Elder Charms??

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Hunter
What's the deal with them now?? The quest no longer works (you can only get Mogu Charms), and I've heard that the only way to get the now is on the Isle of Thunder. How is this working exactly??
90 Blood Elf Priest
The Elder Charms apparently drop from mobs on the Isle of Thunder. I'm not so thrilled really, as I didn't want to rush right out there when everyone else was rushing right out there, but there's no other way to get Elder Charms now. I only raid in LFR, so I still have what, three weeks of raiding in the current LFR raids, but no dependable way to obtain Elder Charms to use in the raids I can access. This seems like it wasn't well thought out by the devs.
90 Draenei Death Knight
you can also get them in the solo scenario, when you get in there, the treasure you collect has a chance to give you elder charms too
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I agree with this, I got one from a chest, but I've killed over 100 mobs on the Isle since the servers went back up and haven't seen one drop. I have no idea why they didn't leave the Elder Charm quest when they put the Mogu one in. I still plan on getting Tier 14 (as I have not seen any yet) and it's gonna be a lot longer slog without Elder Charms to help out, even with the increased drop-rates. In regards to the scenario, isn't that a one time deal??
Edited by Faestira on 3/5/2013 5:06 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
It would have been more logical to leave the Elder Charm quest in, and just added the Mogu Runes in as well and let people choose which charms would be most beneficial to their own playstyle and schedule. We're locked out of the new LFR raids for weeks, but can only get the Mogu Runes of Fate which we can't use in the current LFR raids. What were they thinking?

Add to that, there's a limit of ten Runes that you can hold at a time. If we can get three per week, I'll be sitting on nine by the time the first wing of LFR opens up (assuming I'm right about it being three weeks until the first wing opens in LFR), and I'll only be able to use maybe three of them in the raid unless I want to run it over and over which isn't always my idea of a fun way to spend every evening in my week.

/boggle
Edited by Mystraele on 3/5/2013 5:19 PM PST
88 Draenei Mage
03/05/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Mystraele
The Elder Charms apparently drop from mobs on the Isle of Thunder.

Apparently this never went live. They only drop from chests and daily bags afaik.
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/05/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Rèquiem

Apparently this never went live. They only drop from chests and daily bags afaik.

Oh, even better! /sarcasmoff

Again I have to ask, what were they thinking?
90 Blood Elf Hunter
The patch is great and I've had a great time getting my Direhorn and the Isle of Thunder is gonna be a great quest hub, but this is terrible planning. There is no reason not to let people choose whether they get Elder or Mogu Charms for the week. Completely illogical.
88 Draenei Mage
Oh, even better! /sarcasmoffAgain I have to ask, what were they thinking?

Slowing down loot gathering and gear progression has been a major way of extending content life this expansion. Not horribly surprised to see it here.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
03/05/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Rèquiem

Slowing down loot gathering and gear progression has been a major way of extending content life this expansion. Not horribly surprised to see it here.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. They increased the drop rates of 5.0 LFR gear, yet they have made getting Elder Charms much harder. This is has nothing to do with the current patch, we are talking about making gear from the PREVIOUS patch harder to get, which has never, ever been the case.
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/05/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Rèquiem

Yes I understand that part, but with the one hand, they upped the drop rates for loot in the 5.0-5.1 raids so that gearing up alts (and finishing the gearing on mains as well I assume if that's needed for some who might not be ahead of the curve), and with the other hand, make it much harder to obtain Elder Charms for those raids?

In the words of the immortal Li Li "That...doesn't even make sense!"
90 Pandaren Shaman
Can you get more than 3 a week?
90 Blood Elf Priest
If they're drops from a chest or bag I'd imagine so, but not from the quest. The quest is a weekly one time thing, for three Charms (or Runes, as it is now).
Community Manager
Drop chances of gear in 5.0 raids have been increased substantially with 5.2, so even without the coins you have a much better chance of getting loot now than you did before even with a normal roll and a coin.

The chance of getting personal loot in Raid Finder and the chance of a successful bonus roll in Raid Finder have been greatly increased for the following raids, Mogu'shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of Endless Spring.

Also keep in mind the new 5.2 content isn't exclusive to people that have done all of the 5.0/5.1 content. It's tuned a little tougher but still someone can level to 90, jump straight to the Isle of Thunder, and start doing stuff on the island and finding Elder Charms. Even if you're still working on 5.0 raids, you should be looking to do some of the new 5.2 content.

The Elder Charms also drop fairly frequently on the isle.
Edited by Bashiok on 3/5/2013 5:45 PM PST
Community Manager
03/05/2013 05:36 PMPosted by Mystraele
and with the other hand, make it much harder to obtain Elder Charms for those raids?

Considering you can almost literally find them just laying around in chests on the island, I wouldn't say it's necessarily harder to obtain them. Getting 90 Lesser Charms to convert into 3 probably took more time than it'll take to find 3 on the island.
90 Human Hunter
I don't know how much of a greater chance of loot LFR offers. I did vaults today and got 3 sets of gold :/ Several people in raid chat were complaining about the same thing.
88 Draenei Mage
Drop chances of gear in 5.0 raids have been increased substantially with 5.2, so even without the coins you have a much better chance of getting loot now than you did before even with a normal roll and a coin.

Isn't the new chance 30% - so pretty much equal to a roll and a coin :) ?

Sorry to split hairs.

The Elder Charms also drop fairly frequently on the isle.

Can you clarify where exactly they drop? Some say chests and daily bags only. But I remember pre patch the devs were saying Failbags and mob drops too?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They drop all over the Isle.

They drop from Rare Elite mobs.
They come from Bounty rewards from the final Daily of each day.
They come from TONS of sources in the Troves of the Thunder King scenario.
They come from the chests around the island (Trove of the Thunder King object - not scenario).
They come from the three summonable Undead guys.

Guys/gals, I had maxed Grand Charms on my PTR toon for weeks and like 20 more stored up in unopened http://www.wowdb.com/items/94566-fortuitous-coffer . You're not going to have problems with this. It's easier to get them now than ever before.

Heck, just stand around at the graveyard spots for the summonables in the Court of Bones and attack the rares whenever they are summoned. They're a shared tag and they pretty much always drop Grand Charms. You could probably get 10 Grand Charms per 30 minutes with this method.
Edited by Simca on 3/5/2013 5:56 PM PST
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/05/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Bashiok
and with the other hand, make it much harder to obtain Elder Charms for those raids?

Considering you can almost literally find them just laying around in chests on the island, I wouldn't say it's necessarily harder to obtain them. Getting 90 Lesser Charms to convert into 3 probably took more time than it'll take to find 3 on the island.

Yeah, but before I could just turn it my quest from my giant stockpile of Lesser Charms without having to lift a finger again, now I have to jump into a sea of PvP! Haha!

But I think this was a good idea, it's a good way to help people who want to finish collecting the previous tier.
90 Blood Elf Mage
03/05/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Rèquiem

This seems to be the case which REALLY might be the "straw" that brakes the camel's back for me. Already already tired of doing a ton of dailies on my main & alt already. Thunder Isle is just more of the same we've had before. It reeks of Golden Lotus gating mechanism. Especially seeing as we can't do the first new LFR until next week. Again, Blizzard at it's finest not testing crap properly before they release it.

This needs to be hot fixed immediately. We had access to our Elder Charms last week. There was no reason to remove them this week.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]