Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

I'm also getting off the forums now. Hope that this turns out the way I want it to.

I could probably use some sleep too. Almost fell asleep while lying down in boredom.

Hell, I was about to go to bed, but then I decided, "Nah, I'll wait for my snugglefox to reply to my good night message, and browse forums in the meantime."

Glad I did. : D I got to show off my moderate knowledge of Star Trek movies. (And I should know, because for the past two months I've been doing nothing but watching Star Trek movies and the TNG series on Netflix, and playing Star Trek Online. I find it helps my motivation to play a game when what's on TV relates to the game. Hell, I've stayed up for whole nights playing WoW, with the Cata CE Behind-the-Scenes DVD playing over and over. Made it all the more awesome. ^^)
Glad you did too. Pouncey respek knuckles.

03/05/2013 09:45 PMPosted by Pounceykins
Glad I did. : D I got to show off my moderate knowledge of Star Trek movies.
90 Blood Elf Priest
The solution, as I posted on p10, is simple. Give /follow a confirmation box so it's voluntary from both sides. Won't stop multiboxers, but it should stop the bots.
03/05/2013 09:42 PMPosted by Ehcks
I don't get the rationale behind actively trying to keep someone from playing a game they enjoy when it harms no one.

/follow bots do harm people.

Removing /follow doesn't actively try to keep anyone from playing.

Actually, in that case, I switched what I was talking about to that level 1 Monk's efforts to dissuade people from seeking a potential compromise because he seems to believe that blind people shouldn't be playing videogames anyways.
Yeah...See, I don't get the logic behind severely inhibiting someone's ability to play - though of course it was an unintentional side effect - when they haven't broken any rules, and then not trying to make it right.I don't get the rationale behind trying to keep someone from playing a game they when it harms no one.

Great point actually, one many don't see apparently:

The player in the OP was using something allowed in game to play for however long they played. I've personally played with them many times in the past. They found out they were good at it and enjoyed it. Suddenly, the one thing they needed to play was taken away from them and now they cannot play. No warnings, no nothing. Log in and no longer can play the game. They are simply asking for some kind of fix to enable them to once again play the game Blizzard has offered to ALL PEOPLE campable of playing their game; such as the OP player that was capable in question; reguardless of his sight or lack of sight.

So many people and a few of the ones saying "no" in this thread would be on these forums in a heartbeat crying and complaining if their favorite toon was slightly nerfed. It would be game breaking to them, they'd threaten to quit, etc. The bile spewing forth over a game chaneg that affected THEM would be game breaking. We've all seen this each and every patch. Now ironically, some of these same players would be against a player whose whole game was broken over a mundane change.

Me thinks some people should reevaluate what a game is and what life is to be honest.

Untill Blizzard determines it's an impossible fix, or it's not cost effective, there is really no way anyone should be completely against the possibility of allowing a player to once again play this very game (that they proved they were capable of playing) unless they are just truely miserable people behind the screen.
Edited by Ookyou on 3/5/2013 9:52 PM PST
Glad you did too. Pouncey respek knuckles.

Glad I did. : D I got to show off my moderate knowledge of Star Trek movies.

I don't, um... I don't know what that means. So instead, hugs for everyone. : D

:: hugs everyone, because hugs are awesome and people who don't want hugs, just need more hugs ::
03/05/2013 09:49 PMPosted by Ookyou
Yeah...See, I don't get the logic behind severely inhibiting someone's ability to play - though of course it was an unintentional side effect - when they haven't broken any rules, and then not trying to make it right.I don't get the rationale behind trying to keep someone from playing a game they when it harms no one.

Great point actually, one many don't see apparently:

The player in the OP was using something allowed in game to play for however long they played. I've personally played with them many times in the past. They found out they were good at it and enjoyed it. Suddenly, the one thing they needed to play was taken away from them and now they cannot play. No warnings, no nothing. Log in and no longer can play the game. They are simply asking for some kind of fix to enable them to once again play the game Blizzard has offered to ALL PEOPLE campable of playing their game; such as the OP player that was capable in question; reguardless of his sight or lack of sight.

So many people and a few of the ones saying "no" in this thread would be on these forums in a heartbeat crying and complaining if their favorite toon was slightly nerfed. It would be game breaking to them, they'd threaten to quit, etc. The bile spewing forth over a game chaneg that affected THEM would be game breaking. We've all seen this each and every patch. Now ironically, some of these same players would be or are against a player whose whole game was broken over a mundane change.

Me thinks some people should reevaluate what a game is and what life is to be honest.

Untill Blizzard determines it's an impossible fix, or it's not cost effective, there is really no way anyone should be completely against the possibility of allowing a player to once again play this very game (that they proved they were capable of playing) unless they are just truely miserable people behind the screen.

Like I said, some people just need more hugs. Either because they deserve them, because they deserve them (because they hate them and I want them to suffer) or because hugs will cheer them up. ^^

Hugs are awesome.
Edited by Pounceykins on 3/5/2013 9:52 PM PST
90 Undead Warlock

As said already, the only reason my rage is being held in check is the Code of Conduct.

Please explain how it is possible for a blind person to PVP? He can't really fight anyone because HE CANT SEE. he can't heal anyone because HE CANT SEE their health bars. He can't quest because HE CANT SEE the mobs he has to kill or even the quest givers to get the quests in the first place, so please explain how it is possible for a blind player to play WOW?

Have you read the thread? There have been youtube links as well as several links to articles and blogs detailing blind people playing video games and WoW in general. Do you pay attention before posting?

Edit: On topic it would be cool to see some features developed to help the visually impaired play. Blizz would get some good press in doing it too since its not present in video games (for obvious reasons). Side note: Descriptive narration is used on TV and movies for visually impaired people, wouldn't work on an unscripted video game but goes to show things that are normally just "visual" aren't inaccessible.
Edited by Skree on 3/5/2013 9:58 PM PST
So he can't use /follow anymore. How about you and your friends guide him then? He cant communicate in vent yes?
screw u multi-boxers. we wont even tell u we're gonna screw u in patch notes we'll just let u find out when u q for a battlegroundd !!

i seriously hope they hot-fix this

if multi-boxing is that much of an issue you'd figure they'd come out and tell us without ninja-nerfing it without even mentioning it
90 Undead Warrior
I cancelled my 10 accounts and will ask for a refund for the last month. This just killed multiboxing. Bots will still be there. I'm not surprised by this. Blizzard likes suicidal decisions once in a while. Anyone remembers real id with real names?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/05/2013 09:47 PMPosted by Pounceykins

/follow bots do harm people.

Removing /follow doesn't actively try to keep anyone from playing.

Actually, in that case, I switched what I was talking about to that level 1 Monk's efforts to dissuade people from seeking a potential compromise because he seems to believe that blind people shouldn't be playing videogames anyways.

Oh, I did not see that. That's just sad.

The meaning of life is enjoying yourself, and if you already lost the ability to see, but you still found a way to have fun playing video games, go for it.

But WoW is better off without /follow in random BGs and LFR.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/05/2013 09:54 PMPosted by Waraoeu
This just killed multiboxing.

http://api.ning.com/files/XttGe4IuCKJHZZoNrCaxuw1Jpa8BT8nE0VnCN8tynA9asz9bhhIGnG3K64uqM3ZpQNSgJbZYvJP61yXHQN8CwHZEJSlAN3gI/GrumpyCatGOOD..jpg
Like I said, some people just need more hugs. Either because they deserve them, because they deserve them (because they hate them and I want them to suffer) or because hugs will cheer them up. ^^Hugs are awesome.

:)

Can we beat a few of em with a "common sense" stick first and then let you hug them? We could market them as "Tough Hugs: They hurt like Hell, but in the end, you and the World will be much better off after a good whacking!" :)
85 Goblin Death Knight
Blizzard actually gave out unique gear to a player and his in-game "guide dog." http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/26/guide-dog-player-and-sightless-guild-mate-honored-with-in-game/

There are a bunch of ways to prevent multiboxing or botting without destroying a vision impaired player's ability to play the game. Several have been mentioned in this thread. Blind Americans are a class specifically protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

It is against federal law to offer a service to the public which accomodates blind citizens and then to destroy that accomodation. If a restaurant accomodated wheelchairs it cannot reverse that accomodation, even unintentionally. The purpose of breaking /follow may not be to destroy this accomodation that is used by vision impaired players but that is absolutely irrelevant. Intent is irrelevant. What is relevant to federal law is that an important accomodation to a vision impaired player which existed for years has been destroyed.

This is a slam dunk ADA case. Blizzard is a potential defendant with billion dollar sized pockets. If I were a California attorney who specialized in disability cases, I would be salivating. Yes, lawyers are in general a bunch of unscrupulous lizards. But the ADA was expressly written for this situation.

Vision impaired citizens will *always* be a minority. It will almost always make zero economic sense to accomodate vision impaired citizens when ignoring them would be cheaper. This is why this law was created and passed. So that someone with a disability, who already has enough trouble in life thank you, has a passable chance of enjoying things that the non-disabled majority enjoys.
Edited by Smeeagain on 3/5/2013 10:01 PM PST
20 Pandaren Monk
I cancelled my 10 accounts and will ask for a refund for the last month. This just killed multiboxing. Bots will still be there. I'm not surprised by this. Blizzard likes suicidal decisions once in a while. Anyone remembers real id with real names?

10 boxing huh... my hat is off to you sir/mrs.
90 Dwarf Paladin
Blind players make up 0.000001% of the playerbase.

Why are they so entitled as to want their needs met, but not the other 99% who are sick and tired of multiboxers and bots?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I can't comprehend how a blind person could play this game... if they had to use the follow function to play then he should probably find a new game.. I don't want to be insensitive but this game is 90% being able to see fire, move out of it.. see a player go towards him.. a melee weaving thru u?? mouse turn.. if you are blind you can't do any of that.. and in EotS .. how would he know where the cliff to drop off and die is?? what happens if the person he is following dies? does he just stand there and spin in circles and slam random keys on the keyboard??

sorry, but if he plays then I am amazed and kudos to him. post a video or something, because I want to see this miracle.
So he can't use /follow anymore. How about you and your friends guide him then? He cant communicate in vent yes?

Guiding people with words, even when they can see, isn't always the easiest thing to do.

My mom plays WoW for example. Sometimes she is clueless as to where something is in the game. So by voice, I try to guide her. It ends up being, "Go right. Your other right. Not that far. Go back. Now go up those stairs."

And both of us can see her screen and what her character's doing on that screen. Without that omniscient information about the character's immediate surroundings and position, it would be a lot harder. I can't imagine a way to do it. Not to mention the delays due to the lag - I've played WoW with group members being next to me IRL with their computers, and there is a noticeable and significant delay between the time something happens on my screen and the time it happens on their screen. It's why when you're chasing a Demolisher through Strand of the Ancients, and you're a melee, and it looks like you're in the hit box, sometimes it constantly tells you you're out of range. It's because the delay causes the game to count your character as being behind where you see it as being.
Blind players make up 0.000001% of the playerbase.

I'm pretty sure idiots make up 30%-40% of the playerbase. Percentages are fun! Which one is more accurate though?

Don't mix up the meaning of entitled as well. There's a bit of a difference to someone playing with no game changes without harrassing anyone, to suddenly logging in to play and they now cannot. They are not asking for a massive overhaul, or a major change to the game. They would like the ability that allowed them to play to somehow be fixed or allowed for those that are blind.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]