Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Troll Warlock
I sincerely hope that something is put in place for your friend. I think its great he's overcome his lack of sight. /follow command was pulled because of boxers. I for one would have no problem having it put back in game and letting all the boxers have at it.

I'm thinking that the /follow command could be revamped where one player has to request that you follow them. To stop a boxer, one toon can only have one toon following him or be following someone else. In this way the max capacity is always one. This will stop boxers from also daisy chaining toons similar to a chain gang.
90 Pandaren Mage
I sincerely hope that something is put in place for your friend. I think its great he's overcome his lack of sight. /follow command was pulled because of boxers. I for one would have no problem having it put back in game and letting all the boxers have at it.

I'm thinking that the /follow command could be revamped where one player has to request that you follow them. To stop a boxer, one toon can only have one toon following him or be following someone else. In this way the max capacity is always one. This will stop boxers from also daisy chaining toons similar to a chain gang.

It wasn't taken out for boxers. It was taken out for bots, and AFKers.

Blizzard doesn't have any stance on the state of multiboxxing, period.
90 Pandaren Monk
This thread made me sad to read.

Sorry, Refunki. :(
90 Blood Elf Mage
I am not being mean or rude....but how does one even play wow blind? How can he see to use the right spells or even fight for that matter. I know vision impaired people use braille keyboards and there are writing programs that speak what you type, but please explain to me how one that is blind can possible play wow or for that matter even be good at it.
90 Gnome Death Knight
it was a common saying b4 the wrath of khan
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I am not being mean or rude....but how does one even play wow blind? How can he see to use the right spells or even fight for that matter. I know vision impaired people use braille keyboards and there are writing programs that speak what you type, but please explain to me how one that is blind can possible play wow or for that matter even be good at it.

I think that you don't have to be "good" at something to enjoy doing it.

He has memorized his keyboard and what his spells do; each patch that modifies his class provides challenges as he works out his rotation and reactions again, the same as with any other player.

If you want to see him play, you can look at the youtube links I provided in the first post.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Your friend is a very unusual case.I seriously doubt that Blizz has very many subscribers who are blind and let alone play PvP.I am sure they did not even consider this an issue.I think they removed the /follow in PvP to end Bots/Multiboxers/People just being lazy and going afk.Sorry to hear your friend can't play PvP anymore but maybe your friend could move on and try raiding.Your the first person i have seen who actually has a legitimate reason to want the command other then butt hurt mutiboxers who can't play the game without a ridiculous advantage over the community.Blizz has a lot of people to please unfortunately they can't please everyone.
61 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/06/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Frigidaire

He has memorized his keyboard and what his spells do; each patch that modifies his class provides challenges as he works out his rotation and reactions again, the same as with any other player.

If you want to see him play, you can look at the youtube links I provided in the first post.

Believe it or not, I'm actually quite the hopeful person despite my trolling on these forums sometimes. Believe me, you jerks deserved it -_- anyhoot I think it's awesome that your friend is able to enjoy something that he can't see especially a video game, and I watched the videos, and I think it's awesome.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/05/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Frigidaire
Breaking /follow in battlegrounds effectively prevents blind people from playing. He literally can no longer play and it has made him depressed.

Is his numlock key broken? I think we can still autorun...
Edited by Aetheron on 3/6/2013 2:50 PM PST
90 Undead Rogue
I am posting this in the hopes that it will get a blue response or a fix, after being advised that posting in the BGs forum would not net results.

I have a blind friend that plays World of Warcraft. His character name is Refunki. You can see his armory here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malygos/Refunki/advanced

Another thread about problems for the blind here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7894179446

And his Youtube account, showing he is blind and playing WoW:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Refunkiisblind

For years now (since the beginning of Cata), we have used scripting commands and voiced emotes like /yell, /cheer and /roar to communicate with him and other players. We purchased a Vent server so he could talk with guildies. He has a macro that he sends to players in battlegrounds letting them know he is blind and how he will contribute to the battleground. He is consistently in the top half of DPS in random BGs when someone leads him to the fight. Playing World of Warcraft has been the first time since going blind that he has been able to play a video game, and it has brought him many friendships and immense satisfaction.

Breaking /follow in battlegrounds effectively prevents blind people from playing. He literally can no longer play and it has made him depressed. It is just one more way the world around him refuses to welcome him into doing regular things that all his friends do.

What's more, I am shocked that Blizzard, after touting the success of another blind player
(http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/guide-dog-player-and-guild-embrace-sightless-guildmate-steer/) would do something that would so fundamentally prevent a blind player from playing. I was encouraged that I could play with my friend for years to come.

Refunki is willing and able to provide documentation of his blindness, if only he can play again. Please don't punish him for the actions of others.

Edited to clarify.

A blind player? that's pretty awesome imo

Reminds me of a blind Samurai.
90 Troll Druid
03/06/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Aetheron
Breaking /follow in battlegrounds effectively prevents blind people from playing. He literally can no longer play and it has made him depressed.

I'm pretty sure from watching his videos he triggers follow so that he can face his target because you can see him casting the wrong direction but the shaman is kiting the guy into his face and he toggles /follow
Edited by Rockerr on 3/6/2013 2:54 PM PST
61 Blood Elf Death Knight

Just....go away.
90 Goblin Shaman
A lot of responses here are pretty sad, though expected I suppose. I'm glad I retain empathy for others, even after having learned the hard way to be more suspicious than I once was. The /follow situation doesn't affect me in any way, but I feel bad for this person and I would like to see him able to continue doing something he enjoys. He surely does more in BGs than a lot of people who spend the entire time trash talking everyone else in chat.

Just like real-life... they need some sort of guidance.

But really... I just don't understand some people. No wonder this community has been getting worse and worse.

You say he should try raiding even if the OP clearly states he enjoys pvp... so because blizzard is lazy and can't find a real solution for the botting issue (and those that believe multiboxing it's an issue... just... lol), he has to be forced to do something else? Just because the devs are too lazy?

The sad thing is that I'm not surprised anymore...
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

I made an entire thread just to address that mistaken assumption:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8156055761
90 Undead Rogue
03/06/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Midare

Just like real-life... they need some sort of guidance.

But really... I just don't understand some people. No wonder this community has been getting worse and worse.

You say he should try raiding even if the OP clearly states he enjoys pvp... so because blizzard is lazy and can't find a real solution for the botting issue (and those that believe multiboxing it's an issue... just... lol), he has to be forced to do something else? Just because the devs are too lazy?

The sad thing is that I'm not surprised anymore...

It surprised me that a blind person do pvp so well big props to him.
90 Blood Elf Mage
03/06/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Temporarilý

Believe it or not, I'm actually quite the hopeful person despite my trolling on these forums sometimes. Believe me, you jerks deserved it -_- anyhoot I think it's awesome that your friend is able to enjoy something that he can't see especially a video game, and I watched the videos, and I think it's awesome.

Okay great he can adjust but how does he know WHO to target... and I am glad that he found something he enjoys you just can't expect Blizz to be able to cater to the seeing impaired.... that is like making a rock concert hearing impaired friendly. I have a grandmother who is deaf and she can "feel" music but that is about it, to ask a VISUAL product to be sight impaired friendly is a bit much. He may just need to adjust the way he plays again. Again not trying to be mean or a Btch just being realistic
90 Gnome Warlock
To quote Star Trek.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Don't blame Blizzard, Blame the players who abused the system, Multi boxers, Botters, or just plain lazy sods not willing to earn their honor.
62 Night Elf Death Knight
Wow, a blind person playing WoW? That's impressive. I hope they do something to fix his BG problem! You have my support √
+Liked
Edited by Angerine on 3/6/2013 3:05 PM PST
63 Tauren Death Knight
i said it before and i'll say it again

this isn't discrimnation. i lol'd at that. this is actually sadly though just collateral damage. for one i have no idea that a blind person played and for that i give him props but u need to look at this from a business perspective. this is one of those needs of the many over the needs of the few. what ur asking for is special treatment. sad to say blizz isn't gonna compensate ur friend here. if they did that then they have to apply this for deaf people and any other handicapped person to play. no offense but ur friend is gonna have to adjust or stop playing. i'm just being realistic here.

this is from another thread i posted in. i'm not being mean. i'm being realistic
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]