Why Demo should not, and will not be tanks

90 Worgen Warlock
1) Warlocks wear cloth, the lightest most brittle armor in game.
2) DA is mainly used in pvp for those under geared to get extra protection. (basically becomes a warrior)
3) Class distinction, warlocks are a dps spec. If warlocks get to tank then next mages would want to heal, rouges would want to tank, warriors would want to be healers, ect.
4) It's one glyph that makes Demo somewhat tankable enough to survive trash mobs.
5) It would unbalance pvp locks as no one would use a tanking spec for arena's.
6) Demo's would get a damage reduction it return for more survival perks.
8) Our pets would be useless.
9) Doesn't fit the role of Demo, Demo is a warlock who mastered the art of summoning and controlling demons to fight for him. Yes he can turn into one for a limited amount which is for his DPS burst, not to survive a burst.
10) If Demo was a tank, they'd be blood dk's 1.2.

Just a few reasons why Demo is not, will not, and never well be a tanking spec. QQ as much as you want for it, it won't make a difference as it has to much of an impact on the entire structure of wow.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I just want to say I approve of warlocks being a puredps class, but want to see your reasons

03/01/2013 07:02 AMPosted by Banewolfz
1) Warlocks wear cloth, the lightest most brittle armor in game

The general theme is that fel energy and demon hunter rituals make us tanky, from a lorewise perspective that makes sense. From an in-game perspecctive, the mitigration is enough. Besides, druids tanks wear leather, which isn't exactly strong.

2) DA is mainly used in pvp for those under geared to get extra protection. (basically becomes a warrior)

Not even this, because it kills damage output. DA is intended for a warlock to tank for about 20 seconds or so. Basically enough time to brez and heal up a tank who had died. Or to finish a fight if the tank dies.

3) Class distinction, warlocks are a dps spec

Agreed, looking for more reasons though

4) It's one glyph that makes Demo somewhat tankable enough to survive trash mobs.

Once again it's so a warlock can, with say unending resolve, tank a boss for a short time in case a tank falls.

If no one would use it, how would it unbalance it? /confused. You're right about no one using it though, because it kills damage output

Disagree. DA already recieves a damage reduction rofl.... your spell damage is basically cut in half of what it was in caster form and no longer benefits from your mastery.

You skipped 7,any reason why?

Our pets would be useless.

... huh? Granted, there would be a reason to use soullink/GoSac Voidwalker for the shadowbulwark, but that doesn't mean pets = "useless". Besides, on buggy fights and pvp where they tend to wander off, pets can be completely useless. It was why GoSac was so popular....
You're hitting on a much bigger issue than warlock tanking and the "just ignore it" solution isn't a good one...

Doesn't fit the role of Demo

Hi Illidan. This actually HAS a lot of lore and planning behind it...

Not at all. Have you ever tried the form? It basically revolves around accumulation of demonic fury while spending it on fury ward. Warlocks themselves have barely any self healing this xpack (a shame) and even less consistent self-healing in DA form (I believe soul fire is the only spell that will give you any, and that is only 10%)
For DK's, whose self healing is a staple method of their tanking, it is a completely different style.

Once again I don't disagree with you, I agree with points 3, and 5 to a small extent (I would think maybe more RBGS, especially oens with a capture the flag one, but any node with a tank on it would be mildly annoying). However, I would be lying if I didn't say I liked the state it was in now. Even i have to note it looks cool and feels "right" when you're doing it.
Edited by Demonwizard on 3/1/2013 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
It does kill damage but with all the defense and most spells becoming instant casts it can be used against melee characters as the warlock becomes a melee character (demon slap). As for Unending Resolve it also prevents the warlock from being silenced so it has a very high roll in pvp, not just pve.

As for the pets, most of them are there as support to help the warlock be able to kite and prevent damage. Void (lvling tank), Felgaurd (stundome ftw), Felhunter (Shhh for 3 seconds), Succubus (Charming/back off bro [knock back]), imp (eh heal/debuffer). If demo becomes a tank none of those are needed anymore for there defense quality and would just attract agro off constantly as well.

Posted by Banewolfz

If no one would use it, how would it unbalance it? /confused. You're right about no one using it though, because it kills damage output

No I meant if blizzard did revamp Demo to be a tanking spec as they would have lost their damage output. Like if DA was not a glyph but permanently changed.

Doesn't fit the role of Demo

Hi Illidan. This actually HAS a lot of lore and planning behind it...

Illidan wasn't a warlock....

Disagree. DA already recieves a damage reduction rofl.... your spell damage is basically cut in half of what it was in caster form and no longer benefits from your mastery.

You skipped 7,any reason why?

I should have been more clear, I meant if they changed Demo into a full blown tanking spec. Not talking about DA, and I forgot about 7; didn't notice I left it out.

Not at all. Have you ever tried the form? It basically revolves around accumulation of demonic fury while spending it on fury ward. Warlocks themselves have barely any self healing this xpack (a shame) and even less consistent self-healing in DA form (I believe soul fire is the only spell that will give you any, and that is only 10%)
For DK's, whose self healing is a staple method of their tanking, it is a completely different style.

I've used DA, and warlocks have just as much of a healing factor with Dark Regeneration, life drain, health stone, and death coil.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

3) Class distinction, warlocks are a dps spec. If warlocks get to tank then next mages would want to heal, rouges would want to tank, warriors would want to be healers, ect.
7) Our pets would be useless.
8) Doesn't fit the role of Demo, Demo is a warlock who mastered the art of summoning and controlling demons to fight for him. Yes he can turn into one for a limited amount which is for his DPS burst, not to survive a burst.
9) If Demo was a tank, they'd be blood dk's 1.2.Just a few reasons why Demo is not, will not, and never well be a tanking spec. QQ as much as you want for it, it won't make a difference as it has to much of an impact on the entire structure of wow.

1. Druids and monks wear leather and tank, your armor type shouldnt make your role
2. DA isnt meant for pvp, its a pve solo content glyph. Main reason being that its for pve is the 10 yard range it puts on your main ability
3. Look at deathknights, all 3 of their specs back in wrath could tank and dps
4. That one glyph could be made a baseline spell for a 4th warlock spec called "Apothesis" or something like it.
5. The tank spec wouldnt be viable due to its terrible damage, just like all the other tank specs.
6. How would pets be useless? Playing in a 4th spec could give all your demons very different abilities that help with your threat and survivability.
7. Doesnt have to be demo, you can just make dark apothesis a baseline ability for a 4th spec.
8. Blood dk's? we dont have any passive health regeneration and all of our heals are on semi long cd's.

Don't count on there never being a tank spec for warlocks. Look at green fire, warlocks have been wanting that for a long time and were finally getting it. If theres a demand, eventually there will be a supply.
Edited by Foamy on 3/1/2013 9:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
1. Druids and monks wear leather and tank, your armor type shouldnt make your role
2. DA isnt meant for pvp, its a pve solo content glyph. Main reason being that its for pve is the 10 yard range it puts on your main ability
3. Look at deathknights, all 3 of their specs back in wrath could tank and dps
4. That one glyph could be made a baseline spell for a 4th warlock spec called "Apothesis" or something like it.
5. The tank spec wouldnt be viable due to its terrible damage, just like all the other tank specs.
6. How would pets be useless? Playing in a 4th spec could give all your demons very different abilities that help with your threat and survivability.
7. Doesnt have to be demo, you can just make dark apothesis a baseline ability for a 4th spec.
8. Blood dk's? we dont have any passive health regeneration and all of our heals are on semi long cd's.

Don't count on there never being a tank spec for warlocks. Look at green fire, warlocks ahve beenw anting that for a long time and were finally getting it. If theres a demand, eventually there will be a supply.

Leather is still tougher then cloth, scissors cut through cloth. Thick leather on the other hand... not so much.

Making a fourth spec to a class that was purely dps to make it a tank is one very slipperly slope. If they give warlock's a new spec other classes would want their class to be a hybrid.

Green fire? lol, three patches later... and honestly not that many warlocks really care what color their fire is. Just the destromages really, (talents: kiljadin running, demonic sacrifice).
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
1. So? Druids turn into bears and we turning to demon hunters and we get plated scaled skin
2.Wrong DA has many uses like : * Running under geared guildies through 5man heroic to get them gear
*Soloing bosses that can not be bursted down while alone
*saving your 5man heroic groups from a while because the tank is really bad and dies and you end up being 100times better than his sorry...
*looking cool
*turning on aura of enfeeblement on an enemy player so that they can speak demon to communicate across sides or just talk to warlocks with it on ingeneral
3. Sure, w/e...what are you a republican? Do you really hate change that much? Are you like 80 years old and the change the happens around you scare you? Did Amanda Bynes call your house to order pizza while you scream at her "YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBA!"

4. Dude if you can't tank trash mobs with this glyph you are really bad at this game and should just quit now
5. You can't predict the future. there is a wide variety of player in this game with different playing styles. I still see people actually try to 1vs1 players as destro with no pet... like what moron wants to be guy with no cc after they fear. What do you mean it will unbalance us? That's like blizzard saying "Oh Chaos bolt hits too hard...lets nerf affliction...."
6. The Hybrid Tax is a MYTH. if this were to happen which it may not... it would be completely separate from Demonology and would not effect it whatsoever

7. ..... YOU HAVE NO 7th REASON ......are you kidding me?

8. if im not mistaken you are probably one of the BAD warlocks who sac their pet because they already think they are useless. even if they did nerf pet damage...which they will not, the most useful thing about pets are their utility like axetoss for a 4second stun and service summon another felgaurd for another axetoss because being stunned for more than 6 seconds is fair...(i love it)
9. What about that you turn into a demon hunter do you not understand...
10. so the new tank class that was introduced in this expansion...we will just ignore them? Monk are doing pretty good for being new tanks and they are getting buffed
And That was back when blizzard could not decide which talent tree for death knights would be the tank spec
i dont think that would be the issue

okay so recap.....you are a special kinda of stupid
i hope that this does happen just because i will be strengthened by your extreme butt hurt
I love this glyph
I will use it all the time
you are terribad for thinking that it has no utility and i hope a rogue ganks you because if one try to kill me ill turn on this glyph and ill crush them in pve gear
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
With your logic:

Druids and monks wear leather. The 2nd highest most "brittle" armor in the game. They shouldn't have tank specs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Luckily scissors are not a usable item ingame. The actual physical damage mitigation difference between leather and cloth is nearly negligible, all of it gets fixed with % armor increases anyway from things like metamorphasis and DA, both make u plate wearers with shields.

4th specs may be a thing they add to every class in a future expansion instead of adding a new class or race.

Greenfire has been requested by more people than you think.
Edited by Foamy on 3/1/2013 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
i think a 4th spec for every class would be way cooler than a new class because it would make me want to replay every class not just some new one...but im sure druids will QQ "why didnt we get something new"
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
1. So? Druids turn into bears and we turning to demon hunters and we get plated scaled skin
2.Wrong DA has many uses like : * Running under geared guildies through 5man heroic to get them gear
*Soloing bosses that can not be bursted down while alone
*saving your 5man heroic groups from a while because the tank is really bad and dies and you end up being 100times better than his sorry...
*looking cool
*turning on aura of enfeeblement on an enemy player so that they can speak demon to communicate across sides or just talk to warlocks with it on ingeneral
3. Sure, w/e...what are you a republican? Do you really hate change that much? Are you like 80 years old and the change the happens around you scare you? Did Amanda Bynes call your house to order pizza while you scream at her "YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBA!"

4. Dude if you can't tank trash mobs with this glyph you are really bad at this game and should just quit now
5. You can't predict the future. there is a wide variety of player in this game with different playing styles. I still see people actually try to 1vs1 players as destro with no pet... like what moron wants to be guy with no cc after they fear. What do you mean it will unbalance us? That's like blizzard saying "Oh Chaos bolt hits too hard...lets nerf affliction...."
6. The Hybrid Tax is a MYTH. if this were to happen which it may not... it would be completely separate from Demonology and would not effect it whatsoever

7. ..... YOU HAVE NO 7th REASON ......are you kidding me?

8. if im not mistaken you are probably one of the BAD warlocks who sac their pet because they already think they are useless. even if they did nerf pet damage...which they will not, the most useful thing about pets are their utility like axetoss for a 4second stun and service summon another felgaurd for another axetoss because being stunned for more than 6 seconds is fair...(i love it)
9. What about that you turn into a demon hunter do you not understand...
10. so the new tank class that was introduced in this expansion...we will just ignore them? Monk are doing pretty good for being new tanks and they are getting buffed
And That was back when blizzard could not decide which talent tree for death knights would be the tank spec
i dont think that would be the issue

okay so recap.....you are a special kinda of stupid
i hope that this does happen just because i will be strengthened by your extreme butt hurt
I love this glyph
I will use it all the time
you are terribad for thinking that it has no utility and i hope a rogue ganks you because if one try to kill me ill turn on this glyph and ill crush them in pve gear

All I read from what you posted is "I just hit puberty and need an easy mode for warlock." Pve and pvp are two totally different fields that clash against one another. DA basically turns the warlock into and instacast spamming class for pvp. Yes you are a semitank in pve, but pvp it provides to much of a breather space for the lock. Instead of learning to kite and hard cast they can run after a target as if they were a warrior. I never stated anything about not being able to use it. In fact I stated the opposite saying it can be used to tank trash mobs. Please reroll, as its locks like you who are giving demo a bad reputation.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
Dude you could have atleast answered ONE of my questions or statements with a response but you instead you try to talk about my age? I'm 20 i've played this game since i was 12. I don't need you talking to me about MY CLASS when your sorry !@# has not even raided once. And seriously 4k achevement points no old content raided and you havent atleast gotten your elite set of pvp gear? what? Dude if you don't even play this game why even post on the forums at all? Either be a man and talking to me about why you dont like this idea of this happening instead of dodging it.
Answer my questions, Respond to my statements, or get off of the warlock forums, quit playing warlocks, and get out of my sight. You are trash
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
and yeah you count like this 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I wish people would stop complaining about this.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
And on the flipside I think I have a general outline of what the opposite side's points are

1) We have DA. Just do it. Duh.
2) You can't counter my points, and when you do I'll ignore them
3) I want it
4) You don't speak for everyone
5) I'll just pout until Blizzard ends up taking it away because they get sick of listening to Demo tank threads. This is why we can't have nice things
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
Varlth can we just agree that we obviously hate each other for no reason and the account wide thing doesnt show boss kills
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
atleast you will respond to literally everything i say
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Blizzard has made it very clear that they never intend for Warlocks to tank. DA is a fun ability that gives us some added functionality and allows us to temporarily take over the role of a tank, there's no way Blizzard would ever intentionally let us consistently tank current content, especially raid content.
Edited by Noxidus on 3/1/2013 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
HiJ
03/01/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Noxidus
there's no way Blizzard would ever intentionally let us consistently tank current content, especially raid content.
Well, other than a bunch of bosses in TBC and the only progression boss in tier 7.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
there's no way Blizzard would ever intentionally let us consistently tank current content, especially raid content.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
8) Our pets would be useless.
9) Doesn't fit the role of Demo, Demo is a warlock who mastered the art of summoning and controlling demons to fight for him. Yes he can turn into one for a limited amount which is for his DPS burst, not to survive a burst.

Just a few reasons why Demo is not, will not, and never well be a tanking spec. QQ as much as you want for it, it won't make a difference as it has to much of an impact on the entire structure of wow.

I disagree.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]