Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Orc Death Knight
03/06/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Snowfox
Also waiting for a blue post on this

Not being snide here, but what exactly is the question?

Is it if they intended to affect multiboxers?

There have been a lot of new topics about this, ignoring the boxing issue (even though I have no issue with boxing) If you have to go afk during a bg, to answer the phone, go to the door whetever, following someone is far more helpful to your team, for getting to nodes or whatever, than standing in one spot and being kicked for being afk and having to sit through a 15min debuff.
This change was not in the patch notes, no warning was given at all.
90 Pandaren Monk

We tried PvE before PvP: as it happens, standing in the fire is a big problem. It was discouraging for him to not be able to contribute because he died in the first part of the boss fight. Plenty of bosses even in 5-mans have follow-breaking mechanics (Lilian Voss, for example.) Heart of Fear? No way.

PvP allows him to target individual players, and if a Death and Decay gets planted under him, it's not going to kill him.

I'm just happy he's able to play the game, and he's happy doing so. It makes me happy. I like seeing people happy :)

Exactly, he shouldn't let this bump in the road get him down. If /follow doesn't come back, hopefully he can find a way to continue playing the game he enjoys.
63 Tauren Death Knight

if that can be pulled off in raiding. theres gonna be some points where one or the other could die and thus make the follower a dead in the water toon. cuz what happens if say on garalon. the follow feature won't prevent u from ending up under garalon especially if ur a melee dps

You realize if the person he is following dies, they can simply tell him and he can go from there ? If need be and able, life grip him away so he has room to do so, perhaps follow a different friend. They are in audio communication. There are way to strategize and work around issues all the time, it just takes planing ahead and thinking of what you got. You come off as a very negative person.

lol for someone who doesn't raid except raid finder u don't really understand whats goin on here. thats a major handicap. everyone at some points has to break off and handle stuff. unless hes a healer (which would be real interesting to see a blind healer play) to be a dps and can only run on /follow u might wanna think more into ur statement a bit dude lol. u can think of me how u want. idc i'm being realistic.
61 Blood Elf Death Knight

I'm just happy he's able to play the game, and he's happy doing so. It makes me happy. I like seeing people happy :)

Exactly, he shouldn't let this bump in the road get him down. If /follow doesn't come back, hopefully he can find a way to continue playing the game he enjoys.

I hope so because I enjoyed watching him play :)
100 Gnome Mage

Refunki would also like to pass along his gratitude to those who have defended his cause and come to his defense. It really makes his day when someone makes the effort to play with him; he knows it's not easy all the time, but every time it happens he is incredibly grateful.

I am inspired by both Refunki and his guild...and I really, really hope this gets blizzards attention. You are also to be commended for bringing this to the WoW forums where you knew you'd get so many troll responses and still being polite and gracious. You are doing a great thing here.

A community is defined by how it looks out for even the smallest minorities of its members. Its true there aren't that many blind people playing WoW, but if even one blind person gets enjoyment from it then to me its more than worth it. Please give my best to Refunki, I hope I have the pleasure of meeting him in a BG one day!

To everyone else: Whether or not this persons play style is optimal or approved by you doesn't matter. Obviously the player and his guild enjoy it, and if they are having fun using a game command that has been in forever they have a very legitimate complaint about it being removed. There is no real reason to disable /follow in BGs, especially if it hurts players like Refunki. The people who abuse /follow (like AFKers) are easy to deal with - report them. The multi-boxers, the other group that this effects, are legal in the eyes of Blizzard so I don't see the issue.
Edited by Reason on 3/6/2013 3:36 PM PST
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest

There have been a lot of new topics about this, ignoring the boxing issue (even though I have no issue with boxing) If you have to go afk during a bg, to answer the phone, go to the door whetever, following someone is far more helpful to your team, for getting to nodes or whatever, than standing in one spot and being kicked for being afk and having to sit through a 15min debuff.

I see, so a general explanation of:

1. Why the change was made.
2. Why it was not in the patch notes and had no warning.
90 Orc Death Knight
Also snowfox, this is just one guy who has become an inspiration in some way, just cause it is him in the video, doesn't mean he is the only blind pvper. It is pretty unfair to take away the feature which allows him and others, to play possibly the only game he can play with his friends with no official word/warning
90 Night Elf Rogue
Just have him re-roll a mage.

I see, so a general explanation of:

1. Why the change was made.
2. Why it was not in the patch notes and had no warning.

Who knows, maybe it's a bug? Like the quest drops? But I do remember seeing a blue post about it "working as intended" and how they believed nobody should be using the /follow in BGs, specifically from what I read.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I feel for your friend, and it's sad that cheaters ruin it for people who are in genuine need of certain features.

I'm not sure what Blizzard can do but if they could offer some sort of physical impairment support, that would be much appreciated I bet.

Also...I would like to know, how DOES he play? You cited his skill, but I don't see how he could be anything but dead last in damage. He can't see, he maybe could memorize keybinds but that doesn't mean he'd even be aware that he's attacking anybody.

Unless he had many add-ons that consisted of turning situations into sound for him, I can't see this. Could you please explain?

The game includes error sounds ("I need a target") when you're not targeting something. We had a large number of addons that would beep or make noise when he was at low health or his target was at low health (for Shadow Word: Death). Sadly, his computer crashed and a lot of the addons were lost.
90 Pandaren Monk

You realize if the person he is following dies, they can simply tell him and he can go from there ? If need be and able, life grip him away so he has room to do so, perhaps follow a different friend. They are in audio communication. There are way to strategize and work around issues all the time, it just takes planing ahead and thinking of what you got. You come off as a very negative person.

lol for someone who doesn't raid except raid finder u don't really understand whats goin on here. thats a major handicap. everyone at some points has to break off and handle stuff. unless hes a healer (which would be real interesting to see a blind healer play) to be a dps and can only run on /follow u might wanna think more into ur statement a bit dude lol. u can think of me how u want. idc i'm being realistic.

No, you are being pessimistic. You should learn the difference. I have raided, but thank you for reminding me I only used LFR this tier, not sure if that tickled your tummy, but reminders never hurt anyone I suppose. You are the one that might want to rethink your statements a bit dude, or not it really doesn't matter. What does matter is Refunki's enjoyment of the game and if/how he continues to do so.

*edited for a typo in the fella's name*
Edited by Faxian on 3/6/2013 3:40 PM PST
I feel for your friend, and it's sad that cheaters ruin it for people who are in genuine need of certain features.

I'm not sure what Blizzard can do but if they could offer some sort of physical impairment support, that would be much appreciated I bet.

Also...I would like to know, how DOES he play? You cited his skill, but I don't see how he could be anything but dead last in damage. He can't see, he maybe could memorize keybinds but that doesn't mean he'd even be aware that he's attacking anybody.

Unless he had many add-ons that consisted of turning situations into sound for him, I can't see this. Could you please explain?

The game includes error sounds ("I need a target") when you're not targeting something. We had a large number of addons that would beep or make noise when he was at low health or his target was at low health (for Shadow Word: Death). Sadly, his computer crashed and a lot of the addons were lost.

That sucks :(

Have you guys tried restoring those add ons?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Um... I know this would either sound ignorant or just plain offensive but I just want to know...
How? How does he plays it?

I second this, I see that he plays a shadow priest so I figure most if not all of his spells require a facing requirement but i'm just curious how does he get satisfaction out of it? I know that sounds bad but for someone not in that situation I'm just unable to wrap my head around how he gets enjoyment out of this game. I am just morbidly curious.

Edit: Oops, I meant doesn't require him to be facing somebody.
Edited by Achennis on 3/6/2013 3:46 PM PST
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Also snowfox, this is just one guy who has become an inspiration in some way, just cause it is him in the video, doesn't mean he is the only blind pvper. It is pretty unfair to take away the feature which allows him and others, to play possibly the only game he can play with his friends with no official word/warning

I'm divested of personal interest in the /follow bg-change, however if I were to advise action here - I'd say the sharpest blade to pick is to look at the both design and legal issues surrounding corporations and their need to promote accessibility in their products.

I won't fight that fight, but there is a tool in the chest there.

Who knows, maybe it's a bug? Like the quest drops? But I do remember seeing a blue post about it "working as intended" and how they believed nobody should be using the /follow in BGs, specifically from what I read.

Well I'd like more information about it too. I think I'm just more patient with the blues about such things. They get to it, but they are humans working a real job and things take time.
Um... I know this would either sound ignorant or just plain offensive but I just want to know...
How? How does he plays it?

I second this, I see that he plays a shadow priest so I figure most if not all of his spells require a facing requirement but i'm just curious how does he get satisfaction out of it? I know that sounds bad but for someone not in that situation I'm just unable to wrap my head around how he gets enjoyment out of this game. I am just morbidly curious.

Did you at least watch the videos? You might get a better understanding if you watched the videos.
90 Worgen Mage

The videos on how he does it are linked in this thread.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/06/2013 03:30 PMPosted by Verfaulen

Not being snide here, but what exactly is the question?

Is it if they intended to affect multiboxers?

I understand that but it shouldn't really matter if you plop yourself at some place to defend, nobody will notice the difference, if anything somebody following would make me take notice and say so and so is afking.
03/06/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Snowfox

I'm divested of personal interest in the /follow bg-change, however if I were to advise action here - I'd say the sharpest blade to pick is to look at the both design and legal issues surrounding corporations and their need to promote accessibility in their products.

I won't fight that fight, but there is a tool in the chest there.

Well I'd like more information about it too. I think I'm just more patient with the blues about such things. They get to it, but they are humans working a real job and things take time.

Believe me, I'm one of the posters who gets trolled and prosecuted on countless occasions because I actually defend Blizz. I'm not bashing Blizz about the /follow removal, I'm merely hoping that they at least read and acknowledge this thread and perhaps in the near future they might find an alternative route, so Refunki can still play :)
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/06/2013 03:44 PMPosted by Zhenogre

The videos on how he does it are linked in this thread.

Would you mind my asking of which page they are on?

Nm I'm stupid.
Edited by Achennis on 3/6/2013 3:49 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]