Flagged in new areas.

90 Pandaren Hunter
Yeah, I saw that. It amuses me that people think world pvp will ever be truly fair. Often it comes down to whomever brings most friends. But as for me? I'm totally digging the new rares and fishing stuff. Gonna fish me up a tiny carp. :3
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Just be thankful you're not on Kil'Jaeden.

Apparently an Alliance guild and others (200 total) decided to camp the horde boat with constant aoe, killing anyone who took the portal from the Shado Pan Garrison.

So brutal, in fact, that a GM threatened to 3 hour ban the lot of them.

We've got it easy!

That's pretty bad but Kil'Jaeden is a PvP realm. It's kinda inconsistent for them to take action against those that gank 90s who can't do anything about it, but take no action against those that gank lowbies repeatedly. They should stick to their policy on PvP realms and if this is due to a design flaw they should own up to it and fix it. They shouldn't punish people for playing according to the designated playstyle of the realm.
Edited by Grapthar on 3/7/2013 10:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
How did they get access to the boats in the first place? Flying's restricted, and you need to use the orbs to get between the boats and the respective shore bases. Is there a ramp from the water that I didn't notice?

this is how: http://oi46.tinypic.com/b4jfbd.jpg
Reply Quote
Quit it please. I just want to do my dailies after work. I don't want anything to do with PvP. Stop jumping around flagged, waiting for an accident and ganking non-pvpers. I have limited time to play, and I didn't roll on a non-PvP server to have it ruined by people who should be on one.

I stand by Mixler. You are right, this isnt a PVP server, its an RP server. Our factions also happen to be at war. Some people play flagged because its more realistic to actually fight the other faction. Because people decide to play flagged does not mean that they belong on a pvp server. Making a gerneral statement like that takes away from the real topic of your post calling out !@#$%^-s who try to grief you into flagging. Your frusteration might be better alleviated by reporting them, not making a forum post.

There's a community of us who play permaflagged with no intention of making non-pvpers flag. Intentions are one thing, but if it happens you'll take the kill right?

Actually no. Speaking for myself, because that's the only person who I can speak for, I dont. If someone accidentally flags and I am questing flagged, its pretty obvious when that was not their intention. Unless they continue attacking me, I will generally give them a quick salute or nod and continue about my questing.

Maybe some of you are just "inviting" pvp from those that are actually interested, but I also see a lot of griefing and hubris.

Then focus your attack on those who are doing this and dont generaize everyone who chooses to play flagged into one box and attack them on the forums.

This is not about one particular person. When we evaluate our intentions we should also consider the effects of our actions.

You're right, it isn't about one particular person, it's about everyone. Everyone chooses to play on an RP server for different reasons. You choose not to pvp, others do for another level of realism, others want to grief. People who choose to grief have evaluated the effects of their actions, that's why they do it.

nah, They're mostly those who have been here a while and don't wanna move and become the small fish.
...or perhaps they are also those who have been on this server because this is the community they choose to be a part of. Speaking for myself again, I choose not to go to another server because I have been here for 8+ years. I could easily go to another higher pop server and join a raid that makes much faster progression or a pvp team that 2200+ but that's not the only reason I play wow. I think if you get past making sweeping generalizations about a population, channeling buddah and simi-quoting The Road to Nirvana may actually hold more weight.

/salute

Duke
Edited by Dukago on 3/7/2013 2:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Then focus your attack on those who are doing this and dont generaize everyone who chooses to play flagged into one box and attack them on the forums.

I kinda have to speak in general terms since calling out individuals is not allowed on this forum. If you are taking offense to what I say than are you including yourself in the group of people I am "attacking" (as you put it); those that flag for the purpose of trapping people who are not interested in pvp? Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
Edited by Grapthar on 3/7/2013 2:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
03/07/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Grapthar

I kinda have to speak in general terms since calling out individuals is not allowed on this forum. If you are taking offense to what I say than are you including yourself in the group of people I am "attacking" (as you put it); those that flag for the purpose of trapping people who are not interested in pvp? Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

There's a community of us who play permaflagged with no intention of making non-pvpers flag.

Intentions are one thing, but if it happens you'll take the kill right?

Yes I take offense because yes, you are implying that "oh well you may have other intentions but you would in the end act like those who are "trapping" " in effect you are generalizing everyone. Seems pretty clear in your own words. If that isn't you intent, don't post them. Easy fix and, hey look at that, we're back on topic posting about griefers.

Duke
Edited by Dukago on 3/7/2013 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
You consider that an attack? It's a question. It's somewhat rhetorical (I suppose somewhat snarky) and an attempt to get people to consider that their intentions have unintended results. I can jump out of a plane without a parachute and intend to float safely to the ground but unlikely that will happen. Again I am sorry it was not clear.

I am obviously not generalizing everyone. First off because not everyone walks around flagged. Secondly because I have made distinctions among the flagging set. I think you owe me an apology.

Finally I don't think we have ever been off topic. When discussing griefing the distinction between those that intend to, and those don't intend to, is important. So is the distinction between those that do and do not actually grief.
Edited by Grapthar on 3/7/2013 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
/popcorn
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I am obviously not generalizing everyone. First off because not everyone walks around flagged. Secondly because I have made distinctions among the flagging set. I think you owe me an apology.

Yuck. You already admitted to generalizing everyone. And even if you didn't admit it, you did generalize everyone. When we evaluate our words, we should also consider them later for fear of contradiction. I think you owe me five dollars.

<(' '<) <( ' ' )> (>' ')>

In any case, my intent is always dark. I only flag and entrap players who are drunk enough to fall for it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
03/07/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Belmir
You already admitted to generalizing everyone.

Where?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqOBBhRpnxE
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Speaking in general terms does not equal generalizing people. Sorry you misunderstood.

I can see that people might take "They're mostly those who have been here a while..." as a generalization but I am talking about People who intentionally flag to trap people. That is not everyone, and that is not even everyone that flags. The word "mostly" may be a bit hyperbolic but the point was that it's not a lot of people coming here from PvP realms. Perhaps my view is a bit distorted. :)
Edited by Grapthar on 3/7/2013 4:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Perhaps? Or perhaps your intention had unintended results. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Perhaps? Or perhaps your intention had unintended results. ;)

Thank you :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
All this talk, sheesh. You guys are making me go blind.

I have easy fixes!

1) If you have pets, set them to passive so you can control what they hit.

2) Don't just tab-target. Click target if you have to.

3) WATCH what you're doing, for pete's sake.

OR...

Find something else to do until the craziness dies down. You really honestly can't do anything but laugh it off if you get painted red. Red is dead in this game. It's not big deal. At least you lose nothing but pride when you die. Oh, and maybe a pinch of gold. Unless the tab-targeting things is your favorite thing in the world to do... in which case, you'll make some gobby repair dude very happy.

If all of the above still doesn't do it for you, go eat cake.

:3
Edited by Jinglz on 3/7/2013 6:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
All this talk, sheesh. You guys are making me go blind.

I have easy fixes!

1) If you have pets, set them to passive so you can control what they hit.

2) Don't just tab-target. Click target if you have to.

3) WATCH what you're doing, for pete's sake.

OR...

Find something else to do until the craziness dies down. You really honestly can't do anything but laugh it off if you get painted red. Red is dead in this game. It's not big deal. At least you lose nothing but pride when you die. Oh, and maybe a pinch of gold. Unless the tab-targeting things is your favorite thing in the world to do... in which case, you'll make some gobby repair dude very happy.

If all of the above still doesn't do it for you, go eat cake.

:3

I have an even more effective method that has 100% avoided blue flagging for me for over 8 months.

Uninstall.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Haha - yeah that would work too.

On a serious note though. As much as this game has its fun, carefree side of exploration and pets and things, it's called WARcraft for a reason. You are going to meet it somewhere. If you can't handle it then...

Naw, CG's response summed it up better.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter

it's called WARcraft for a reason. You are going to meet it somewhere. If you can't handle it then...

I like Jinglz. But I hate that argument. I feel that it's very dismissive. It doesn't really work on a PvE server where a lot of the time there's no real recourse against players. That, and most folks sign up for Player Versus Environment. Sure, a lot of the people who wanted more PvP on RP servers are here because character transfers are still redonk expensive, RP-PvP servers were released far too late and all that jazz, but it's rude to force PvP on folks who don't want to*. And it's also bad manners to blue flag because openers are HUGE in PvP (So shame if you're jumping flagged players because you can safely).

This Isle is terrible for dealing with flagged people because there's so much aoe, so many linked mobs and it's more claustrophobic than R. Kelly's trapped in the closet. Better make sure you can take time to read each and every mob just to make sure. - Oops, all the mobs got tagged. Heaven help you in the Saurok area because flagged players and mobs look alike.

Sure, the first week always brings out the backsidehats. There are folks who run around flagged for good or bad. Frustration is understandable on both sides of the fence.

Frankly, I think this island was terribly designed, myself and that that's more to blame than the person here or there who opts to flag. IQD at least had open space with different areas that spawned the mobs you needed. It's Golden Lotus having a drunken daily crossover fanfic with IQD and not in a good way.

Someone vented because they were upset, and others commented. I think they both have valid points. Though, if the game is genuinely frustrating, someone may want to check out either other areas or some other stuff. I've had more fun hunting the rares and fishing (We fished up the big boss!) than fighting a bajillion people for mobs and having chests yanked out from under me.

That said, if one is so burned out and cynical as to assume everyone is out to grief, flag you or bluewall you or whatever, it's probably best to put the game down a little while. WoW isn't going anywhere.

*Lookin' at you, folks who abused the Cascade exploit in Halfhill to murder people with guards, folks sitting on NPCs and such.
Edited by Novikova on 3/8/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
I heard there was PvPQQ happening and came as quickly as I could!

Let me give you an anecdotal response to all the tear filled, bleeding-heart, 'why can't we all just get along?' nonsense happening here.

By now you all know that I do all the things permaflagged. So do many of my compatriots. Most days this doesn't actually result in any PvP combat. Most players manage to successfully steer clear, and the few who don't are usually hunting me on purpose because they hate me with a fiery passion. (Working as intended.)

Yesterday I was questing on the Isle with a group of the vicious, bloodthirsty bastards who inhabit Thundering Hammer alongside me and was unintentionally blue flagged by a mage while my group was working on one of the 5-man quest mobs. I got hit by an ice lance, and I suspect that it was because she was glyphed into it. In any case she immediately saw her mistake (I think that the deep, thrumming 'you have just been flagged' sound alerted her to it.) I turned and targeted her but before I could close out a global cool down and get in a key-press she had popped invisibility and left for greener pastures.

I was actually pleased by this. Not because she ran from the fight - but rather because she demonstrated situational awareness and an understanding of how to leverage her class mechanics effectively. I made no attempt to pursue or find her after that because I was so pleased to find someone who actually knew how to play their class. I expect that she was probably back under the safety of one of those lovely invisible shields that accompany each faction's quest givers in relatively short order.

Thunder Isle was designed specifically to provoke combat between the factions. Opening up Phase 2 will reveal this with even more clarity. I know that doesn't appeal to everyone, but it is the design intention. That is going to present the occasional challenge to those of you who are not interested in crossing swords with another player as the design intention of the zone comes into conflict with the PvE ruleset and the intractable nature of countless random humans actually playing the game.

While I can appreciate your frustration with this reality I would strongly encourage all of you experiencing this frustration to learn from the experience of the mage from my story.

Stop thinking like victims and start using your class mechanics, your environment, and your heads to overcome adversity. I can guarantee you it will produce better outcomes than whining and arguing on the forums will.
Edited by Malkavet on 3/8/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]