Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

87 Tauren Druid
Oh no, all three of the blind people who play WoW can no longer play the game! What a tragedy!

Meanwhile, thousands of people who have spent hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dollars and enormous amounts of time to prepare multiboxed characters can no longer do what they love to do.

Which is more significant?

Wow, really? Accommodating those blind players is definitely more important than removing the inconvenience of going up against multiboxers in a BG. Those blind players are paying money just like you do, and they deserve consideration. Blizzard likely did not realize how the removal of /follow in BGs would affect blind players, but now that they have been told they need to come up with a new way to tackle the problem of multiboxers without punishing those who depend on the feature. Have a friggin heart, I'm sure if you were unfortunate enough to lose your sight you would not be fighting so hard against accommodating them.
well said
90 Undead Warlock
I find it hard to believe that you aren't just posting at yourself on an alt. A lvl 2 shaman that came and agreed with you? How convenient.

Nope wasn't me. try ignoring me..and you will see :)

I only had to show one since you GUARANTEED that a multiboxer is not a reason to quit over WoW.

and the one you showed me didn't even quit...
Edited by Jugaa on 3/6/2013 10:50 AM PST
92 Human Mage
Oh no, all three of the blind people who play WoW can no longer play the game! What a tragedy!

Meanwhile, thousands of people who have spent hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dollars and enormous amounts of time to prepare multiboxed characters can no longer do what they love to do.

And here is the post that makes me change my mind completely. I care more about the blind guy not being able to play, then you being able to pwn a noob. Keep up the good work blizzard. Support you 100%
90 Pandaren Shaman
I have not played a BG since the update but before the update I said no to talking out /follow because in my view cheaters will find a way around it.

I like to follow random people time to time because it makes it easier to type in battleground chat.
90 Worgen Druid
And holy crap you guys take your sight for granted. I don't wish that those of you arguing against accommodation for blind people actually go blind, because it would be terrible to wish something like that on someone, but should any one of you one day go blind you'll be singing a different tune when you try to continue doing the things you love and you're confronted by people telling you, 'You're blind and we only care about people without physical disabilities, deal with it.' I highly doubt you would honestly want people to argue that you should quit just because you are blind, rather than having Blizzard take another look and work out a solution that allows you to keep playing. And when I say playing, I mean playing in a way that is fun and meaningful for you. This particular person loves to PvP, and they should able to meaningfully play that part of the game if they want to. The ability to log in and enter a battleground is pretty useless if you can't actually participate in the BG.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
This angers me very much. I had a co worker a few years ago who is blind, but he's a brilliant programmer. Looking at all that he had to overcome in addition to the challenges of being an amazing programmer (in the games industry no less) It was truly impressive. To see anything taken away from someone who has overcome such difficulty angers me to no end.

I am confident that once Blizzard realizes how this change has impacted blind gamers who love their game the change will be reverted. There are some very good hearted people at the top of the food chain at that company.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I will gladly suffer the occasional inconvenience and annoyance of a multiboxer if the blind can continue to play WoW.

It's a game, lets not let our pursuit of fun completely exclude other people from participating in even the most basic way.
90 Blood Elf Priest

Wow, really? Accommodating those blind players is definitely more important than removing the inconvenience of going up against multiboxers in a BG. Those blind players are paying money just like you do, and they deserve consideration. Blizzard likely did not realize how the removal of /follow in BGs would affect blind players, but now that they have been told they need to come up with a new way to tackle the problem of multiboxers without punishing those who depend on the feature. Have a friggin heart, I'm sure if you were unfortunate enough to lose your sight you would not be fighting so hard against accommodating them.

I'm sorry if an astronomically small minority of the playerbase is inconvenienced by a change that benefits a much larger portion of the playerbase. I'd be surprised of there were even a hundred blind players playing this game. How many people are affected by AFKers in battlegrounds? Everyone. Everyone has experienced it at one time or another.

So yes, really. I'm sorry if I don't apotheosize the handicapped.

And by the way, if I lost my sight, I'd find something new to do with my time. Something that is actually suitable for someone without the ability to see. This is a video game. You don't see deaf people complaining they can't listen to the radio, or people in wheelchairs complaining they can't football. Get a grip and face reality.
Edited by Vanarela on 3/6/2013 11:11 AM PST
88 Worgen Warrior
I have nothing against Blizz taking out /follow in BG's,RBG's, and Arenas. That being said, there should be a way to work out an exemption for any special needs cases. I'm just not sure how.
63 Blood Elf Hunter
Here's a thought.
Bring back follow.
Then use it to track the boxers (really not hard to do, just flag it).

Every time a boxer is confirmed simply Delete all the associated accounts permanently deny that IP address/addresses access to Bliz servers (also not hard I've seen it done on BGO on more than one occasion).

If the execution could be publicly announced as it happens that would be icing on the cake (maybe even a graphic for it).

Of course subscription rates may go up a tad to cover the overhead of the new employees but it would likely only be a couple of bucks.

if your using it legitimately and free of exploit your good. If your using it to solo Zerg well, unless you buy some new hardware and reroll your pretty much hosed.
Edited by Arcurex on 3/6/2013 11:18 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
Here's a thought.
Bring back follow.

Every time a boxer is confirmed simply Delete all the associated accounts permanently deny that IP address/addresses access to Bliz servers (also not hard I've seen it done on BGO on more than one occasion).

If the execution could be publicly announced as it happens that would be icing on the cake (maybe even a graphic for it).

Of course subscription rates may go up a tad to cover the overhead of the new employees but it would likely only be a couple of bucks.

if your using it legitimately and free of exploit your good. If your using it to solo Zerg well, unless you buy some new hardware and reroll your pretty much hosed.

I don't think the change was intended to stop multiboxers. Cutting multiboxers out was a side effect. No, I think the change was a measure put into place to stop players from following someone and going AFK in a battleground. Multiboxers actually contribute to a battle. AFKers do not. Multiboxing is still considered to be a legitimate playstyle by Blizzard.
91 Human Mage
i hope they can do something for him..
maybe they will..
something that they can access that allows them to keep playing like they have..
it would really be cool of them if they could find a way for cases like this..

i hope they do something..it would suck to all of a sudden be shut down like that..in that way..
90 Troll Druid
Here's a thought.
Bring back follow.

Yah because such drastic action is taken again Botters, who for the most part go un detected, so we should just put every boxer on the chopping box because their easier to identifiy.

Its funny how off topic this thread has become. Started at blind people and has moved toward F* the Boxers.
90 Gnome Warrior
I'd find something new to do with my time. Something that is actually suitable for someone without the ability to see. This is a video game. You don't see deaf people complaining they can't listen to the radio, or people in wheelchairs complaining they can't football. Get a grip and face reality.

Frankly, the same can be said for all the rage posting, potentially quitting Multi-boxers.
90 Draenei Shaman
Blizzard please fix this,
Honestly saddens me that a company I pay money to would continue or condone after knowing full well that this affects its disable player base in this way.

Hotfix this change,
63 Blood Elf Hunter
I don't think the change was intended to stop multiboxers. Cutting multiboxers out was a side effect. No, I think the change was a measure put into place to stop players from following someone and going AFK in a battleground. Multiboxers actually contribute to a battle. AFKers do not. Multiboxing is still considered to be a legitimate playstyle by Blizzard

That's cool.
Include AFK/follow as an exploit.

I suspect Bliz was a bit more miffed with boxers than they were letting on especially when the boxers started flaunting their "cleverness". Posting multibox how to s on You Tube for example. Then when ya see 4 or 5 box clones dancing over a dead solo tune (like that was some major victory) is pretty weak.

I could be completely off base here. But I sort of have a suspicion that the guys at Bliz took a look at theses lil gems and figured they have had enough.
Edited by Arcurex on 3/6/2013 11:39 AM PST
63 Blood Elf Hunter
Yah because such drastic action is taken again Botters, who for the most part go un detected, so we should just put every boxer on the chopping box because their easier to identifiy.Its funny how off topic this thread has become. Started at blind people and has moved toward F* the Boxers

Nail the botters too. No need to go half way.

Clean house.

Oh I'm sorry. Then all the blind folks can continue to play WOW.
Edited by Arcurex on 3/6/2013 11:43 AM PST
90 Worgen Hunter
I am not sure where this thread has gone over 19 pages. I have read the first three and the last two but I wish to add my thoughts in to it anyway.

While I do not wish to sound self important, I do want to point out that I do think my points are important to express. I say this as a man who is blind in one eye and half blind in the other.

While not in the same position as to OP I can completely understand the situation. Some people have asked me why I struggle top do things in this game and I tell them that they are fun for me, so I do them, right up until they are no longer fun, then I take a break and cheat at Skyrim.

While I completely understand that it sucks to have your ability to play something removed, I also understand that sometimes you do have to know your limits. My limits are on boss fights where the ground poop and other mechanics become too much the bear while still managing to do my job. (For some reason green poop is near impossible for me, and searching the screen for little things to click is time consuming).

Anyway, what I am saying is this, the player found a work around for this in the first place, and with dedicated friends, I think they can again. I once was in a guild where they were very understanding of my situation and tried really hard to help me out and feel a part of things. I am unable to find that, but I do hope this person is able to find, and by the sounds of does, have a group that is willing to help.

Sometimes it is on our initiative that we must find solutions to our problems rather than rely on Blizzard to make it fully accessible. LFR is the solution for me. Mechanics seem less important to the point of trivial, which is just fine for me, cause it means I get to do these things now. In the case of the subject of this post, possibly some audio commands from the game or from vent might help. A script that is a go to script might help, though that borders on automation.... but come on, knowing this player bl;iz can likely not be jerky about enforcing some rules as long as they do not exploit.

I hope for a solution to this player's issue, but would not want to see something like this reversed for such a tiny population. What nmakes people like this special is their ability to perservere and to overcome challenges, not their ability to complain until something is given to them.
19 Dwarf Monk
I'm not reading the rest of the thread, but I hope your friend finds a way to play again. This will also have turned into a multiboxing post if it hasn't already. On subject though, maybe you could find someone who's good with addons to help him out? I'm sure at least a few AddOn experts would be willing to whip somethin' up for him, or at least try.
90 Pandaren Monk
AFKers, multiboxers, and bots have ruined the game for him unfortunately... Blizzard would not have done this if it hadn't been for the afker/boxer/botting problem in BGs. I hope blizzard is able to work something out for him he sounds like a great guy. Good luck.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]