Unholy DK PvP Guide (5.4)

90 Human Death Knight
LAG
03/05/2013 11:57 AMPosted by Kusari

wait what, really?
thats assuming the target dies before the debuff explodes otherwise you get nothing

i know, but the way he is wording it is misleading..
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
I like the posts saying play frost, in an unholy dk pvp guide thread, kinda comical.

The only things i'd throw my 2 cents in with are chillbain and pet macros.

Unless running with a second mele that can snare for you, i feel chillbains is mandatory considering the amount of snares slows roots cc's currently in the game. Including the 5.2 buffs the combo of glyph of IT and chillbains is looking extremely strong, a debuffer and a slow for 1 rune.

As for pet macros you may want to include a section where you indicate once you become comfortable with having your pet on passive and controlling him with shared macros the next step is to create separate pet macros completely for /petattack, /petfollow, claw, etc etc. Since those keybinds for pets can be used in between gcds it's not that extreme and really helps out high level play just takes some getting use to.

Also thank you for that death pact/garg macro i never even considered leaching health off the garg I'll be implementing that immediately. All in all great guide, glad someone put the time in to create something like this on the forums. Needs to be stickyed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Thanks for the guide Pachy. Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Thoughts on Conversion so far?

The only time I was killed with it up was when I was getting like 3+v1'd.

Not gonna lie, it's pretty awesome. I miss the burst healing of deathpact but it easily stays up, and in blood presence it really helps with surviveability.

Obviously the downside is it uses dps resources but, I have been having good results with it so far.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i herd wielding was better for UH, is this true?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I have two questions:

1) Can I build a set of gear that will allow me to switch between unholy pvp and frost pvp? If so, which frost variant should I use, dual wield or 2H?

2) Do you have a suggested gear list? 5/5 set gear, trinkets, and weapons are all no--brainers, but what offpieces should I be getting?

Thanks for the guide. I want to give unholy a solid shot this season.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
My question is if conversion helps with hunters... or not really? I am also wondering, as you get some experience with 5.2, what are the toughest match-ups for UH dk now?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Killing 2 dwarfs with one disease, I'll give this thread a bump because it must go on top where the stickies belong for great justice!

Good job Pachy! Maybe you can add some general strategies for people new to DKs and/or Unholy spec... You know like quick tips on how to optimize our damage and manage our runes properly maybe.

Keep it alive folks!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Killing 2 dwarfs with one disease, I'll give this thread a bump because it must go on top where the stickies belong for great justice!

Good job Pachy! Maybe you can add some general strategies for people new to DKs and/or Unholy spec... You know like quick tips on how to optimize our damage and manage our runes properly maybe.

Keep it alive folks!

Agreed. I've been looking around for the last few days for some general tips and strategies as i have not played Unholy since early Cata.

I have to admit i am feeling a little lost.

For instance, Unholy is a "pressure" spec now i am told. Well in Frost i put pressure on them by Obliterating their face.

So how is Unholy a better pressure spec. Because i can stack more Necro's on a healer? is that the only thing i am good at? I am struggling to see how the word pressure isn't just a fancy way of saying slower. Killing people more slowly also means i have to stay alive longer.

I have a million questions really, but maybe if we can start at the beginning.....

PS: good job on this post Pachy, it has helped.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
03/07/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Skorpius
For instance, Unholy is a "pressure" spec now i am told. Well in Frost i put pressure on them by Obliterating their face.

I've always thought of pressure as limiting an opponents options without outright CCing them. Some examples:

Rooted? Alright fine, but guess what? My pet's still chasing you, I still have Death Coil to empower and heal him, and I have plenty of rp coming in because of my 2-piece bonus and gloves.

Mage or Priest pops a barrier? How cute. Icy Touch.

Second Wind procs? Necrotic. Thanks for the free heals!

It's not just dpsing someone, its doing that while controlling them at the same time.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply guys, i was kind of wondering if i should post this so soon after the patch or whether i should wait for a couple of weeks until i've had more time back in Unholy. I have been having some really horrible games the last couple of days, so i have not really had a chance to learn as much as i would of liked.

Not really the specs fault, just bad timing coming up against premades 9 out of 10 times when im trying to learn.
Reply Quote
When people allude to unholy being a pressure spec a lot of it has to deal with most of unholies damage being backloaded. None of its abilities save soul reaper detonations hit overly hard. The necrotic absorbs are one more thing your target has to worry about. The disease ticks and pets constantly whittling away all add up to the damage that makes healers sweat as they also have to deal with your other control tools like strang/gnaw/mindfreeze

As previously stated its not the upfront damage unholy brings that makes it one of the best pressure specs its the steady damage plus the healer control and shutdowns it brings
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
03/07/2013 09:00 PMPosted by Karaahl

I've always thought of pressure as limiting an opponents options without outright CCing them. Some examples:

Rooted? Alright fine, but guess what? My pet's still chasing you, I still have Death Coil to empower and heal him, and I have plenty of rp coming in because of my 2-piece bonus and gloves.

Mage or Priest pops a barrier? How cute. Icy Touch.

Second Wind procs? Necrotic. Thanks for the free heals!

It's not just dpsing someone, its doing that while controlling them at the same time.

Um...Necrotic strike doesn't heal you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I like the posts saying play frost, in an unholy dk pvp guide thread, kinda comical.

The only things i'd throw my 2 cents in with are chillbain and pet macros.

Unless running with a second mele that can snare for you, i feel chillbains is mandatory considering the amount of snares slows roots cc's currently in the game. Including the 5.2 buffs the combo of glyph of IT and chillbains is looking extremely strong, a debuffer and a slow for 1 rune.

As for pet macros you may want to include a section where you indicate once you become comfortable with having your pet on passive and controlling him with shared macros the next step is to create separate pet macros completely for /petattack, /petfollow, claw, etc etc. Since those keybinds for pets can be used in between gcds it's not that extreme and really helps out high level play just takes some getting use to.

Also thank you for that death pact/garg macro i never even considered leaching health off the garg I'll be implementing that immediately. All in all great guide, glad someone put the time in to create something like this on the forums. Needs to be stickyed.

im kinda liking DA over 'blains for unholy. unholy with DA is fast as hell. i can catch r druids and hpallies.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Chillblains is nice, with rolling blood and pestilence glyph, getting diseases up on everyone snaring them. Unless there is someone else doing that.

Unholy with DA and UH presence passively runs at 126% which is nice, also keeps you from getting snared below 70% MS, which passively that would still leave you around 88% if my math is correct. That's not including the activation, which lets you stay at 100%.

With as much as I presence swap in and out to blood for the defense, that helps kill part of the advantage to deaths advance. But also as UH your not applying FF constantly like frost with HB. I suppose you could make an argument for constantly using IT for the purge.

I havent tried, but does rolling blood cause chillblains to reactivate? I suppose that would make a big difference for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]