Unholy DK PvP Guide (5.4)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Read MMO champion. Sudden doom reduces death coil costs by 20% and we need to be in unholy presence to proc the free ones
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Edited by Gethrian on 4/10/2013 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
HPaladinDisc PriestRShamMWRDruid

I was doing 2's with a Resto druid and we got to 1549, we just couldn't do any better with the lack of CC
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
A few humble questions. I started playing my DK again and a few things came up:

- I was using necrotic a lot as frost (this was something people did a lot in cata) and it didn't work very well. Is it better to just cram obliterates and only use necrotic sparingly?

- Why is glyph of anti-magic shell not a consideration for PvP?

- Is the gargoyle still retarded, or will it shoot the target I actually put it on now? Its frankly hard to notice sometimes because of all the numbers flying around (in WOTLK, it used to have a threat table and end up on healers regardless of who I put it on)

- Does haste give my pet attack speed, and if so does unholy frenzy improve it further?

- I play my DK with a mage, and it feels like a lot of the time my necrotics don't do anything because of the burstiness of mages; either something explodes or stays at >80% health. Is necrotic equally effective in all comps?

- If one were not to choose blood tap (I recently started using it, and its a tricky beast to learn) of the remaining two talent choices in the tier, which is better?

- I'm finding the hardest healer to kill to be mistweavers (in 3v3 we usually just CC them. In 2v2 it isn't an option.) How do I go about bringing them down?

- I tried to aspyhixiate a rogue with cloak of shadows up, and it didn't work. Are you sure about it going through cloak?
Edited by Natalya on 4/12/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thanks for the answers.

I meant if I use UF on myself, does it make my pets faster. Worded it poorly.

One follow up - does the haste granted when I use UF on myself make the garg shoot faster?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I just switched to UH & I followed your guide (at least I thought I did) and yet my DPS was terrible last night. What are the most likely things that I am doing wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I'm keeping my diseases up at all times, spreading them with blood boil, using all the other abilities (scourge strike, necrotic strike, festering strike, etc) + have my pet on passive & keybinded attack to plague strike, using death coil to build up blood charges to use blood tap, etc. and yet my DPS has been around 7K which is awful.

My DPS on the ?? dummy is around 30K which is not that bad. I know dummy DPS =/= PvP DPS but this is rather frustrating.
Edited by Infestyx on 4/13/2013 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Isn't 7K absolutely awful though?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I don't know why you'd attack the ?? dummy in pvp gear, as its a boss level mob and reduces your chance to crit and hit it. Hitting the 90 would be a better representation, but its still not really worth considering. You can use it to practice a dps rotation, but that usually falls apart in PvP anyway.

DPS is pretty irrelevant, what matters is winning the game. Sometimes doing a lot of damage in arena doesn't even translate to much dps. Rogues do awful dps in pvp, because they do it all at once during shadowdance. Mages are similiar.
Reply Quote
56 Troll Death Knight
One follow up - does the haste granted when I use UF on myself make the garg shoot faster?

First and foremost; giggity.
Secondly; I'm not overly sure, but at least I think so. Some people have said before that the garg only gets haste from your spell haste. Go whack a dummy with the non UF garg and one with UF and test it yourself.

None the less, they line up perfectly so despite if it does or not you might as well just macro them together anyways.
Edited by Jäckßäuer on 4/15/2013 4:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
04/12/2013 04:07 AMPosted by Zepiroth
HPaladinDisc PriestRShamMWRDruid

I was doing 2's with a Resto druid and we got to 1549, we just couldn't do any better with the lack of CC

You have massive CC as resto/dk. Grab asphyxiate and after your stun let the druid take care of it. After the first cyclone, grip in the healer and use your pet stun, into another clone. that should give you plenty of time to kill whoever you are on.

Best suggestion : do NOT use ANY CD's until they are out of defensives. I run double trinket in 2s, and only pop my trinket in the beg to get some defensives, in the next minute i land a kill.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm keeping my diseases up at all times, spreading them with blood boil, using all the other abilities (scourge strike, necrotic strike, festering strike, etc) + have my pet on passive & keybinded attack to plague strike, using death coil to build up blood charges to use blood tap, etc. and yet my DPS has been around 7K which is awful.

My DPS on the ?? dummy is around 30K which is not that bad. I know dummy DPS =/= PvP DPS but this is rather frustrating.

First, get rid of runic corruption. Second, check your rotation and make sure you are using runes appropriately. I just checked my single target DPS on a lvl 90 dummy and i do 40-50k without CDs (without using aoe abilities).

In PVP you should be averaging about 15-20k+ dps since most of your damage is from disease aoe. Also bind your pet to more abilities insteas of just plague strike.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Thanks for the answers.

I meant if I use UF on myself, does it make my pets faster. Worded it poorly.

Yes it does. In cata it used a "snapshot" system when you first cast gargoyle, "snapshotting" your stats. I do not believe it works that way anymore and it just gains your stats at the same time you do. But since i am used to it, I always frenzy 5-10s before I cast garg anyways
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
What macro do i use to make the pet stay on the focus target after it leaps to it? when i make it leap to focus he runs off to atk target right away, making it hard to follow up with gnaw for more CC.

the one i use is this:

#showtooltip Leap
/cast [mod:shift, @focus] []Leap
/petattack
Edited by Ozunoo on 4/17/2013 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
What macro do i use to make the pet stay on the focus target after it leaps to it? when i make it leap to focus he runs off to atk target right away, making it hard to follow up with gnaw for more CC.

the one i use is this:

#showtooltip Leap
/cast [mod:shift, @focus] []Leap
/petattack

This happens because the pet attack portion of the macro is not set to attack your focus target. If u leap @focus, you also have to petattack @focus. The pet attack is going on what you are targeting in your current macro, which is why it goes back on your main target.

I usually gripterrupt (ha) into a pet stun, and then use the leap to interrupt the next cast (can only be done with monstrosity).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]