Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I am posting this in the hopes that it will get a blue response or a fix, after being advised that posting in the BGs forum would not net results.

I have a blind friend that plays World of Warcraft. His character name is Refunki. You can see his armory here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malygos/Refunki/advanced

Another thread about problems for the blind here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7894179446

And his Youtube account, showing he is blind and playing WoW:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Refunkiisblind

For years now (since the beginning of Cata), we have used scripting commands and voiced emotes like /yell, /cheer and /roar to communicate with him and other players. We purchased a Vent server so he could talk with guildies. He has a macro that he sends to players in battlegrounds letting them know he is blind and how he will contribute to the battleground. He is consistently in the top half of DPS in random BGs when someone leads him to the fight. Playing World of Warcraft has been the first time since going blind that he has been able to play a video game, and it has brought him many friendships and immense satisfaction.

Breaking /follow in battlegrounds effectively prevents blind people from playing. He literally can no longer play and it has made him depressed. It is just one more way the world around him refuses to welcome him into doing regular things that all his friends do.

What's more, I am shocked that Blizzard, after touting the success of another blind player
(http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/guide-dog-player-and-guild-embrace-sightless-guildmate-steer/) would do something that would so fundamentally prevent a blind player from playing. I was encouraged that I could play with my friend for years to come.

Refunki is willing and able to provide documentation of his blindness, if only he can play again. Please don't punish him for the actions of others.

Edited to clarify.
Edited by Frigidaire on 3/5/2013 6:50 PM PST
100 Human Warlock
I don't think Blizz was thinking about blindness when they took out follow from BGs.

I'm sorry to hear about it. :(
90 Undead Warlock
not even understanding how you would play wow while blind
90 Blood Elf Warlock
......I'm pretty sure they didn't do this to stick it to the blind players.

What is the population of blind WoW players anyway? I'm sure they exist but comparing them to the rest of the games population? You kind of have to go with the players who can see and cheat. And try to fix their mistakes.
90 Draenei Mage
Darn, I hope they reinstate it for him and others then.
86 Tauren Paladin
To quote Star Trek.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Don't blame Blizzard, Blame the players who abused the system, Multi boxers, Botters, or just plain lazy sods not willing to earn their honor.
I'm hoping there is something they can do to make this right. Surely they wouldn't stop their famous blind player from playing. All I'm asking is that my friend get the same workaround.
90 Draenei Mage
I really don't see how /follow caused much of a problem anyways. Most bots have their own paths to follow, no?
100 Human Warlock
I really don't see how /follow caused much of a problem anyways. Most bots have their own paths to follow, no?

Multiboxers use follow to keep their characters together.
100 Draenei Hunter
First and foremost, I applaud your friend for playing the game. But you have to realize, that this was not something that probably even popped into the minds of the developers when they decided to take out the /follow command. It stinks for your friend, but in essence, it was to get rid of bots and multi-boxers whom are only facerolling through bg's to get points and to sell accounts (imo).

I am sorry this has happened to your friend, but it will be the reason that many other players who once played bg's but stopped, will join up again.

This was not intentionally done by Blizzard. I honestly do not think it is a discrimination issue, and oversight, yes, but intentional, No.

Will it be fixed in the future, that's up to Blizz.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Um... I know this would either sound ignorant or just plain offensive but I just want to know...
How? How does he plays it?
90 Dwarf Rogue
Wow - very impressive stuff! I'd like to hear how the Blizzard PR team handles this issue.
90 Human Warrior
Killing off Multi-Boxers is more important
This is not about botters, who should be penalized for breaking the rules. This is about someone who had not played a video game in years being suddenly unable to play (and use the rest of his subscription time, even!) because Blizzard chose to use an axe instead of a scalpel.
90 Night Elf Druid
How does he know follow is broke?

Why didn't you guys just cheer him on and go you are doing a great job like most good people who care about the blind?
Because he gets a response that "You cannot follow that unit." Multiple other people have posted about not being able to follow as well.
90 Night Elf Druid
Because he gets a response that "You cannot follow that unit." Multiple other people have posted about not being able to follow as well.

So he is cursed for not being deaf and blind.
85 Human Death Knight
FYI Azzeria Multiboxers don't play to sell accounts.
How does he know follow is broke?

Why didn't you guys just cheer him on and go you are doing a great job like most good people who care about the blind?

Because he plays, and he's honestly pretty good. He's amazing when you realize he's blind and is still doing a great job. The cheering on he gets from us is well-deserved. He has worked so hard on WoW and being able to play. He deserves the chance to play.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]