blackhand what happened

90 Pandaren Monk
Cross realm does not solve the problem of a dead server auction house. Have you seen what is happening to low level mats on BH?

Buy hey! BH is now a New Player server so it's free to transfer here! ;)

If you don't like it, you can reroll, transfer, or farm up the mats yourself. You don't have to buy everything on the AH.

On that note, Blackhand sucks and enjoying Mal'ganis a lot more.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I don't think I would like a server that was entirely one-sided like that.

Also: Do half the people in trade type in Chinese like on Illidan?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I don't think I would like a server that was entirely one-sided like that.

Also: Do half the people in trade type in Chinese like on Illidan?

It isn't that bad, it's big but not big enough that you can't get things done, which I imagine Illidan is like and what Area 52 was like in Cataclysm.

And no to the Chinese.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I've done raiding on both Mal'ganis and Illidan, both great places to just pug hard modes on the spot. The sheer amount of qualified players and activity kinda drives away the casuals pretty quickly, alongside the queues. And no Chinese on MG. It's only one sided in capital cities and Pandaria, the rest is normal pvp via CRZ.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I'm going to ramble at you a bit. If you don't see anything useful here, just move on - no intent to insult or be negative. As a former resident of Blackhand I'm just trying to help you brainstorm (from a distance)

First, lets frame whats happening.

The game is evolving. Back in the day of 20 and 40 man raids you had more of a heterogeneous mix. Even in more progressive 40-man raid teams you had a broad range of players. The hardcores and the slackers could easily co-exist in a single guild's MC raid. I remember well many people pushing their skills and a few basically just autoshotting and trying to stay alive.

Then Karazhan came along and started to separate us. Guilds fell apart as the hardcores pushed boundaries and geared up fast in 10-man Kara leaving their less motivated brethren lacking gear and skills for 25-man Magtheridon's Lair and Gruul's Lair. In many (most?) cases players with similar goals and performance found each other. That 10-man roadblock to 25 man content shook up the world (or warcraft) and encouraged homogeneity.

Since TBC the differentiation between hardcore and casual was playing out on the guild level. But now something similar is going on with realms. Regardless your guild, the realm use to be the exclusive sandbox where you were known and those relationships were important when it came to finding groups and experiencing content. It was your home.

Now? Not so much. Whereas in years past a realm change or faction change might have labeled you as likely being a bad who had run out of town by your homies, now many players scan WoWprogress to find guilds at their skill level that are recruiting, transfer to join them, and theres no stigma.

Add changes like LFD, LFR, CRZ all diluting the importance of the realm as "home" while filling the world outside your city gates with cross-realm competitors and theres little incentive to stay on a realm you don't feel is a good fit. Especially since the economy of so many small realms is (at best) an unwanted game challenge.

So we now have players treating realms as they did guilds... hopping from one to another and clustering where they find like-minded people. Like Wpvp? Go to Emerald Dream. Like instanced pvp? Go to KT. Like instanced PvE? Maybe Mal'Ganis. Once you are there, drill down and find a guild you like. At this point in the game, homogeneity is two layers deep (realm and guild)

So where does that leave Blackhand and realms like it? If you use Karahzan as a metaphor, the players still on Blackhand now are like those who stayed with the old guild after the hardcores formed new ones to do Maggy.

Some of those old guilds failed. Not because the members didn't have anything to do... theres always lots to do in Warcraft besides high end raiding - even more so now. The guild and cultural fails were because in many cases the charismatic leaders were among the hardcore group and left behind a rudderless ship. Those that did survive (and thrive) as more casual guilds embraced their casual status. They looked back to some of the things popular in Vanilla that were lost.. the self created content, the dedication to helping one another, to fun silly stuff like gnome races.

Those casual guilds which remained and continue to thrive now cater to the demographic that the hardcores don't have patience for - moms who need a 15 minute afk to put the kids down, students now in grad school and career people who can't commit to a rigid schedule any longer but still want to see content, people who enjoy the battlepet scene, transmog enthusiasts, casual RBG'ers who like to coordinate but play without screaming, those who like to try to beat last weeks time on the Challenge Modes.

At this point in the game, Blackhand could position itself as a destination for those players - who I think you'll find skew toward an older more female demographic. Be casual and heterogeneous by intent and draw in players who want that. Don't see not having an overwhelming focus on progression PvE or competitive PvP as a problem... push your casual diversity as a selling point. So long as you have still have charismatic leaders on the realm, it doesn't matter what you do so long as you do something fun! Build it and they will come. And as they arrive and repopulate, the AH situation will remedy itself.

Hope this sparks some ideas for those of you banding together to "save" your server. :-)
Edited by Calliesta on 4/5/2013 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
I'm going to ramble at you a bit. If you don't see anything useful here, just move on - no intent to insult or be negative. As a former resident of Blackhand I'm just trying to help you brainstorm (from a distance)

First, lets frame whats happening.

The game is evolving. Back in the day of 20 and 40 man raids you had more of a heterogeneous mix. Even in more progressive 40-man raid teams you had a broad range of players. The hardcores and the slackers could easily co-exist in a single guild's MC raid. I remember well many people pushing their skills and a few basically just autoshotting and trying to stay alive.

Then Karazhan came along and started to separate us. Guilds fell apart as the hardcores pushed boundaries and geared up fast in 10-man Kara leaving their less motivated brethren lacking gear and skills for 25-man Magtheridon's Lair and Gruul's Lair. In many (most?) cases players with similar goals and performance found each other. That 10-man roadblock to 25 man content shook up the world (or warcraft) and encouraged homogeneity.

Since TBC the differentiation between hardcore and casual was playing out on the guild level. But now something similar is going on with realms. Regardless your guild, the realm use to be the exclusive sandbox where you were known and those relationships were important when it came to finding groups and experiencing content. It was your home.

Now? Not so much. Whereas in years past a realm change or faction change might have labeled you as likely being a bad who had run out of town by your homies, now many players scan WoWprogress to find guilds at their skill level that are recruiting, transfer to join them, and theres no stigma.

Add changes like LFD, LFR, CRZ all diluting the importance of the realm as "home" while filling the world outside your city gates with cross-realm competitors and theres little incentive to stay on a realm you don't feel is a good fit. Especially since the economy of so many small realms is (at best) an unwanted game challenge.

So we now have players treating realms as they did guilds... hopping from one to another and clustering where they find like-minded people. Like Wpvp? Go to Emerald Dream. Like instanced pvp? Go to KT. Like instanced PvE? Maybe Mal'Ganis. Once you are there, drill down and find a guild you like. At this point in the game, homogeneity is two layers deep (realm and guild)

So where does that leave Blackhand and realms like it? If you use Karahzan as a metaphor, the players still on Blackhand now are like those who stayed with the old guild after the hardcores formed new ones to do Maggy.

Some of those old guilds failed. Not because the members didn't have anything to do... theres always lots to do in Warcraft besides high end raiding - even more so now. The guild and cultural fails were because in many cases the charismatic leaders were among the hardcore group and left behind a rudderless ship. Those that did survive (and thrive) as more casual guilds embraced their casual status. They looked back to some of the things popular in Vanilla that were lost.. the self created content, the dedication to helping one another, to fun silly stuff like gnome races.

Those casual guilds which remained and continue to thrive now cater to the demographic that the hardcores don't have patience for - moms who need a 15 minute afk to put the kids down, students now in grad school and career people who can't commit to a rigid schedule any longer but still want to see content, people who enjoy the battlepet scene, transmog enthusiasts, casual RBG'ers who like to coordinate but play without screaming, those who like to try to beat last weeks time on the Challenge Modes.

At this point in the game, Blackhand could position itself as a destination for those players - who I think you'll find skew toward an older more female demographic. Be casual and heterogeneous by intent and draw in players who want that. Don't see not having an overwhelming focus on progression PvE or competitive PvP as a problem... push your casual diversity as a selling point. So long as you have still have charismatic leaders on the realm, it doesn't matter what you do so long as you do something fun! Build it and they will come. And as they arrive and repopulate, the AH situation will remedy itself.

Hope this sparks some ideas for those of you banding together to "save" your server. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

*sigh*

Pretty sad when someone who doesn't even play on Blackhand anymore seems to care more and contribute more than this troll. Consider the possibility that one reason the realm is in trouble is folks not only tolerating people like him but enabling his kind by making them officers of any guild - no matter how significant or insignificant that guild might be.
Edited by Calliesta on 4/9/2013 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
32 Human Warrior
I'm new to Blackhand (play on Icecrown mainly). What's with the stupidly high prices for very low level items in the auction house? I saw a level 11 item that they were asking 30,000 gold for? Is there a strategy here or are they just insane?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's just someone hoping the person buying is drunk or not paying attention. You see that no matter what server you're on.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Holy crap Ijanaak is still alive.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
just looked and it says medium for blackhand
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Sounds like a lot of you want more dedication to rebuilding the server. Helping each other on quests and learning and banding together to make a strong group will attract others to the server.

It's like a pro team in the rebuilding years. Not really sure what I could do, but I'll think of something.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
It is rough having to rebuild. I have had to rebuild my guild multiple times. But now well it is getting harder.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
People are moving on, with realms being merged it's like a guild merger only realm wide. Hard to get good guilds to come together and help progress in content. My thoughts are people are most likely focused on a lot of the single player content. exemptions permitting.

All this talk, I don't know why I'm putting my 2 cents in, I'm not even in the fight at 90 yet! can't wait!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It is rough having to rebuild. I have had to rebuild my guild multiple times. But now well it is getting harder.

You're absolutely correct. I've complained about this for the last year. Every time I seem to get a core 10m group of people together we lose a few once we start clearing content, by the time you recruit another, you lose another. Mostly due to casualness. Seems people will be playing everything is going good, they go offline, and you don't see them again. It's either you get a player you have to help gear and teach, you get someone that just wants carried and loot or you get an elitist who doesn't give you a chance and will leave in a week if you don't kill 6 bosses the first night.

It seems every few months I'm recruiting at least 3 new people, but it's very tough to find them, especially quality players who are reliable. I think we seem to keep about a solid 6-7 players at all times while trying to keep the group topped off. We have social members, but they aren't very good at raiding, so it's hard to use them as a "fill in".

I've been on larger servers, and that's what I miss, how easy it is to recruit and progress, however Blackhand is mature compared to most.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
This server is fine.. just the alliance is a problem. They are full of kids that have the attention span of a carrot.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
People move on, go casual, grow, get tired. Some people are left from the heyday of the server, some drop in and out casually. I actually think that's to be expected from people as they mature and life dictates new circumstances to them. Blackhand used to be pretty stout, but you can't expect the backbone of the server to make a hardcore 6 year run of gaming as a rule. Sooner or later they move on. Still some solid people out there hiding in the fringe, but yah they're more than likely not going to be doing the same thing for 6 years.

My only issue is how chicken this server has become. NO casuals have the guts to do ANYTHING other than LFR it seems. Disappointing.
Reply Quote
31 Tauren Paladin
huh? I checked and Blackhand isn't dead.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This server is fine.. just the alliance is a problem. They are full of kids that have the attention span of a carrot.

Why blame the alliance for problems horde side on a PvE server? One does not pertain to the other. Would seem more childish on your part to generalize the other faction that has nothing to do with your condition.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]