DK or Warrior?

90 Orc Hunter
Looking to get into a plate class. I've played a DK to 80 and a Warrior to about 36 altough that was a long long time ago and Warriors are a lot different. I was wondering what you guys think.

I like instances and some raiding, like to PVP BGs mostly and some arena for fun. I also like to solo older content/raids and transmog runs. PVP feel and fun is probably the bigger factor of the bunch.

Both classes have turned me off a bit do to the rune system which seemed a bit confusing and building up rage which was never fun. I have tried Pally too up to 80 but really don't like where they are so it is between DK and Warrior.

Any replies and advice appreciated!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Anyone who has played both classes I would be interested in hearing your take on which class to give a shot. Sorry if I didn't exactly ask detailed questions, here are a couple.

Is the DK rune system easier to pick up than I think?

I probably was more of a masher than really knowing exactly how to get the most out of runes when I played a DK last. It still seems a bit imtimidating however, more so in pvp situations.

How is DK CCs? I know you have chains/grip/aoe snare from playing one before, anyhting changed since LK in the CC department?

For warriors the stance dancing and starting off with little to now rage threw me off a bit.

Anyone who has played both, would you rather deal with stances/rage or learing the DKs rune system?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Play a DK. I have a 90 DK and 90 Arms warrior, and I would chose my DK over my warrior any day. I personally don't like the rotation for them.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Hey man, I'm also looking for some info bout DKs but I think I can help a little. I have a lvl 90 warr and a lvl 89 DK. I don't know what's gonna happen after 5.2 hits, but warrs are somewhat able to solo stuff because of second wind. And I'm sure you know how powerful they happen to be in PVP.... For now. Either way stance-dancing is a thing of the past! You now sit in Defensive Stance all day to enjoy an awesome damage reduction, which is going to be nerfed to 15% (iirc) in 5.2. Right now some abilities grants you rage, while others burns your rage.

I've been a Blood PVE DK since day one, and I like the style it has. But right now I'm about to hit lvl 90 and figured out I should try the other two specs, because PVP. And ppl obliterated the !@#$ outta me in random bgs as Unholy/Frost. Yes, the rune system will %^-* you up and you will not enjoy it. But hey, it's a matter of practice I think. For some reason it felt like I was playing a different class.

Since Blizzard likes to nerf and buff stuff with the surgical precision of a rusty chainsaw, IMO you should go with the class that feels better at their core. DKs should always be good at soloing stuff, warriors not so much imho. Both should always be viable in PVP. You still get to enjoy a pet as a DK, if you are into that. I know I am.

So... As a casual player who happens to enjoy soloing stuff and PVP I'm gonna stick to my Hunter and in the near future, my DK. I hope you get to understand what I'm saying, because my engrish is not stronk enoff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I kinda skipped cata, when I came back after MOP launched I leveled my war up first so I guess Ill give this a stab since I have both.

In pvp their in similar spots, with warriors being a bit better off this past patch 5.1 due to their blow people up macro and being able to sit in D-stance permanently in pvp. In 5.2 they're seeing a bit of a pvp nerf, and a few mechanical changes with OP, nerfed D-stance and shockwave/warbringer, and a few damage buff's especially to slam.

People have their opinions but pvp was much easier on my warrior, even when under geared. More controlled burst, better toolkit overall and far better mobility. I don't want to say it's faceroll, but even compared to frost, arm's warriors are easy to play.

PvE Fury is still the way you want to go, but Arms is up there too if you care. I typically tank in PvE and it's a blast on the warrior. Again, great tools, great mobility, rotations in pve are pretty easy to pick up as well. IMO easier to deal with than managing RP and runes on a DK.

They Solo old world content just fine especially with Second Wind, though they aren't the best at it. Fury is a good spec to use for the Bloodthirst heal. Prot does fine, and second wind eventually will save any spec in most situations if your HP gets down that low. Second wind truly is OP in certain situations, haha.

Overall, they are fun to play... but are easy to use and incredibly simple. High Mobility but also highly susceptible to kiting. Rage is a fantastic resource system in group pvp, and they become more powerful the more teammates they have supporting them, arguably moreso than any other class.

DK's are pretty much around the same level in just about everything. The runes and RP system are a bit more engaging. Frost is a bit more simpler than Unholy, but mostly due to the pet. They are just different playstyles. I like to think of it as sprinting vs jogging or Frost and Unholy respectively.

Frost brings little to the table besides burst and damage, but it does a good job at what it does. Unholy is more slower, setting up and pressure in other way's like more, and more powerful Necrotic strikes.

War's have better defensive cooldowns in pvp but like I said above DK's put out more damage/pressure. Outside of their pwn everyone killshot macro.

PvE, similar. DW frost is more in depth than 2h frost or Unholy, but rune/RP management will still be a little more to manage than just simply watching and spending rage. Tanking, I have noticed DK tanking is a bit more bursty, while the biggest difference is DK tanks do more dps, heal more due to a lack of a shield.

I decided to main my DK, just because I am drawn to the class more and I think it's more fun to play. Warrior mobility is a blast however, and quiet frankly I find them to be a bit too simple even with all their different tools. You no longer stance dance, and I am not a fan of the reckbomb macro, being on both sides of it.

Eh, hope that helps some.
Reply Quote
So I'm playing a warrior as fury/prot and a dk as frost/blood I actually enjoy both and can't say I prefer one over the other. I should add I only pve.

As far as tanking goes, I prefer to be on my dk if I'm gonna have adds because it's easier for me to pick them up. Warrior tanking is alright. I enjoy hitting shield block and listening to the 15 mobs clank clank clank on my shield.

If you like soloing old content, I'd go DK. 2nd wind is nice and all (and it's gonna get nerfed), but I've run through MoP heroics where the healer got locked out on a boss fight (my bad :0) and went on a rant "way to go tank, have fun with no healer" and I healed myself just fine and we downed the boss. Healer was just like "damn OP blood dks." LoL
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
So I'm playing a warrior as fury/prot and a dk as frost/blood I actually enjoy both and can't say I prefer one over the other. I should add I only pve.

As far as tanking goes, I prefer to be on my dk if I'm gonna have adds because it's easier for me to pick them up. Warrior tanking is alright. I enjoy hitting shield block and listening to the 15 mobs clank clank clank on my shield.

If you like soloing old content, I'd go DK. 2nd wind is nice and all (and it's gonna get nerfed), but I've run through MoP heroics where the healer got locked out on a boss fight (my bad :0) and went on a rant "way to go tank, have fun with no healer" and I healed myself just fine and we downed the boss. Healer was just like "damn OP blood dks." LoL

That's funny, probably the second dungeon after I dinged 90. I was tanking and someone pulled the boss, just 2 of us. Pretty much said the same thing, "way to go, have fun with no heals" The dps ended up dieing due to aoe, but about 5 minutes later I downed the boss. OP DK comments ensued.

While funny, I know something like that just can't be done on my warrior. It's not necessarily OP, DK's are just mechanically better at solo'ing and healing/dps. War's have much better tanking cooldowns and defensive ability's IMO. Hell, before DK's back in burning crusade, paladin tanks were FAR better solo'ing things than war's.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
DK has better survivablility
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
That they do. Well, if they're smart and play Unholy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
KA

Yep.....about as survivable as this thread you just necro'd.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
For soloing old content DK all the way
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]