Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Undead Priest
Hey all, another guildie of our blind priest.

I just wanna say that we know of course Blizzard didn't intend this. We're creating this thread to make them aware of the unintended consequences.

I don't PVP much, but I hate botters in bgs too, so I understand the frustration. Ideally there could be a workaround that would stop most botters but still allow our friend to play.

It could be as simple as having /follow be something that is mutually agreed on, like a trade or duel. That way a bot can't follow you against your will.

Well, you expressed it really better. Thank you.
68 Tauren Druid
This is what Blizzard gets for trying to get rid of multi-boxers in BGs.
100 Troll Priest
This is absurd.

Suck it up, Blizzard obviously wasn't thinking "Gee, how can we stop blind players from playing?" when they made this decision.

Come on already.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

This, this, SO MUCH this.
Edited by Byniri on 3/5/2013 6:38 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

It could be as simple as having /follow be something that is mutually agreed on, like a trade or duel. That way a bot can't follow you against your will.

Or something like you can only follow people on your friends list, perhaps.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Unsubbed.
100 Troll Druid
One point and I'm out: some people have been saying things like "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

1) My friend quite literally needs /follow in order to play bgs. I don't think you can argue that any players need /follow to be broken in order to play bgs.

2) That aside, obviously you can't dismiss the fact that botters and multiboxers adversely affect the game experience for lots of people, and some of the suggestions we're floating would not prove much of a barrier to certain botters/multiboxers.

What we're asking for is attention to the situation so that a good resolution can be reached. Would I be happy if the change were simply reverted? Yeah, but we'd also be happy with other solutions too.
Edited by Pouncedeleon on 3/5/2013 7:02 PM PST
87 Goblin Priest
I dunno, I have a friend who multi boxes, uses a 5 man druid team, and has programmed macros to make them follow, and target and execute spells. He camps towers in alteric, and very few are able to stop his group.
He's working a hunter team from the ground up next (and getting advice from me on which pets to use), and it's working very well.
I understand though how someone can just pull in their bots and boxers, and camp a spot and do nothing, or do just enough to keep from gettin kicked.

But I see this from both sides of the spectrum, and then I see this.
The thing is, what CAN blizzard do to stop botters/lazy boxers?

I can see why they disabled follow. That was the main tool of making it work.
I have no doubt the blind guy probably does better then most other BG participants, although anyone would do good with enough support from friends.

Question is, IS there a middle ground blizz can walk, helping people like this out, without catering to the lowest common denominator.
He can hear if a fight is going on, and knows when he's been left behind.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If they got rid of /follow, botters will find a way to hack the game and make it possible again. Just wait a while, they'll see. (no pun intended)
90 Gnome Warrior
1) My friend quite literally needs /follow in order to play bgs. I don't think you can argue that any players need /follow to be broken in order to play bgs.

I can sympathize and I'd like to hope people will come up with solutions rather than insults.

One I had is this:

A confirmation box upon selecting someone to follow.

For instance:

Player A targets Player B to follow.

Player B gets a confirmation selection of "Player A wishes to follow you, do you want to allow it?"

<yes or no>

This has two distinct advantages:

1) Players like the one mentioned in OP still have the flexibility to PvP
2) It absolutely DESTROYS followbots since no one would (hopefully) allow a complete stranger to follow them in PvP.
100 Human Mage
While I feel very sorry for your friend... I personally hate those that abuse the system more than I feel sympathy for him.

Because Blizzard has finally done something to combat Botting which quite honestly is rampant in this game, IMO it is more important.

May sound cruel, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.
If they got rid of /follow, botters will find a way to hack the game and make it possible again. Just wait a while, they'll see. (no pun intended)

While I agree with you that botters will find a way, I must also say that we don't want to violate the ToS here. We've been doing everything we can to get him to be able to play, but violating the ToS has been out of the question, because of the risk it poses to his ability to play. If he got banned, it means that years of his playtime would be lost.

What this means is that botters will STILL find a way to bot and my friend will not be able to play.
87 Draenei Paladin
There might be another way Blizzard can fix this, hopefully.

The people saying the needs of the many outweigh the few have a point, but that still incredibly sucks and everyone should have the feels.
90 Troll Druid
I'm a sound person when I'm not playing. I work with audio effects, music composition, mix engineering ect. and when you really tune your ears you would be amazed how well you can "see" with only your ears. I often mix sound with my eyes closed and almost sense the levels by the feelings between the speakers and my body. I would imagine the blind have a truly amazing sense of spacial aweareness that might suprise the average sighted person.

Ambient sounds, reverb effects, footstep sound that you can count, mounted footsteps, distance fading, left and right speaker fading as you turn in game... all of these things make it VERY obvious whats going on if you pay attention. Most of the ways blind people judge and memorize their suroundings in real life are available to some degree in game.

The only real setback a blind person would have under the right game settings is not knowing whats going on outside the "audio" range in game. For that they would basically need a person who knew what direction to move in from their current location.

I dont have much of an opinion on the topic itself. All I will say is that I dont play BG's or arena so I dont know how bad it gets with multiboxing / bots but I can say this... either way, no matter what blizzard does, there will be cheaters... I dont see any reason to punish people for the mistakes of others.
90 Pandaren Warrior
This made me sad.
Please fix this Blizzard.
90 Pandaren Warrior

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

That is also what Stalin Said before he slaughtered 30 million people, not very nice at all.
If you think about it this saying efficiently abolished personal freedom.
I still can't rap my head around why you would continue to play a visual game while blind...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]