Affliction or Destruction for PvE in 5.2?

90 Goblin Warlock
In MoP I have not been a fan of Demonology at all and I wasn't putting out the numbers I liked as Destro so I ended up as Affliction. With the changes to Affliction and Destruction in 5.2, How do you think Destro will hold up against Affliction?

Also, with the changes to GoSac in 5.2, will GoSup be the new choice of talent for Affliction and Destruction?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
With the nerf to Gosac, and buff to some spells, Gosup should be best choice for destruction on pure single target fight. But in fights where there are a lot of cleaves,mastery heavy Gosac destruction should be more bursty and pull higher number. Above is in such a assumption that ur ilvl is not high.

The buff and nerf to Affliction made me confused. Nerf to Gosac-----Blizz wants you use pet, while none of our pets provide useful buff, proc. And pets scale with our stats terrible. Buff to Haunt------u need to channel more Malefic grasp------Gosac better.......I d say fight where there are a lot of target switching, Gosup is better. In pure single target, Gosac may be better considering it is more bursty..
.I actually miss Cata lock, when aff use fel puppy(op shadow bites, damage increased by dots on target), destrucition use little evil imp ( proc instant cast soulfire and benefit from talent). Demonology 's rotation is quite complicated and doesn't provide a insane damage, the idea of spam creepy touch of chaos ( hit like 53k only) is not cool to me. Destruction's rotation is too easy, its too easy to play. I admit there is still some skill here using destruction( never chaos bolt when there are no trinket proc, dark soul, and two proc int trinket). Affliction's rotation is boring..
The reason I use destruction is that I do not want life tap anymore. I just don't understand why locks need to lose health to generate mana while other casters do not even need to know what is mana. Various defensive cooldown so locks can life tap? Life tap is completely a garbage rather than a strength when every other classes do not need to worry about mana at all. It only adds burden to healers.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
I just read in the new notes that Afflictions GoSac has been brought down again to 30% instead of 50% but I'm sure the haunt buff with the new tier bonuses should offset that a little.

I personally have been enjoying destruction in the last week I've been playing it, but have noticed that I am usually about 5-8% lower then what I was doing as affliction. I just really hope that 5.2 lets us at least be on par with affliction, because I don't want to have to choose between two specs I'm not crazy about.

03/01/2013 07:18 AMPosted by Soulfier
The reason I use destruction is that I do not want life tap anymore.

^This as well.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
GrimSac was brought down from 50% to 30% but got a bit of a buff from Haunt. It still is a net nerf of about 4-6% overall damage for afflic.

Meanwhile, the CM nerf for fire mages got reverted with pyro being nerfed by 10%. If you look at the logs and raid testing, affliction is high but not as high as it is now.

Now fire is vastly ahead of everyone else. See? Mages pissed and moaned and it got reverted.
Gotta make this a mage thread too? Locks are pissed and moaning and got buffs. Some things got nerfed some got buffed. Mages had the same thing. At least our nerfs will essentially be reverted on their own through gear scaling. But you probably didn't think about that did you? Too busy whining about mages.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
GrimSac was brought down from 50% to 30% but got a bit of a buff from Haunt. It still is a net nerf of about 4-6% overall damage for afflic.

Meanwhile, the CM nerf for fire mages got reverted with pyro being nerfed by 10%. If you look at the logs and raid testing, affliction is high but not as high as it is now.

Now fire is vastly ahead of everyone else. See? Mages pissed and moaned and it got reverted.
Gotta make this a mage thread too? Locks are pissed and moaning and got buffs. Some things got nerfed some got buffed. Mages had the same thing. At least our nerfs will essentially be reverted on their own through gear scaling. But you probably didn't think about that did you? Too busy whining about mages.

Lok, Im pretty sure you say that in everyone of these threads and NO ONE EVER LISTENS. In fact it's the same people in each thread that obviously dont listen
Edited by Essandem on 3/1/2013 1:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'm fine if the people who make the threads don't listen. I just don't want the people who come into the threads for information to seep in the wrong info. The people who are complaining will never see the light because they're too busy whining to actually learn their class. People who want to get better should get the correct information though. Don't need to breed more cry babies!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/01/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Loktronotron
I'm fine if the people who make the threads don't listen. I just don't want the people who come into the threads for information to seep in the wrong info. The people who are complaining will never see the light because they're too busy whining to actually learn their class. People who want to get better should get the correct information though. Don't need to breed more cry babies!

I think most people just dont know what our mastery DOES and how amazing it scales, or they overemphasize it. Either way I agree with your statement GoSup will be better till you have better gear, in which case GoSac becomes better. BECAUSE OUR MASTERY is amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

In response to the quote you were quoting- currently every class is getting buffed and nerfed. It's the PTR.. deal with it, change is gonna happen.

Over a week warriors had 3 major abilities nerfed 10 %, reverted, execute nerfed 25%, 10% revert, and now they wanna nerf the meta gem. It's funny how upset people get over PTR testing when nothing is set in stone
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
03/01/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Loktronotron

Why is it that almost every single thread I check out. you're almost always posting a comment that means absolutely nothing. just talkin smack about this comment or that one? dude get a life. itd be nice to check out what people are thinking without seeing a stupid negative comment by the same dude over and over and over
Edited by Musstybone on 3/3/2013 8:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Why is it that almost every single thread I check out. you're almost always posting a comment that means absolutely nothing. just talkin smack about this comment or that one? dude get a life. itd be nice to check out what people are thinking without seeing a stupid negative comment by the same dude over and over and over
Probably because almost every thread you check out has someone spouting wrong information in it. I give plenty of advice, and there are plenty of threads and posts, many by me, giving accurate information on the topics being discussed. The problem with the Warlock forum is that it is currently filled with so many whiners and so many people regurgitating false information that lots of people who come here for advice may "learn" the wrong things. I don't really care if you like me or not, but I actually care about the Warlock community as a whole and I don't intend to see this forum fall into a pattern of posting utter crap if I can help it. There aren't really any good external sites for Warlock information anymore, this is basically it. So yes, if I see a post that is completely inaccurate then I will call it out. If that makes you mad then so be it, but if you're mad about trying to preserve accurate and helpful information then I don't really know why you're here. You know how many threads there were yesterday about this exact same topic? You know how many I fully explained the differences between GoSup and GoSac in? But sure, let's let the Warlock forums devolve into another class forum cesspool and see who complains about it then.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Still looking for some input here.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Wow guys way2go on getting off topic and not answering the OP's original question.

From what I'm reading all three specs DPS wise are going to be significantly closer than they are with the current patch. I've seen a lot of different opinions but from what I've been seeing most is that that Demo and Affliction will have very similair dps's and destro will lag behind by 4-6%. BUT these numbers are also dependent on fights and which Grimore you use. Demo will benefit most from Sup because it's stats scale with their pet pet best out of the three specs. As for destro it will be situational... for single target fights you will want GrimSup for aoe fights you'll want to Sac your pet -- and I believe this is the same for Affliction, Sup on single target fights sac on aoe fights.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I don't believe Sup is the way to go on single target fights for Affliction and I don't believe sac is the way to go for AoE fights. In fact it should be the complete opposite.

On AoE fights you will be casting MG a lot less which sac won't benefit from.

On single target fights you will be MGing a lot which sac will benefit from.

Unless I'm confused?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi, So I'm starting up a new 10man guild to raid weekend mornings and figured I'd try a new class for it. Usually play 3 specs Pal/rdrud. So I've been leveling using destruction as at a low level conflag was pretty much 1 shotting most mobs and it sounded best for pvp. However, now I know nothing about affliction. Honestly, the idea behind afflicton sounds like it would have been really fun maybe in bc or vanillia, with being able to use dots and keep people going down while kiting and casting some large spells. However, in today's burst and burn world . . . . of warcraft, i am thinking destruction is much better for pvp and would prefer to stay destruction.

So the only information I received from this thread on the question of destro or afflic for pve in 5.2 was that one player was seeing an 8% decrease in dps when using destro vs. affliction. However, I believe that he was speaking on terms of 5.1 patch notes. So how large of a difference should be expected between these two specs in 5.2? And how will that difference change with full LFR gear, full Normal gear, and then at high-end gear?

I'm a nub lock right now, just trying to figure out if learning affliction is gonna be mandatory haha
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]