tanking is easy. Tanks have better mobility and snap aggro generation. Good grief, how many people run Omen anymore in these days of heroism on the pull?

I tanked on a paladin, warrior, druid, and, later, DK in older days. Back when tab target sundering and becoming crit immune were necessary. Back when druids and paladins were dodge tanks, the forums would argue over who held aggro better (paladins had better on demand aggro at the pull, warriors were better over time, especially during the execute phase) and paladins had shield spikes.

I understand Bliz had to make tanking more palatable so someone would actually want to tank, but nonetheless the end result is what it is - tanking now is easy.

Do any of you older tanks agree, disagree, what?
Reply Quote
Easier? I'm not sure I would say "easier." Less tedious? Absolutely.

Was it overly difficult to tab sunder? Was it difficult to do that defense rating grind to become crit immune? If I remember correctly, it was just a pain.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
Tanking was harder when threat and crowd control mattered, but that has less to do with actually playing a tank than changes to the game overall. After BC, Tanks have mostly played like DPS with defense cool downs instead. It's a little more involved now that we have more active passive mitigation, I suppose...

Quincey has a point in that tanking isn't really easier now than in the last two expansions, just more accessible.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Definately less tedious than it is easier. Tanking still requires a lot of situational awareness and raid awareness. Knowing where to keep a boss or move it and when to taunt. When adds pop that need tanked versus those that are easily killed.

And yes now that threat is a non issue unlike previous versions, wait 10 seconds before opening up so the tanks can build a good lead on agro, tanking itself is less worrisome so other mechanics were introduced. Taunting back and forth requires tank cooperation more than ever, Lei Shi last night I died twice cause my offftank wouldnt taunt until I had 36 stacks on me even though I was taunting on 18 or 21 as needed.

So tanking is still difficult just in different ways.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Its been like this since wrath, welcome to 4 years ago?
Reply Quote
97 Pandaren Monk
easy to play .. hard to master. The difference between the average joe and the excellent Bob is bigger now than it was before.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2013 01:18 PMPosted by Leeflow
easy to play .. hard to master. The difference between the average joe and the excellent Bob is bigger now than it was before.

Thats true I am having a time mastering. I may never be cut out for high end tanking, but I got to try.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/27/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Tivana
Thats true I am having a time mastering. I may never be cut out for high end tanking, but I got to try.

Thats why the forums are here though, ask for help or advice and the tanks that read the forums tend to answer very politely. You get the occasional troll but guys like Fean and Krinu are usually quite helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes its nice to have a no troll zone.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Out of curiousity are you having trouble surviving or holding threat in fights?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Daralyon
Out of curiousity are you having trouble surviving or holding threat in fights?

Threat, I am doing something wrong with how I pull I guess. Its mainly multi mobs not single target. The only times I had single target probs was some of my friends that are raiding heroic raids and do like 200k+ dps burst, then the boss sometimes looks at them and goes yum. I think I am better at that now. I seem to have a problem with hopo and keeping up enough of it.

Like lets say I pull a pack I throw AS run in drop conc But before they even hit my conc they are already looking at dps. And I have to tab and taunt, and I dont build Hopo fast enough
Edited by Tivana on 2/27/2013 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Tanking was harder when threat and crowd control mattered, but that has less to do with actually playing a tank than changes to the game overall. After BC, Tanks have mostly played like DPS with defense cool downs instead. It's a little more involved now that we have more active passive mitigation, I suppose...

Quincey has a point in that tanking isn't really easier now than in the last two expansions, just more accessible.

It's this. The game itself is easier. Not just tanking
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
easy to play .. hard to master. The difference between the average joe and the Smiling Bob is bigger now than it was before.

ftfy
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
While I think its easier to get into tanking now, the tanking skill cap is much higher. Tanking in TBC/Wrath (to a lesser extent) was more about learning how to gear and how to hold threat, after that nothing else mattered.

Now a great tank can do tons of self healing (me and my blood dk did 50% of our healing taken on heroic will) avoid a lot of damage, do competitive dps depending on the fight and there are enough CDs for all the tank classes that the difference between knowing when/how to use them can make or break an encounter.(I don't even recall pally tanks having a CD in TBC).
Reply Quote
97 Pandaren Monk

It's this. The game itself is easier. Not just tanking

er ... what? I mean .. seriously, what?

I really love the "the game is easier" now. Usually people saying this have zero heroic kills.

no offense, but tanking on vanilla or bc was mindnumbing easy. Like our fellow above said, pallies for example didn't even have a defensive cooldown until wotlk.

I was a paladin on bc, tell me exactly how judge > holy shield > consecration > pick your nose, repeat .. was harder than what paladins have to do now on heroic raids?
Reply Quote
The difference with tanking, and even healing, from DPS is how visible you are. As the tank, everyone is looking at you, and your mistakes are noticeable and frequently fatal to the raid. Visibly wiping the raid is a tank rite of passage, most DPS could not handle it. The temperament required to handle that with grace goes hand in hand with leadership ability (or egotism, real or perceived).

More directly on topic, tanking IS easy, and it's been easy since halfway through BC and got even easier about midway through cataclysm when the tank shortage was at its most severe. Tanks are generally exempt from encounter mechanics that other DPS have to deal with and are free to focus on lining up cooldowns, maxing tank dps, or mastering positioning just so. That and the vantage point I have is why I typically call the encounter, but there are a couple fights where I find it very hard to call the encounter (pre-nerf heroic Yor'shaj comes to mind) and also stay alive.
Edited by Aradel on 2/27/2013 7:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Blizzard has been working on a decade like plan to transition wow from client based to browser based. Round about patch 7.4, we're going to log in and be redirected to a web page we'll play on. The game will be point and click, and no matter what you do, no matter how poorly you play, you'll get a message that tells you you're a winner.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
ATM tanking is the easiest compare to dps and healing esp in normal raid as most normal raid need high dps and high AOE heal. Most ppl feel that dps is the easiest, IMO, low dps is the easiest, high dps (with ilvl 460 must have at least 40k dps, ilvl 480 have 80k dps) is the hardest.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/27/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Proknight
ATM tanking is the easiest compare to dps and healing esp in normal raid as most normal raid need high dps and high AOE hea

Please go tank heroic windlord and tell me its easy. Mismanage your CDs and you have a decent chance of dying, mistime an active mitigation as windblades are on their way back from a strike and if rng strikes you poorly you'll die, not paying attention and let even one mob on your back you have a decent chance of dying. And at the same time you also need to be the highest dps.

I've done it all tanking, healing, mdps, rdps and while some encounters make it harder for dps the bottom line for dps is a dead dps does no dps, just stay alive and your better than 50% of the dps out there.
Edited by Felshifter on 2/27/2013 11:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
These threads really do get old quickly.

All roles are difficult in their own ways. If you find it easy, good, it's probably a good role for you to fill. If not, fine, there's probably another role you'd like better and be better at.

Tanking isn't hard. Its punishing, but its not hard in and of itself. The stigma that comes with the idea that one mistake from you kills your entire group is a large part of what makes tanking feel difficult.

However, DPS is not hard. Generally speaking, you have enough time with any given fight to find ways to maximize your potential, which gets rid of any real difficulty the role may present.

Healing is no different. Its a game of stability, and the better everyone else gets at a given fight, the more stable everyone's lives get, and the easier your job becomes. A mistake as a healer when learning a fight can lead to a raid wipe almost as easily as a tank's mistake, and is far less visible to the raid as a whole in most situations.

The way your mind works will dictate which roles you find easy or hard, if any. Making threads about this is a waste of time.

And while I'm here:

Compare a Vanilla encounter to a MoP heroic encounter. Or a Cataclysm heroic encounter.

There's a very real reason why the top guilds claimed Heroic Ragnaros and Heroic Lich King were two fights whose difficulty was on a level all their own. Naxxramas and Sunwell pale in comparison to the complexity of encounters we face nowadays.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]