Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Monk
Blind players make up 0.000001% of the playerbase.

Why are they so entitled as to want their needs met, but not the other 99% who are sick and tired of multiboxers and bots?

Because there are a myriad of suggestions on a lot of these pages/threads on the subject that offer - arguably - better solutions to the problem that wouldn't exclude an innocent demographic of the playerbase caught in the crossfire.
I cancelled my 10 accounts and will ask for a refund for the last month. This just killed multiboxing. Bots will still be there. I'm not surprised by this. Blizzard likes suicidal decisions once in a while. Anyone remembers real id with real names?

unsubscribed all my boxers accounts too

and i'm not paying for character xfers onto my main account

hopefully they fix this
does he just stand there and spin in circles and slam random keys on the keyboard??

He's blind, not a complete buffon idiot like many of the people on these forums are, that seem to just hit random keys on the keyboard and call them words.
Edited by Ookyou on 3/5/2013 10:10 PM PST
10 Dwarf Hunter

Why are they so entitled as to want their needs met, but not the other 99% who are sick and tired of multiboxers and bots?

The utter thoughtlessness and cruelty of people like you is just unbelievable.

I'm sure the effect of this change on blind players using this feature wasn't considered.

Let's hope Blizzard can do the right thing and come up with a solution that works appropriately for each type of player that uses /follow (bots, boxers, and the blind)
03/05/2013 09:57 PMPosted by Smeeagain
This is a slam dunk ADA case.

lol no its not, their are other ways to move about without /follow...
90 Night Elf Mage

Actually, in that case, I switched what I was talking about to that level 1 Monk's efforts to dissuade people from seeking a potential compromise because he seems to believe that blind people shouldn't be playing videogames anyways.

Oh, I did not see that. That's just sad.

The meaning of life is enjoying yourself, and if you already lost the ability to see, but you still found a way to have fun playing video games, go for it.

But WoW is better off without /follow in random BGs and LFR.

Yeah, I should've clarified. Sorry about that. :: hugs ::

03/05/2013 09:57 PMPosted by Ookyou
Like I said, some people just need more hugs. Either because they deserve them, because they deserve them (because they hate them and I want them to suffer) or because hugs will cheer them up. ^^Hugs are awesome.

:)

Can we beat a few of em with a "common sense" stick first and then let you hug them? We could market them as "Tough Hugs: They hurt like Hell, but in the end, you and the World will be much better off after a good whacking!" :)

Mmm, no.

The hugs will have to be sufficient.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I do hope that this is addressed in some manner.
90 Night Elf Mage
I can't comprehend how a blind person could play this game... if they had to use the follow function to play then he should probably find a new game.. I don't want to be insensitive but this game is 90% being able to see fire, move out of it.. see a player go towards him.. a melee weaving thru u?? mouse turn.. if you are blind you can't do any of that.. and in EotS .. how would he know where the cliff to drop off and die is?? what happens if the person he is following dies? does he just stand there and spin in circles and slam random keys on the keyboard??

sorry, but if he plays then I am amazed and kudos to him. post a video or something, because I want to see this miracle.

Videos have been posted in this very thread.

They want a solution that works for everyone, not just them.
I do hope that this is addressed in some manner.

What is there to address? A "Blue" has already said its working as intended. (not the part about blind players and all, but the /follow in BGs)
What is there to address? A "Blue" has already said its working as intended. (not the part about blind players and all, but the /follow in BGs)

Then they have not addressed it then have they? You know, they blind player part, the part that matters in this thread.
85 Goblin Death Knight
03/05/2013 10:10 PMPosted by Dokk
This is a slam dunk ADA case.

lol no its not, their are other ways to move about without /follow...

/Follow was an accomodation (whether intentionally placed there or not) used by the vision impaired to play the game. It's now destroyed.

It is absolutely a slam dunk that a deliberate act of destruction of an accomodating feature is a violation. The ADA protects accomodating features whether it is a wheelchair ramp or a piece of software. There isn't a feasible alternative to /follow for the vision impaired. It has been in the game for years and now it is gone.
03/05/2013 10:19 PMPosted by Ookyou

Then they have not addressed it then have they? You know, they blind player part, the part that matters in this thread.

Use vent, mumble, or team speak.

/Follow was an accomodation (whether intentionally placed there or not) used by the vision impaired to play the game. It's now destroyed.

It is absolutely a slam dunk that a deliberate act of destruction of an accomodating feature is a violation. The ADA protects accomodating features whether it is a wheelchair ramp or a piece of software. There isn't a feasible alternative to /follow for the vision impaired. It has been in the game for years and now it is gone.

Pleas fully read the ToA for World of Warcraft before pretending to be a lawyer.
Edited by Dokk on 3/5/2013 10:23 PM PST
63 Blood Elf Hunter
My condolences on the lose of the original position you held... Your situation is, however, a bit different in that depending on the organization you were employed with (as well as your line of work), you may have been eligible for sick leave, or disability retirement (if you could not recover), or have been given a post where you could preform the duties given to you... Point being, you knew what you signed on for when you took on your job vs the OP's blind friend, as well as the rest of us, who had no idea such a game breaking decision was being made behind our backs. And yes, given the circumstances of the OP's friend, the term Game Breaking IS appropriate.

Yes Game Breaking is quite an appropriate term for this and very few other folks and I really do feel for them. But you don't close the streets because a blind man lives in the city.

The feature was being exploited to achieve a ludicrous level of advantage and now that particular feature is gone. I just don't see follow termination as a bad thing when viewing the big picture. I'd rather see the people who exploited the feature removed but I also understand that that may be exponentially more difficult and really not solve the problem.

Beyond that the user agreement pretty much states that Bliz can change what ever when ever. So yes everyone does in fact know (or should know) what they've signed up for (no need to go into the whole visible script thing either).
90 Night Elf Mage

The utter thoughtlessness and cruelty of people like you is just unbelievable.

I'm sure the effect of this change on blind players using this feature wasn't considered.

Let's hope Blizzard can do the right thing and come up with a solution that works appropriately for each type of player that uses /follow (bots, boxers, and the blind)

I have a friend who I think would benefit from doing a /follow on me in BGs.

He's not blind, he's not a multi-boxer, and he doesn't bot. He just really doesn't enjoy PvP whatsoever, but he wants that pretty violet proto-drake. That proto-drake requires a controversial achievement which requires him to achieve PvP objectives in several different BGs. Because he doesn't PvP, he has no clue about the layout of the BGs or how to do those objectives. As a result, when I took him into Alterac Valley to cap a tower he got lost on our side of the map and ended up getting slaughtered by the Horde assault group.

If I'd thought to have him do a /follow on me, he might've stood a chance at getting to the towers without needing to learn the BG.

I suppose it doesn't matter. He's since given up entirely on getting that achievement done.

Point is, a /follow might've helped him. And if there was a confirmation yes/no on my end to let him follow me - as has been suggested as a potential compromise - that would've worked just fine if he wanted to try it again with some help in the future. ^^

Which has been addressed. The blind player is looking for a solution to allow players that need to /follow (for reason clearly described), to be able to use /follow, but not help botters or AFK'ers as well. His game was broken in a 12 hour period over a minor change. There is no reason for Blizzard to not address that issue and maybe come up with a solution that would benefit all players.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Props to Frigidare and the other guildies for helping refunki and I hope they reinstate so he can continue to get the enjoyment from the game.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
03/05/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Ookyou

Which has been addressed. The blind player is looking for a solution to allow players that need to /follow (for reason clearly described), to be able to use /follow, but not help botters or AFK'ers as well. His game was broken in a 12 hour period over a minor change. There is no reason for Blizzard to not address that issue and maybe come up with a solution that would benefit all players.

Have a player tell you which direction to move, instead of which character to follow.

Have a player tell you which direction to move, instead of which character to follow.

Log in and blindfold your eyes, no cheating! :) Now, have someone tell you where you live or over vent: "Go North, no South, no South East" and see where you end up. LOL I'm not trying to be mean here, but I imagine that is a major issue in a BG and voice directions.

Using /follow a fellow team mate made sure he got to the action, he then did the rest. I was his follow mate on at least two random BG's semi recently. It worked fine for our team.
Edited by Ookyou on 3/5/2013 10:32 PM PST
85 Goblin Death Knight
03/05/2013 10:21 PMPosted by Dokk
[quote]What is there to address? A "Blue" has already said its working as intended. (not the part about blind players and all, but the /follow in BGs)

Pleas fully read the ToA for World of Warcraft before pretending to be a lawyer.

I am a lawyer, so I actually have read it. Several times. A first-year law student attending night law school class knows that a contract (which is what a EULA or TOS is) provides absolutely no defense to a violation of federal law. While we're handing out reading assignments, why don't you go read the Americans with Disabilities Act, and I suggest you focus on Title III of that law.

Ask the PGA Tour, speaking of billion dollar industries, whether the ADA has any teeth. Casey Martin had previously consented to all kinds of rules about having to walk the course without the use of a golf cart. He sued under the ADA and was permitted to use a golf cart on the pro tour.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]