Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

87 Night Elf Druid
But they would only have to approve the 'few people'. So it would be a small task.

Great. The problem is this is a video game. Again I don't see Blizzard bending over backwards here for a very few people.

It would not be a small task because they would have to rewrite the game so that they could control who can use /follow.
So in addition to everyone else Blizzard has to do to support this game they need to do additional paperwork just so a couple blind people can play? Are you kidding me? Do you seriously not understand this is a video game? No not solved. Not even in the slightest. It isn't justifiable to anyone but the bleeding hearts and even they at some point reach their limit as well. Come on this is just getting stupid now. Show them the forms? Really?

I believe that there is SOME good left in this world, and I hope it will be used to accommodate people that would otherwise have a hard time. Come on, it would take on person like a day max to do it all.
100 Worgen Mage
I never said he had to be perfect, I said he has to be able to see. It's a visual game. You look at the monitor and decide what to do based on what you see. He can't look at the monitor (the most important part), so he pretty much can't play. And why would a blind person be parking in handicapped spaces? They aren't even supposed to be driving!

I have already posted pics and articles about other blind WOW players. I believe you have more trouble seeing than he does right now.

But here it is again for you.

http://wow.mmosite.com/updates/wow_touching_story_guildmates_help_a_blind_player_take_down_deathwing.shtml

Die Safe, a WoW guild from European server Chamber of Aspects, finally defeated Deathwing (Normal) this week. It is probably not a big deal for you, but for Hexu who played enhancement shaman in Die Safe, it did mean a lot, because he is blind.

The real name of Hexu is Ben-Jack Shaw. He is a retired UK soldier. During his service in Iraq, he was badly injured and lost both eyes in a roadside bomb attack in Basra. Ben was a WoW player as well as a member of Die Safe before he went to Iraq. Luckily, his playmates didn't abandon him after the incident.

Instead, they became Ben's eyes in WoW. Owen, a young Scottish player who played Davidian, the death knight in the guild, had volunteered to act as the "guide dog" for Ben. Wherever Hexu goes, Davidian is around. When moving, Ben will use the auto-follow function to follow Owen; when fighting, Ben will take advantage of "target of target" and other macro functions to fight together with Owen. Other guild members will also communicate with Ben via audio system, telling him what circumstance he is faced with so that Ben can play his way through the game. That's how Hexu took down Deathwing together with his teammates.

Playing WoW is not the only thing that shows Ben's strong will. Since the incident, he has embarked on many activities considered off limits to the visually impaired, some of which even have been reported by BBC. After receiving the rehealthy training in Scottish War Blinded (an organization established to help retired blind UK soldiers), Ben even learned how to drive a race car in the track

I submit that right now, you are the blind one here.
Edited by Zhenogre on 3/5/2013 9:31 PM PST
2 Tauren Shaman
I'm sure in a few weeks /follow will be back in bgs anyway.
So in addition to everyone else Blizzard has to do to support this game they need to do additional paperwork just so a couple blind people can play? Are you kidding me? Do you seriously not understand this is a video game? No not solved. Not even in the slightest. It isn't justifiable to anyone but the bleeding hearts and even they at some point reach their limit as well. Come on this is just getting stupid now. Show them the forms? Really?

I could see them not helping if it was a huge cost as you are right, there is not a huge blind playerbase.

However, if the cost is minimal, why try so hard to not want Blizzard to do something to help? People are automatically saying: "no no no", as if they really don't want to see Blizzard try to help, or even look at options, even though it won't affect anyone except Blizzard in the cost and programming department. This mentality is hard to comprehend actually that people are so quick to speak on behalf of a corperation against something that could help some people, reguardless of the number of people being helped.

If it doesn't raise your rates, chaneg yoru game or give an edge to a blind person, what is the harm in Blizzard at least looking at a cost acceptable solution?
100 Night Elf Mage
What, people have to be "perfect" now in order to enjoy this game? Would be willing to bet that this individual ( provided they're old enough and cogent enough to drive) parks in handicapped spaces. I wonder if they would think the same if they were struck blind by illness?

I never said he had to be perfect, I said he has to be able to see. It's a visual game. You look at the monitor and decide what to do based on what you see. He can't look at the monitor (the most important part), so he pretty much can't play. And why would a blind person be parking in handicapped spaces? They aren't even supposed to be driving!

Pretty sure the subject there changed a couple of times.

By "...willing to bet that this individual [...] parks in handicapped spaces," I'm pretty sure they were referring to the silly who's been posting rather inflammatory remarks regarding blind people.
Edited by Pounceykins on 3/5/2013 9:32 PM PST
87 Night Elf Druid

I believe that there is SOME good left in this world, and I hope it will be used to accommodate people that would otherwise have a hard time. Come on, it would take on person like a day max to do it all.

You obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
You do realize there are varying degrees of complexity right? Actually you know what...I'm out. You and a few others have made it quite clear none of you are going to think logically or reasonably until your friend is able to play again.

/cheer
I just hope Blizz is reading the OP and will make the right choice.
56 Blood Elf Death Knight
That player also relied heavily on /follow macros. Basically that player was doing what the OP was describing and breaking /follow in raids would have gimped him just as much.

Hmm. I'm kind of on the fence with this. I don't want Blizzard to break the game for the visually impaired but I'm not too stoked about multi-boxers either. I realize there is a different between botting and multi-boxing but both put a strain on other players, especially in PvP.
Because posts from a whiny worgen mage are so much more valid.

You said you were out...
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thanks for all of your help, everyone. Jarrod (Refunki) really appreciates how many people have spoken out in support of his cause. Hopefully we'll get a resolution on this soon.
100 Night Elf Mage

. . .

From the post the person replied to: "It is unnecessary complexity [. . .]".

You do realize there are varying degrees of complexity right? Actually you know what...I'm out. You and a few others have made it quite clear none of you are going to think logically or reasonably until your friend is able to play again.

Yeah...

See, I don't get the logic behind severely inhibiting someone's ability to play - though of course it was an unintentional side effect - when they haven't broken any rules, and then not trying to make it right.

I don't get the rationale behind actively trying to keep someone from playing a game they enjoy when it harms no one.
Edited by Pounceykins on 3/5/2013 9:41 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
Solution:

Rachey types /follow Frigidaire.
Frigidaire receives the following confirmation box: Would you like to allow Rachey to follow you?
Frigidaire clicks "Yes."
Rachey is now following Frigidaire.
I'm also getting off the forums now. Hope that this turns out the way I want it to.
i really don't normally care about the pleas of other players, but i do hope that you guys can figure something out if blizzard avoids the issue.
90 Undead Priest
Wow, this actually brought tears to my eyes, I really really hope blizzard can just undo this stupid thing they did. The cons obviously completely outweigh the pros.

Please blizzard show some kindness.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't get the rationale behind actively trying to keep someone from playing a game they enjoy when it harms no one.

/follow bots do harm people.

Removing /follow doesn't actively try to keep anyone from playing.
100 Troll Druid
Wow, this actually brought tears to my eyes, I really really hope blizzard can just undo this stupid thing they did. The cons obviously completely outweigh the pros.

Please blizzard show some kindness.

Thanks for your support, however I don't think that Blizzard did anything stupid Amarlovie! Really I'm sure that in the vast majority of cases this is an improvement.

I'd like a selective fix that keeps the intention of their change but allows our friend to play as he has. Blizzard will know if there's a huge requirement to fix this in a selective way.

Most of us probably have no clue. I imagine it would take some work, but it might be worth the good PR, or just something they want to do.

Then again it might be something that they would like to do but can't rationalize spending the resources on. That would suck for us, but if that's the response we get then I'd believe Blizzard.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]