Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/05/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Zedara
This is kinda sad. For 98% of the community this change is good, for 1.999% of the community it is bad, but for probably 10-15 players this changed completely ruins the game for them. I feel bad for those players.

Dumb question but why does not being able to /follow in a BG totally destroy a game for anyone ?

is that not pretty much the same as being unable to do Normal or Heroic raids on LFR or RealId if your server is too low pop to get into one, or you work off hours ?

it is a SMALL part of the game, not like the rest of the game is ruined

I feel sorry for this blind guy, but the rest of the MB's that are !@#$%ing about this, c'mon already

We are not app developers or coders, so we have to be able to make things work with what small scripting knowledge we have (mostly gotten by using trial-and-error with API). So far, it has worked out.

As to your assertion that it is a small part of the game and the rest of the game isn't ruined? If what you loved doing most in WoW was basically forbidden you, wouldn't that make it hard for you to enjoy the rest of the game? A lot of the small adjustments necessary to make it to max DPS in PvE are things he can't do, because there's simply no way for us to provide him that information in audio form. Besides, he just enjoys PVP.
90 Worgen Mage
i really have to question the wisdom of blind people playing this game. It seems insane to play war type video games. A game where you alot of the time need sight. Sure, you can put someone on follow and work out a system where someone tells you what buttons to press to activate moves that you do. You get audio cues from some raid bosses for moves.

You would not know what you are doing most of the time

Nohlani: Believe me when i tell you that the only thing stopping me from honestly telling you just what I think of you, and what you have said, is the forum Code of Conduct.
Quite honestly, if someone is visually impaired to the point where they need to /follow someone, how is it possible to get any enjoyment from the game?

What happens when they die?
Do they just wait around for someone to latch on to?
-which may result in them spending most of the game in a graveyard?

The character OP linked hasn't done much in the way of pvp.
...I'm cynical enough to wonder why this would become an issue the instant it gets changed.

He mostly plays with others in our guild, which is why the /follow being broken is so much of an issue.

It became an issue because he logged in today, ready to pvp after patching up and suddenly he couldn't.
This whole thing sounds like a big troll thread to get Blizzard to revert the follow change. A blind player pvp'ing? Seriously, who believes this is a real situation and not some elaborate scheme to get a revert on something that crippled thousands of subs. Not buying it, its like someone blind trying to argue in court that he is fit to drive a car, get outta here.

You're welcome to look at the youtube videos we posted in the very first post to see how he plays.
03/05/2013 07:57 PMPosted by Frigidaire
I still can't rap my head around why you would continue to play a visual game while blind...

My husband (Pouncedeleon) and I moved away from the city Refunki lives in. Pounce and Refunki have been friends since middle school, and WoW is a great way for them to continue to play together and continue their friendship in spite of the geographical distance that now separates them.

I'll admit that we started an account to just "see how far he can get", and we've all been surprised and pleased with how things have gone. Refunki capped at 85 during Cata and has spent hours playing BGs and having fun. Before WoW, his options for communicating with people outside his small group of friends were extremely limited.

That's a wonderful response, i thought i was going to get some type of hate, thanks :)!
Have it so the people who NEED /follow can apply to Blizzard. Show forms ect. Then none else can have it in BGs.
69 Undead Mage
This sounds extremely fishy. I mean pet battle fishy. And that's some serious fishy going on.
88 Draenei Mage
I really do sympathize OP but:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
90 Worgen Mage
This whole thing sounds like a big troll thread to get Blizzard to revert the follow change. A blind player pvp'ing? Seriously, who believes this is a real situation and not some elaborate scheme to get a revert on something that crippled thousands of subs. Not buying it, its like someone blind trying to argue in court that he is fit to drive a car, get outta here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qREbsVvNHv8

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/guide-dog-player-and-guild-embrace-sightless-guildmate-steer/

http://wow.mmosite.com/updates/wow_touching_story_guildmates_help_a_blind_player_take_down_deathwing.shtml

Would you like some water to help you with those two feet you just crammed in your mouth?
90 Undead Priest

It could be as simple as having /follow be something that is mutually agreed on, like a trade or duel. That way a bot can't follow you against your will.

Great idea - put this in the first post (OP's post) and make it visible so Blizzard will see it, make it boldfaced or something and near the top.
i really have to question the wisdom of blind people playing this game. It seems insane to play war type video games. A game where you alot of the time need sight. Sure, you can put someone on follow and work out a system where someone tells you what buttons to press to activate moves that you do. You get audio cues from some raid bosses for moves.

You would not know what you are doing most of the time

Nohlani: Believe me when i tell you that the only thing stopping me from honestly telling you just what I think of you, and what you have said, is the forum Code of Conduct.

This
100 Troll Druid
Nobully,

Refunki was full conquest geared in Cata. He got a slow start this past season due his computer breaking down. He doesn't just /follow. He plays rather dynamically, including breaking follow, playing by sound to a certain extent (fearing if he's surrounded by an audible melee at the flag, using addons to know when his target can be power word deathed, etc) but if he can't get to the fight he can't really contribute.

He enjoys playing the game because we all play with him and because he likes contributing to a team effort.

Sometimes when he dies he has to wait for someone to spawn at the same graveyard, but it's rarely more than 30 seconds. Usually if he dies it's because the base they were defending went down (or whatever).

Finally, he plays most days, and was excited about the upcoming pvp season, so obviously he's going to notice when something is wrong on day one.

Einherjarl, isn't it kind of silly for someone with no emotions to get involved in a conversation like this?
03/05/2013 08:31 PMPosted by Frigidaire

Dumb question but why does not being able to /follow in a BG totally destroy a game for anyone ?

is that not pretty much the same as being unable to do Normal or Heroic raids on LFR or RealId if your server is too low pop to get into one, or you work off hours ?

it is a SMALL part of the game, not like the rest of the game is ruined

I feel sorry for this blind guy, but the rest of the MB's that are !@#$%ing about this, c'mon already

We are not app developers or coders, so we have to be able to make things work with what small scripting knowledge we have (mostly gotten by using trial-and-error with API). So far, it has worked out.

As to your assertion that it is a small part of the game and the rest of the game isn't ruined? If what you loved doing most in WoW was basically forbidden you, wouldn't that make it hard for you to enjoy the rest of the game? A lot of the small adjustments necessary to make it to max DPS in PvE are things he can't do, because there's simply no way for us to provide him that information in audio form. Besides, he just enjoys PVP.

You mean like Blizz taking out all the old world bosses and basically anything good before MoP for newer players like Me ?

Things that actually made me want to play wow but due to being stuck overseas in the military I was not able to play ?

or like not allowing LFR for current content or anything near normal or Heroic , just because I work off hours ?

or for people on lower pop servers ??

or maybe dropping the drop rate on old bosses drops so newer playes have even less chance of the GOOD mounts that originally were 100% drop rate ??

So what if they now stopping MB's from following in BG's, they also stopped people who /afk and do nothing !!!

If MB's are that concerned they would bind movements too, so that they can MOVE as well as nuke people from 5 toons !!
90 Worgen Mage
http://www.omninet.net.au/~irhumph/blindgamers.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2266516/Meet-blind-teenager-Ben-Breen-cracked-video-game-world-relying-solely-sound.html

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/blind-gamer-plays-zelda-by-ear/

I believe the OP and his friends deserve a humble and abject apology.

You know who you are.

Man up and do it.
I've played with the player the OP is talking about in quite a few BG's and they are probably the only random player that I will always remeber because they stick out because they do explain what they need and wants to do during the pre-show timer thing. I got a string of BG's with them and they would /wave me and then follow and I'd try my best not to hook him someplace crappy.

I know players have flamed them in the warm up phase and he/she always stayed calm and didn't feed the trolls. I respect that 100% and kind of admire it actually. They are trying to do something they find enjoyable, knowing some people will turn !@#$%^ on them, they don't ask for any game changing things and they appear to enjoy what they are trying to accomplish. It's funny because sometimes, the blind can truly lead the people that can see the best and this is one of those incidents. It's not about HK's or any of that. And for those wondering, they did fine from what I was seeing. We won quite of few of our randoms.

As for people asking why? Why not is the answer. I've seen many blind folks with dog or with a guide hiking to the top of many mountains. I've seen them free climb and back in Florda, scuba dive. There was always that one person that under their breath would always ask: "Why". My answer is if you have to ask, then you are truely the blind one in the room!
I really do sympathize OP but:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Make it so it only affects the few.

Have it so the people who NEED /follow can apply to Blizzard. Show forms ect. Then none else can have it in BGs.
90 Night Elf Druid
03/05/2013 08:40 PMPosted by Ukoviaz
So you want your multibox ability back so badly you would stopp to this? Pathetic mate, truely pathetic.

You're an idiot, okay?

Did you even read the whole thing? Look at the links?

DO ANYTHING?

Quit being a mouth-breather and actually think for a second.

If I get a forum ban for this, I really don't care, because you deserve to know how stupid you are.
Edited by Lurissa on 3/5/2013 8:42 PM PST
90 Worgen Mage
As for people asking why? Why not is the answer. I've seen many blind folks with dog or with a guide hiking to the top of many mountains. I've seen them free climb and back in Florda, scuba dive. There was always that one person that under their breath would always ask: "Why". My answer is if you have to ask, then you are truely the blind one in the room!

Ookyou: My compliments. Beautifully said.

Lurissa: easy. He's a troll, deep breaths now.
Edited by Zhenogre on 3/5/2013 8:43 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]