Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
03/06/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Achennis

The videos on how he does it are linked in this thread.

Would you mind my asking of which page they are on?

First page :D
61 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/06/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Achennis

The videos on how he does it are linked in this thread.

Would you mind my asking of which page they are on?

Nm I'm stupid.

No, you're not stupid....just oblivious :)
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

That sucks :(

Have you guys tried restoring those add ons?

I currently live 8 hours away from him. We still have family in the city he lives in, but our next scheduled visit is Christmas...
90 Undead Warlock
#support
60 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok, I've never heard of a blind person playing WoW before. I went to Refunki's youtube channel just to watch and see what this is all about. Dude plays WoW. He actually pvps. That is unbelievably awesome. I can't begin to imagine how much being blind affects every aspect of his life. I take video games for granted. The fact that he is/was able to play a game that I dearly love is amazing.

I understand the reason for removing the ability to /follow in pvp. Quite frankly, it annoyed me very much when people did that to me. There has to be another way to do this other than completely remove it.

1. When a player tried to follow in pvp, the player targeted to be followed gets an accept/reject pop up.

2. The person being followed can right click cancel follow on the follower and the follower is prevented from asking again for 30 seconds.

3. There is an "x" beside the followers unit frame that can be clicked on to cancel following.

In the end, something has to be done to preserve the little slice of happiness Refunki and other blind people have found in playing WoW. And I mean quickly, not when 5.3 rolls out in several months.
61 Blood Elf Death Knight

That sucks :(

Have you guys tried restoring those add ons?

I currently live 8 hours away from him. We still have family in the city he lives in, but our next scheduled visit is Christmas...

Yeah, no need to worry about such things ;)

Was curious, I watched the videos, and he's not really on follow that much, he seems to move a little on his own, maybe he can start practicing to move on his own a little. I'm not saying the situation is right at all but just in the meantime perhaps he can move on his own.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That is interesting, imagine the looks on those peoples faces when they find out a blind person beat them pretty handily too. I do hope some sort of work around is found for him.
90 Orc Death Knight
03/06/2013 03:46 PMPosted by Temporarilý

I'm divested of personal interest in the /follow bg-change, however if I were to advise action here - I'd say the sharpest blade to pick is to look at the both design and legal issues surrounding corporations and their need to promote accessibility in their products.

I won't fight that fight, but there is a tool in the chest there.

Well I'd like more information about it too. I think I'm just more patient with the blues about such things. They get to it, but they are humans working a real job and things take time.

Believe me, I'm one of the posters who gets trolled and prosecuted on countless occasions because I actually defend Blizz. I'm not bashing Blizz about the /follow removal, I'm merely hoping that they at least read and acknowledge this thread and perhaps in the near future they might find an alternative route, so Refunki can still play :)

Exactly dude
Frigidaire, if you would please do me the great favor of reading the following out loud to Refunki, I would very much appreciate it.

To Refunki,

I do not know you, but I truly wish I had the privilege of making your acquaintance. I have never been in a battleground with you, but I believe it is my most terrible loss that I have not had the experience of fighting against or alongside of you.

As a player who is slowly losing her own eyesight and is on the verge of being declared legally blind (though I can still see with glasses), I find you to be an inspiration to me and others like me who wish to continue with their gaming careers even after losing their sight.

I very much hope that Blizzard finds a way to restore the functionality of the /follow command to you so that you can continue to play this game that you love with the friends who so obviously love you. You are truly blessed to have friends who are willing to speak up and fight for you, especially in a place so full of vitriol and hatred as these forums can be.

Please don't give up. I encourage you to try to find a way to continue playing World of Warcraft despite this setback, as this game would truly be worse off for loss of you.

My most sincere regards,
Isadia
Death Knight
<Lobster Brood>
Edited by Isadia on 3/6/2013 4:06 PM PST
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

Believe me, I'm one of the posters who gets trolled and prosecuted on countless occasions because I actually defend Blizz. I'm not bashing Blizz about the /follow removal, I'm merely hoping that they at least read and acknowledge this thread and perhaps in the near future they might find an alternative route, so Refunki can still play :)

Yeah I don't disagree... just playing the waiting game with it myself.
You guys have the admiration and support of all of us in Altamirano. Being a guild that takes and helps out those with disabilities and limitations, it really floors me that you guys are willing to stand up and fight for him to have he enjoyment he once did in-game. After watching his youtube channel I can only say that makes him even more incredible in my books.

Let's hope Blizzard can find another way. I agree with the follow being an agreed upon prompt like duel or trade. And perhaps but a time limit on it or a mechanism that senses if nothing is being done for a certain amount of time and break the follow then.
90 Tauren Shaman
As the GM of And Those Other Guys and long time friend and arena partner of Refunki I can say that he is an excellent player and can hold his own in Arenas and Battlegrounds.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
i'm going to be honest, even after watching the videos of him playing on the youtube channel you linked, i still don't really his playstyle works.

however, i saw him playing arena without using follow on his partner. how come the same can't apply to a BG?
90 Orc Shaman
/salute
60 Night Elf Rogue
Sad to think that this has happened. I didnt realise that there was blind players, I guess Blizzard overlooked that and the few other issues that have arisen in the last patch..like not being able to play as a sighted player at all..I guess theres some satisfaction for the blindies, Were all in the same boat for once.
i'm going to be honest, even after watching the videos of him playing on the youtube channel you linked, i still don't really his playstyle works.

however, i saw him playing arena without using follow on his partner. how come the same can't apply to a BG?

Think about the differences between BGs and Arenas. An Arena match is basically a cage fight: the only job you have is to get in there and defeat your opponent however you can. Someone who is in an Arena match with Refunki wants to defeat him, so the fight comes to him.

A Battleground is much larger, has many more obstacles (rocks, fences, trees, etc.), and differing objectives. Killing enemy players is just service to the larger objective, whether it's holding Farm and LM, capping the flag at FR or taking Waterworks. Without /follow, he is lost in the wilderness of Alterac Valley or runs off cliffs in Eye of the Storm. WITH /follow, he is an effective member of a team.

In the end, something has to be done to preserve the little slice of happiness Refunki and other blind people have found in playing WoW. And I mean quickly, not when 5.3 rolls out in several months.

I really liked your ideas. To add to that, maybe there's a way we can flag our character as "unfollowable": a simple setting that makes it so we can control whether or not if other players are allowed to follow us.

Between being able to toggle whether you can be followed and being able to break the follow at will, it seems to me that there are other alternatives to the /follow problem in BGs that can actually give us players greater control over our own characters without taking away the ability of players like Refunki to enjoy PvP.
90 Undead Hunter
I hope he finds a solution to this <3
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]