Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh no, all three of the blind people who play WoW can no longer play the game! What a tragedy!

Meanwhile, thousands of people who have spent hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dollars and enormous amounts of time to prepare multiboxed characters can no longer do what they love to do.

Which is more significant?
86 Tauren Paladin
One
03/06/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Herethebeef
Keeping to topic, multi-boxing has NOTHING to do with the case here. Screw multi-boxing. I'd put up with multi-boxing just so a blind man can do what he likes to do.

I was unaware that blind people could no longer log in due to this change. This is indeed an outrage.

Full of wit and originality.

/golfclaps
90 Pandaren Shaman
Oh no, all three of the blind people who play WoW can no longer play the game! What a tragedy!

Meanwhile, thousands of people who have spent hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dollars and enormous amounts of time to prepare multiboxed characters can no longer do what they love to do.

The former, people tend to be more sympathetic to people with disabilities than people with lots of money to burn and entitlement issues.
90 Tauren Warrior

I imagine blizzard has lost more customers over multiboxes ruining their experience than they will from blind people or people who quit over their manufactured outrage that blind people can no longer use /follow in BG's.

Besides, how INSULTING to blind people is it that by the removal of one command, that suddenly they are helpless babies that can no longer play the game.
90 Undead Death Knight
I am posting this in the hopes that it will get a blue response or a fix, after being advised that posting in the BGs forum would not net results.

I have a blind friend that plays World of Warcraft. His character name is Refunki. You can see his armory here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malygos/Refunki/advanced

Another thread about problems for the blind here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7894179446

And his Youtube account, showing he is blind and playing WoW:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Refunkiisblind

For years now (since the beginning of Cata), we have used scripting commands and voiced emotes like /yell, /cheer and /roar to communicate with him and other players. We purchased a Vent server so he could talk with guildies. He has a macro that he sends to players in battlegrounds letting them know he is blind and how he will contribute to the battleground. He is consistently in the top half of DPS in random BGs when someone leads him to the fight. Playing World of Warcraft has been the first time since going blind that he has been able to play a video game, and it has brought him many friendships and immense satisfaction.

Breaking /follow in battlegrounds effectively prevents blind people from playing. He literally can no longer play and it has made him depressed. It is just one more way the world around him refuses to welcome him into doing regular things that all his friends do.

What's more, I am shocked that Blizzard, after touting the success of another blind player
(http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/guide-dog-player-and-guild-embrace-sightless-guildmate-steer/) would do something that would so fundamentally prevent a blind player from playing. I was encouraged that I could play with my friend for years to come.

Refunki is willing and able to provide documentation of his blindness, if only he can play again. Please don't punish him for the actions of others.

Edited to clarify.

This is quite odd.

How do you play a video game when you're blind? Seriously.
86 Tauren Paladin
One

If you spent "thousands of dollars" to make a multiboxing setup, I have no sympathy.

On topic, I hope they revert this. It's impressive that your friend was able to play and contribute. Good luck convincing Blizzard otherwise though. They tend to go with "Got stung by a bee? Burn the forest down" approach.
90 Undead Warlock
I imagine blizzard has lost more customers over multiboxes ruining their experience than they will from blind people or people who quit over their manufactured outrage that blind people can no longer use /follow in BG's.

You have quite the imagination... people quit for many reasons, I can guarantee running into a boxer a few times a year is not one of them :)
90 Orc Warlock
How do most of you people live with yourselves? This thread is disgusting. I hate bots and I've never multi-boxed, but if I had to decide between allowing blind people to play or temporarily inconveniencing bots, I would put up with the bots without question.

That's beside the fact that this change will not effectively combat the issue of botting. Botters use what is available to them. So by taking this away they will simply use a different program that automates their path. The result being this solves nothing. Do any of you selfish clowns honestly think botters are going to discover this and say "AMG! Can't follow, game over!"? If you do, you're an idiot.

This ^

Chiming in with my support OP. Hopefully Blizzard will announce soon that while the change is intentional, the significant impact on blind players was not and that some sort of fix for blind players is in the works.
90 Tauren Warrior
03/06/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Shrimptoast

I was unaware that blind people could no longer log in due to this change. This is indeed an outrage.

Full of wit and originality.

/golfclaps

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

But its true. Blind people can still log in, and even do BG's after this change.
90 Blood Elf Monk
I hope they fix it for the multboxers and for people that get to have the unique experience of playing the game blind.
90 Tauren Warrior
03/06/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Jugaa

You have quite the imagination... people quit for many reasons, I can guarantee running into a boxer a few times a year is not one of them :)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6493569917

So, what do I get since you guaranteed that nobody has quit over a multiboxer? Btw, that took 5 seconds on Google to find.
90 Gnome Warrior
This is quite odd.

How do you play a video game when you're blind? Seriously.

An EU blind player got a Heroic (I believe) DS kill by using the /follow command and communication, etc.

The issue here is that the /follow command is being broken for PvP purposes but will still work within PvE environments. Plus there ARE posted work arounds to this.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I posted earlier in this thread, and there seem to be a lot of people who don't understand how a blind person can accomplish things..

I have a neice who is blind. She has been virtually bind since she was in high school. However you guys need to know that just because someone is blind doesn't mean that they become couch potatoes. They can go on and live life almost like normal people. Do they need aid with some things, yes. But can they function in life like most of us.. Absolutely.

My niece has 5 children, she does the laundry, cooks and her house is so clean you can literally eat off her floors. Her children do have chores, but the majority of the housework is completed by her. She also holds down a full time job as a medical transcriptionist.

She has a facebook page and communicates with her family, she rides bike with her children and husband. She takes the dogs for walks in the park, and walks to the grocery store and purchases what the house needs.

Just because you are blind, doesn't mean you cannot function. I applaud those who are blind and are able to play the game.

With all that said, do I think that /follow should be put back. No I don't. While this has impacted several people to the extreme, the negative effects of Bots and AFK'rs have effected more people. It has disintegrated their gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I have tons of empathy for the blind player, and I sincerely hope that some solution is found. But I don't want Blizzard to put /follow back into the game.

^ this. I totally agree with this. I know two blind people and used to personally care for another. Blind people are so resilient and can do just about everything that anyone else can do, sometimes BETTER than you. I'm sure there can be some way for this to be resolved for the player to be able to experience WoW again like before.

I don't personally have the talents for it, but someone somewhere should create an adon specifically for the blind to be able to function properly in the game without having to constantly rely on others (/follow for example) OR Blizzard should create a blind-friendly version of WoW with voice commands and whatnot implemented. Most BGs are mapped out pretty straight forward for the most part, and it would take nothing for a voice to let a player know when the player has changed direction (north, south, south-west, etc) and let them know when they're being attacked, whether it's by a player or npc + name... I mean, there is SO much you can do with that and it wouldn't take much, if any, extra effort for Blizzard to add a few re-writes into a program to add voices in every area. Given, this would take a lot of time and voice recordings, but I'm just throwing an idea out there.
90 Undead Warlock
So, what do I get since you guaranteed that nobody has quit over a multiboxer? Btw, that took 5 seconds on Google to find.

LOL one "I quit" thread, and if you look at his armory..it shows he didn't quit, otherwise it would show the character can no longer be displayed sign. Nice try though :)
90 Worgen Druid

Wow, really? Accommodating those blind players is definitely more important than removing the inconvenience of going up against multiboxers in a BG. Those blind players are paying money just like you do, and they deserve consideration. Blizzard likely did not realize how the removal of /follow in BGs would affect blind players, but now that they have been told they need to come up with a new way to tackle the problem of multiboxers without punishing those who depend on the feature. Have a friggin heart, I'm sure if you were unfortunate enough to lose your sight you would not be fighting so hard against accommodating them.
90 Tauren Warrior
03/06/2013 10:39 AMPosted by Jugaa

LOL one "I quit" thread, and if you look at his armory..it shows he didn't quit, otherwise it would show the character can no longer be displayed sign. Nice try though :)

I only had to show one since you GUARANTEED that a multiboxer is not a reason to quit over WoW.

I just checked a friends armory who let his sub run out. Can still check it.

But I can understand your cop out defense. Its hard on someone to be proven wrong.
Edited by Herethebeef on 3/6/2013 10:45 AM PST
2 Tauren Shaman
03/06/2013 10:39 AMPosted by Jugaa

lol at the title of that thread too. If he is going to link an example at least find one better. Hard to take a thread titled "sigh... multiboxers and bots make me quit again" serious.
90 Tauren Warrior
03/06/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Gnomekickèr

lol at the title of that thread too. If he is going to link an example at least find one better. Hard to take a thread titled "sigh... multiboxers and bots make me quit again" serious.

I find it hard to believe that you aren't just posting at yourself on an alt. A lvl 2 shaman that came and agreed with you? How convenient.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]