Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

90 Orc Warrior
It really sucks to hear this, but I guess this was done to help against multi-boxers and bots. I doubt they thought of blind players when they removed follow in BGs.

I don't envy blizzard right now I'll tell you that.
90 Pandaren Hunter
03/05/2013 09:03 PMPosted by Amergin

As said already, the only reason my rage is being held in check is the Code of Conduct.

Please explain how it is possible for a blind person to PVP? He can't really fight anyone because HE CANT SEE. he can't heal anyone because HE CANT SEE their health bars. He can't quest because HE CANT SEE the mobs he has to kill or even the quest givers to get the quests in the first place, so please explain how it is possible for a blind player to play WOW?

It's already been explained to you with links to videos. Besides, this person is not the first blind person to play WoW. Why don't you go back and read what OP posted. Just because you are too small minded to believe it doesn't mean it can't be done.
Does this mean everything should drasically change to suit blind folks? No not at all.....most dont' want major changes anyway. But if given the opportunity, should a company or recreation place at least try and help out blind folks? Obsolutely!

This
90 Night Elf Druid
@ Amergin, if you are a forums regular, the player OP is referring to is not the only blind wow player there is, there are players with a number of medical issues and for them wow is a true escape, a way to blend in with the sighted, the healthy and feel a part of something bigger.

A couple months back there was a thread that was all about players with varying disabilities, just because someone is sightless does not mean that they can not play wow, all it takes is a willingness of others to lend a hand where they can.

People from all walks of life and all types with varied medical problems and health issues and more play wow.

My hats off to those who one would seemingly think playing wow would be impossible and bravo to those who do what they can to make playing possible, they are what wow needs more of, /salute:)
90 Human Warlock
Sucks that he is catching the short end of the stick on this.
Sucks that he couldn't at least get a warning the patch notes to notify him of the upcoming change, at least then you could have prepared and found alternative solutions.

The lack of communication on this from Blizzard is disrespectful.
The lack of communication on this from Blizzard is disrespectful.

I really don't think that Blizz should be blamed for this. They probably thought it would only affect afkers, that is why there was no previous notification? But they still need to fix it.
90 Draenei Shaman
they should put the /follow back, who cares if people "cheat" with it? it is just a stupid video game that means nothing in the real world, if someone is that hurt over a "follow" you need to get your life back on track.

( Just get people to report the AFKs )

You will always have cheaters no matter what.
If an ally needs healing, they call out for it in vent.

He focuses fire by /assist. He listens to the state of the battlefield (stealthers decloaking, etc).

He has addons for his own health and enemy health below a certain percentage. He quests in groups (although getting shado-pan rep has been a pain in the butt :P).

There are hotkeys for "target nearest enemy" and "target nearest enemy player". When he gets overwhelmed he disperses.

Some of it takes some work and it's not perfect. We don't mind helping with the work, but /follow being broken makes it much, much harder.

Please explain how it is possible for a blind person to PVP? He can't really fight anyone because HE CANT SEE. he can't heal anyone because HE CANT SEE their health bars. He can't quest because HE CANT SEE the mobs he has to kill or even the quest givers to get the quests in the first place, so please explain how it is possible for a blind player to play WOW?

26 seconds ago
Reply Quote
Edited by Pouncedeleon on 3/5/2013 9:11 PM PST
90 Pandaren Hunter
Please like this thread to hopefully get the attention of a blue.
Have I said otherwise? Look this isn't fantasy land here. Sometimes things like these happen and you have to accept it and move on. I just honestly don't see Blizzard reversing this for a few players when it solves a problem for many more players. I think people need to be a bit more reasonable here.

Have it so only blind people can /follow in BGs. Have them show Blizz the forms.
90 Night Elf Mage
03/05/2013 08:59 PMPosted by Truthe
Oh, wait, I think I might have seen your friend in game. He was running into a wall for about an hour in ORG.

As said already, the only reason my rage is being held in check is the Code of Conduct.

Yeah, I was very tempted to say something rude to that guy too.

Fortunately, not as tempted as I was by my anger when I was playing STO earlier tonight and mentioned that patch 5.2 of WoW came out today - which came up because I was talking about what I did yesterday and today which caused me to miss the fleet meeting.

The first comment I got was, "wow sucks". It just devolved from there, with more people piling in. One guy complained about a bug that apparently caused him to be chased by a level 22 spider for over half an hour, while he kept hoping it would drop aggro. I said something more rude than just pointing out that the game he was currently playing had worse bugs on a constant basis - like for no apparent reason, Romulan ships randomly torpedoed themselves, or a brand new starship having the survivability of a wet napkin because their heal and shield strength were set to the equivalent of shuttlecraft, not proper starships, and random stuff like that. After a bit more, the guy who initially said "wow sucks" said he was going to bed, and I told him to have nightmares because I didn't give a crap (not the actual word I used), and I signed off and watched some videos of GTA IV with no friction mods to cheer myself up.

Point is, I get real mouthy, and I admire your restraint. ^^
90 Blood Elf Mage
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

It comes down to this. I'm sorry about your friend, but this change was necessary to put a stop to the lazy afkers and the multiboxers.
63 Blood Elf Hunter
Not to be a complete douche. But follow enables a pretty easy exploit of the game.
Understanding that there may be a very select few (such as your blind friend) who may benefit from follow doesn't necessarily mean that it should be reinstated.

I crushed my foot in a motorcycle accident. Couldn't even stand up for 3 months, as any swelling would tear the surgeries apart. My foot had to stay above my heart. As a result my employer had to replace me and my career effectively ended with that company.

Just because I had a physical disability does not mean that my employer should have to hold a vacancy in his team indefinitely, nor could they afford to. The same applies here. For the greater good.

I would personally hold the folks who exploited the game in contempt far above the developers who removed the exploitable feature.

I have fully recovered by the way and am working in a very similar capacity with a new company.
My hats off to those who one would seemingly think playing wow would be impossible and bravo to those who do what they can to make playing possible, they are what wow needs more of, /salute:)

I agree 100%

Some of the single greatest contributions to the music world (which is my life both work and play so I'm partial here), have been made by completly deaf composers and musicians. Most of them had naysayers, including their own parents, friends and family. They choose not to listen (no pun intended), and the World is a much better place because of them looking beyond the normal.

I'm not saying a blind person playing WoW would change the World, but I do know we need people just like the person the OP is talking about to try to go beyond what the stigma of society have attached to them. It might be minor now somehow implementing a /follow for blind folks, but you never know, maybe a simple solution to this issue could completely change game playing for blind folks in the future to allow many others to play that are also blind. Remember: A small fix today could literally chaneg the World in a big way tomorrow.
Edited by Ookyou on 3/5/2013 9:18 PM PST
That is all well and good but completely ignores the fact that removing /follow is a solution to another problem one much bigger than this one. Sorry but that is the cold hard reality of it.

03/05/2013 09:11 PMPosted by Truthe
Have it so only blind people can /follow in BGs. Have them show Blizz the forms.

How many times will I have to post this? To make it clearer:
Blind person shows Blizz proof ect.
Blizz adds /follow on BGs to that account.
Solved
Edited by Truthe on 3/5/2013 9:18 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]