Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I still can't rap my head around why you would continue to play a visual game while blind...

My husband (Pouncedeleon) and I moved away from the city Refunki lives in. Pounce and Refunki have been friends since middle school, and WoW is a great way for them to continue to play together and continue their friendship in spite of the geographical distance that now separates them.

I'll admit that we started an account to just "see how far he can get", and we've all been surprised and pleased with how things have gone. Refunki capped at 85 during Cata and has spent hours playing BGs and having fun. Before WoW, his options for communicating with people outside his small group of friends were extremely limited.
100 Night Elf Druid
Its a sad story but at the end of the day one less sub means little to nothing to blizz. I hope they change it for him but I highly doubt they will since they dont listen to one persons issues but what the drones want.

It might be difficult for him to adapt to a new game but chances are you guys might have to. There are many great options out there for games though wow should not be the last resort to continue a friendship!
66 Draenei Priest
i really have to question the wisdom of blind people playing this game. It seems insane to play war type video games. A game where you alot of the time need sight. Sure, you can put someone on follow and work out a system where someone tells you what buttons to press to activate moves that you do. You get audio cues from some raid bosses for moves.

You would not know what you are doing most of the time
Edited by Nohlani on 3/5/2013 8:07 PM PST
90 Dwarf Paladin
Maybe if the scum that are multiboxers didnt ruin it for everyone your friend would still have follow
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Finally now I don't have to worry about all those pesky multiboxers that have invaded almost every battleground I join now adays... JK no multiboxers maybe once a month like my period

Now there will be soo much less bots since they won't be able to /follow any one any more!...... JK they don't /follow

I'm pretty sure premades are far more worse to fight against than a multiboxer/botting team.

This was a clear intention against the blind.
Edited by Undisclosed on 3/5/2013 8:08 PM PST
100 Tauren Hunter
Please understand you do have my best wishes. But there have been tons of topics in regards to multi-boxing and how it has been hurting the game while the multi-boxers seem to want to hide behind the "money wall".
The best thing you could do is to record your friend playing in a pve setting ie brand new with names and such visable and submit this to the customer support crew, do not repost the video to youtube or anything else so as to make it as ironclad as possible. while this may not change right away it may give the folks at Blizzard food for thought and help in your cause.

Best wises to you and your friends.
56 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wow - very impressive stuff! I'd like to hear how the Blizzard PR team handles this issue.

There was another player who had an incident and went blind. His friends helped guide him on vent so that he was able to raid and kill bosses with them as well as perform optimally. The person the OP is talking about presumably had to do more than just /follow in battleground by means of voice communication. If he can see enough to know where or who he is hitting, then surely, he can find a way around the /follow being removed and have his friends guide him through it on vent.
100 Tauren Death Knight
BLIZZARD NEEDS TO FIX FOLLOW IN BG'S!!! REFUNKI IS A GUILDY/FRIEND OF MINE AND IT'S AWESOME TO PLAY WITH HIM AND BY BLIZZARD TAKING AWAY FOLLOW AND HIS ABILITY TO PLAY IT'S ALMOST LIKE TAKING AWAY OUR FRIENDSHIP AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR THAT!!
The responsibility of keeping those bots and such out of bg's should fall unto the people in the bg's to report them, not take follow out completely. It's not Refunki's fault that people are to lazy to click the person that's cheating and go down to report player or report afk and click, it's not that hard
100 Tauren Shaman
I can't think of any way that Blizzard could solve the problem they were going for and keep gameplay for your blind friend intact. I think though, that your friend could probably find other ways to enjoy the game without the /follow command.

A sightless person that can play wow is obviously resourceful. Patch updates spoil aspects of the game for players all the time. Killing addons or macros or something that makes us grit our teeth and shake our fists, but we get around it and persevere.

Your friend has overcome a lot of challenges due to an inability to see. This is another one. I think he's probably up to the task.

Best wishes and good luck.
100 Human Mage
03/05/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Tonow
I really don't see how /follow caused much of a problem anyways. Most bots have their own paths to follow, no?

Multiboxers use follow to keep their characters together.

Multiboxers were doing nothing wrong. Stop bringing them up. Blizzards stance was as long as done correctly multiboxing was perfectly fine.
100 Human Mage
Um... I know this would either sound ignorant or just plain offensive but I just want to know...
How? How does he plays it?

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/guide-dog-player-and-guild-embrace-sightless-guildmate-steer/
100 Night Elf Druid
03/05/2013 08:13 PMPosted by Belcanta
Wow - very impressive stuff! I'd like to hear how the Blizzard PR team handles this issue.

There was another player who had an incident and went blind. His friends helped guide him on vent so that he was able to raid and kill bosses with them as well as perform optimally. The person the OP is talking about presumably had to do more than just /follow in battleground by means of voice communication. If he can see enough to know where or who he is hitting, then surely, he can find a way around the /follow being removed and have his friends guide him through it on vent.

That player also relied heavily on /follow macros. Basically that player was doing what the OP was describing and breaking /follow in raids would have gimped him just as much.
Edited by Ziryus on 3/5/2013 8:22 PM PST
100 Night Elf Druid
I hope that Blizzard can make some special method for those with visual problems to be able to continue playing the portions of the game that they enjoy, maybe if a player can verify they indeed have visual issues and or are blind that blizzard can re-instate a special /follow just for those players.

I wish you, your guild and especially your friend much luck in getting some type of fix for this.
This is kinda sad. For 98% of the community this change is good, for 1.999% of the community it is bad, but for probably 10-15 players this changed completely ruins the game for them. I feel bad for those players.

Dumb question but why does not being able to /follow in a BG totally destroy a game for anyone ?

is that not pretty much the same as being unable to do Normal or Heroic raids on LFR or RealId if your server is too low pop to get into one, or you work off hours ?

it is a SMALL part of the game, not like the rest of the game is ruined

I feel sorry for this blind guy, but the rest of the MB's that are !@#$%ing about this, c'mon already
Edited by Zedara on 3/5/2013 8:25 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
That is very unfortunate :(

I hate to hear multiboxers ruined someone's ability to play the game. Hopefully, blizz can figure out some sort of compromise, like only allowing /follow for characters on separate accounts or IP addresses.
56 Blood Elf Death Knight
That player also relied heavily on /follow macros. Basically that player was doing what the OP was describing and breaking /follow in raids would have gimped him just as much.

Hmm. I'm kind of on the fence with this. I don't want Blizzard to break the game for the visually impaired but I'm not too stoked about multi-boxers either. I realize there is a different between botting and multi-boxing but both put a strain on other players, especially in PvP.
64 Tauren Death Knight
Quite honestly, if someone is visually impaired to the point where they need to /follow someone, how is it possible to get any enjoyment from the game?

What happens when they die?
Do they just wait around for someone to latch on to?
-which may result in them spending most of the game in a graveyard?

The character OP linked hasn't done much in the way of pvp.
...I'm cynical enough to wonder why this would become an issue the instant it gets changed.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Being completely coldhearted with no emotions, I can objectively say that it sucks to be blind, but it's not even close to enough to stop the change from happening. A few blind people will no longer be able to play a game that millions of people are subscribed to. Oh well, life's not fair.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]