Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Human Death Knight
Here's a thought.
Bring back follow.
Then use it to track the boxers (really not hard to do, just flag it).

Every time a boxer is confirmed simply Delete all the associated accounts permanently deny that IP address/addresses access to Bliz servers (also not hard I've seen it done on BGO on more than one occasion).

If the execution could be publicly announced as it happens that would be icing on the cake (maybe even a graphic for it).

Of course subscription rates may go up a tad to cover the overhead of the new employees but it would likely only be a couple of bucks.

if your using it legitimately and free of exploit your good. If your using it to solo Zerg well, unless you buy some new hardware and reroll your pretty much hosed.

Do you have any idea how many people buy RAF accounts and put themselves on follow and stuff? bgs or not its a big selling point for extra accounts.
90 Tauren Death Knight
I am posting this in the hopes that it will get a blue response or a fix, after being advised that posting in the BGs forum would not net results.

I have a blind friend that plays World of Warcraft. His character name is Refunki. You can see his armory here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malygos/Refunki/advanced

Another thread about problems for the blind here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7894179446

And his Youtube account, showing he is blind and playing WoW:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Refunkiisblind

For years now (since the beginning of Cata), we have used scripting commands and voiced emotes like /yell, /cheer and /roar to communicate with him and other players. We purchased a Vent server so he could talk with guildies. He has a macro that he sends to players in battlegrounds letting them know he is blind and how he will contribute to the battleground. He is consistently in the top half of DPS in random BGs when someone leads him to the fight. Playing World of Warcraft has been the first time since going blind that he has been able to play a video game, and it has brought him many friendships and immense satisfaction.

Breaking /follow in battlegrounds effectively prevents blind people from playing. He literally can no longer play and it has made him depressed. It is just one more way the world around him refuses to welcome him into doing regular things that all his friends do.

What's more, I am shocked that Blizzard, after touting the success of another blind player
(http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/guide-dog-player-and-guild-embrace-sightless-guildmate-steer/) would do something that would so fundamentally prevent a blind player from playing. I was encouraged that I could play with my friend for years to come.

Refunki is willing and able to provide documentation of his blindness, if only he can play again. Please don't punish him for the actions of others.

Edited to clarify.

Im not blizzard But I do Imagine if he can provide them documantaion they would A set it up where He could again Maybe a different client or something idk. And B. Allow other people with same condition to do the same.
Although I doubt there are a ton of blind people that play wow. Im sure there are a few. And if a true case is presented to a company. They will usually act in accordance with the federal laws which are in place. Not to mention. The laws that could be made.
My suggestion. Write Blizzard a Email. Allow him to send documantation that way. And see if they can do anything for him. If not. Then I would come to the forums. And inform the community.
63 Blood Elf Hunter
Do you have any idea how many people buy RAF accounts and put themselves on follow and stuff? bgs or not its a big selling point for extra accounts

Apparently not enough to keep follow around.

Pretty sure Bliz looked at the bottom line first.
Edited by Arcurex on 3/6/2013 11:52 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
I think you guys are missing the point of Spock's line.

At the end of The Search for Spock Kirk explains to him 'because the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many', because humanity and friendship is more important than logic sometimes

Because Kirk is a badass, and apparently a lot of you aren't.
100 Night Elf Rogue
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Clearly, some people ITT never watched all the Star Trek movies.

The above quote is what Spock said to Kirk towards the end of Wrath of Khan.

In the following movie, The Search for Spock, the quote is reversed:

Spock: Why would you do this?

Kirk: Because the needs of the one... outweigh the needs of the many.

So yah, don't use Star Trek quotes to justify this. That logic can be turned right around.
63 Blood Elf Hunter
I suspect that while some are legitimate supporters of the visually challenged WOW players (and I do feel for their plight).

Quite a few here are pleading the case of the disabled because they want their hack back. It wouldn't be the first time a tragedy was used to achieve a political agenda.

Of course I can't and have no desire to prove it. But it's suspect all the same.
Edited by Arcurex on 3/6/2013 12:08 PM PST
90 Worgen Hunter
I'm just thinking around the problem here for a moment, but maybe something like below:

There's a strong Add-on community in WoW. I'm wondering if an addon couldn't do something like the Range Finder in DBM but have tied to a specific command (i.e. /focus Saiphae, then /modfinder) This would create a TomTom like arrow and perhaps directions ("Saiphae is heading 40 degrees to the right") that were spoken commands.

It obviously wouldn't control the character (to prevent botting), just give audible cues to them. Sadly my LUA in general and my WoW addon specifically isn't good enough to come up with something like this, but I'm sure there is someone out there that could. If they would be willing to work with the OP and their friend this could become a solution to the problem, and the coder would have an amazing bit of text to put in any resume they might want to write up, as many companies I know would look at someone who was willing to take time out of their day to code a program to help someone with a disability as someone to have on the payroll.

I'm sure if you put some feelers out in the add-on forums, someone will bite, or at least be able to tell you if I'm completely nuts, and it cannot be done. Either way I wish you and your friend luck.
83 Undead Priest
Since you have vent...do what people do to me IRL.

"Go left...turn right...go straight AWSOME..."

Seeing Eye Players =)
90 Blood Elf Priest

At the end of The Search for Spock Kirk explains to him 'because the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many', because humanity and friendship is more important than logic sometimes

To cast aside logic and rational thought for any reason is to fail the human race completely and utterly.

Anti-intellectualism can rot in a festering pit.
This is like saying because my friend has no arms all guitars should be designed with the option in mind of being able to play with your feet.

@multiboxers: SAYONARA!
100 Night Elf Rogue
To cast aside logic and rational thought for any reason is to fail the human race completely and utterly.

That's an interesting philosophy.

My rebuttal, one shared by many of my married friends, is that if we never abandoned logic and rational thought for the sake of human emotion, nobody would ever get married and have children, resulting in the complete and utter extinction of the human race.

Just saying...
6 Pandaren Monk
20 Pages and still no blue response, pathetic.
90 Goblin Shaman
And holy crap you guys take your sight for granted. I don't wish that those of you arguing against accommodation for blind people actually go blind, because it would be terrible to wish something like that on someone, but should any one of you one day go blind you'll be singing a different tune when you try to continue doing the things you love and you're confronted by people telling you, 'You're blind and we only care about people without physical disabilities, deal with it.' I highly doubt you would honestly want people to argue that you should quit just because you are blind, rather than having Blizzard take another look and work out a solution that allows you to keep playing. And when I say playing, I mean playing in a way that is fun and meaningful for you. This particular person loves to PvP, and they should able to meaningfully play that part of the game if they want to. The ability to log in and enter a battleground is pretty useless if you can't actually participate in the BG.

oK 10/10 for the dumbest/ most point-less subject I have ever seen on the wow forums.

Oh, sorry for someone with a disability, thats life, get a helmet!

And you that I quoted, you are among the worst! How insulting can you be to a random warm body without any good reason? very insulting! Please don't multiply!

Blind people can't play wow? Good! Maybe they will have more time to sue Sony or Bose cause they will not make a radio for the deaf.
100 Human Mage

Anti-intellectualism can rot in a festering pit.

To cast aside humanity for the sake of cold numbers is to forsake our nature and humanity. If we all went about with the "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few mentality" we wpuld live in hell on earth.

There would be no handicap access anywhere. There would be no assistance for natural disaster victims. No help for hungry children.... etc.

You are all free to go live in the community you seem to think would be great, I hear the more war-torn parts of Africa fit the bill.

How many of the people going on about this would be unable to play if WoW banned addons like DBM and healbot? I bet quite a few of you... Then i guess it might matter once it hits home, then maybe you'd care a bit more about the needs of the few....

Lacking empathy doesn't make you a superior human, it makes you a sociopathic one.
100 Night Elf Rogue
03/05/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Xanzül
Wow - very impressive stuff! I'd like to hear how the Blizzard PR team handles this issue.

There is nothing to handle. Just as multboxers are a niche play style so is blind people playing the game. Blizzard can't support everyone's style of play and certainly not to the detriment of the entire community.

This. Sad when ppl try to use others disability to try to get their multiboxing back, really sad.
100 Human Mage
03/06/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Luxxinterior
And holy crap you guys take your sight for granted. I don't wish that those of you arguing against accommodation for blind people actually go blind, because it would be terrible to wish something like that on someone, but should any one of you one day go blind you'll be singing a different tune when you try to continue doing the things you love and you're confronted by people telling you, 'You're blind and we only care about people without physical disabilities, deal with it.' I highly doubt you would honestly want people to argue that you should quit just because you are blind, rather than having Blizzard take another look and work out a solution that allows you to keep playing. And when I say playing, I mean playing in a way that is fun and meaningful for you. This particular person loves to PvP, and they should able to meaningfully play that part of the game if they want to. The ability to log in and enter a battleground is pretty useless if you can't actually participate in the BG.

oK 10/10 for the dumbest/ most point-less subject I have ever seen on the wow forums.

Oh, sorry for someone with a disability, thats life, get a helmet!

And you that I quoted, you are among the worst! How insulting can you be to a random warm body without any good reason? very insulting! Please don't multiply!

Blind people can't play wow? Good! Maybe they will have more time to sue Sony or Bose cause they will not make a radio for the deaf.

Case in point.....
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/06/2013 12:15 PMPosted by Dulcairrion

That's an interesting philosophy.

My rebuttal, one shared by many of my married friends, is that if we never abandoned logic and rational thought for the sake of human emotion, nobody would ever get married and have children, resulting in the complete and utter extinction of the human race.

Just saying...

Being intelligent and rational means you can't get married and hace children? Really?

Treading the world completely alone is just as irrational as sacrificing everything to find a partner. I never said you couldn't have feelings or express emotion, but those things should never get in the way of the brain's activities. Ever.
90 Undead Mage
It's amazing your friend is able to enjoy this game with his friends. I remember volunteering at the local deaf and blind school and watching the blind children play "beeper ball". It was quite amazing.

I hope blizz will make accommodations for your friend and others like him, so they can continue to enjoy this game.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]