Blind player no longer able to follow in BGs

(Locked)

100 Tauren Warrior
03/05/2013 09:06 PMPosted by Mserica
Please explain how it is possible for a blind person to PVP? He can't really fight anyone because HE CANT SEE. he can't heal anyone because HE CANT SEE their health bars. He can't quest because HE CANT SEE the mobs he has to kill or even the quest givers to get the quests in the first place, so please explain how it is possible for a blind player to play WOW?
What, people have to be "perfect" now in order to enjoy this game? Would be willing to bet that this individual ( provided they're old enough and cogent enough to drive) parks in handicapped spaces. I wonder if they would think the same if they were struck blind by illness? Granted that multiboxing and botting has forced Blizzard's hand, but it would be hoped that they could figure out something to keep all the players enjoying the game they love.
Edited by Warrbull on 3/5/2013 9:23 PM PST
86 Tauren Paladin

Multiboxers were doing nothing wrong. Stop bringing them up. Blizzards stance was as long as done correctly multiboxing was perfectly fine.

Exactly this and while this affects multiboxers it was absolutely not done expressly to prevent multiboxing. This is a distinction that needs to be made crystal clear.

No it wasn't, but the level of QQing from Multi boxers is a red flag to the community that they were indeed guilty of exploiting at some level in battlegrounds.
And of course confirmation that Blizzard have done the right thing here.

Multiboxing is much maligned by a massive percentage of the community, and whilst this removal may not have been specifically targeted at them, its just a bonus!
87 Night Elf Druid
[quote="81555315562]
A couple months back there was a thread that was all about players with varying disabilities, [quote]

I'm not talking about all disabilities, but blindness. I know there are a lot of people who play game like WOW and Rift with disabilities. But, WOW is 100% a visual game and I can not figure out how anyone could play this blind.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I do not believe this for even half of a second. Multi boxer pulling on people's heart strings. Nothing to see here.

We have provided links to videos; have you watched them?
I'm not talking about all disabilities, but blindness. I know there are a lot of people who play game like WOW and Rift with disabilities. But, WOW is 100% a visual game and I can not figure out how anyone could play this blind.

I believe the OP has already explained. Also provided a YouTube channel. If this is not sufficient for you, I'm sure the OP will respond.
90 Night Elf Mage
03/05/2013 09:18 PMPosted by Xanzül

I hardly call it complex.

Who said it was complex? As much as people request it things like opts ins, opt outs, and toggles don't get added willy nilly for no reason just to have them. Again people need to get some perspective here. You are asking Blizzard to stick a toggle in the game just for a very few people. It isn't going to happen. I'm sorry but it isn't.

. . .

From the post the person replied to: "It is unnecessary complexity [. . .]".
From the post the person replied to: "It is unnecessary complexity [. . .]".

Thank you.
I do not believe this for even half of a second. Multi boxer pulling on people's heart strings. Nothing to see here.

I played with the person the OP linked. I'll never forget the player simply cos of the chat macros they used to explain their situation. There were no multi-boxer groups, it was literally a completely random group of players in the late afternoons. The player announced what he needed and why he needed to follow. They then proceeded to help our team. Was he uber? No, not at all. Was he good enough for random BG's? Yes, absolutely!

If this is a big elaborate conspiracy for multi-boxers, then it's been in a place for a long time now which would make no sense at all.
90 Worgen Mage
Please explain how it is possible for a blind person to PVP? He can't really fight anyone because HE CANT SEE. he can't heal anyone because HE CANT SEE their health bars. He can't quest because HE CANT SEE the mobs he has to kill or even the quest givers to get the quests in the first place, so please explain how it is possible for a blind player to play WOW?

In such a way as a blind man can ski

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvFjKluEFCU

In much the same way as a deaf man can write music

http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Bio/BiographyDeafness.html

In much the same way as a man confined to a wheelchair whose body is paralysed by a disease that forces him to use a voice modulator can be the greatest mind in cosmology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

A disability is only such if you wish it to be, a lack of one sense does not mean others cannot take over for it, what is taken away with one hand is given back with another, the measure of any condition is not what is stops you from doing, but in the challenge to overcome it and make it work for you.

To quote the creators of Babylon 5: faith manages.
90 Gnome Mage
Sorry but I don't believe this game is designed for the blind. Its such a small market that its unlikely any changes are made with reference to how they would affect players who are blind.
But they would only have to approve the 'few people'. So it would be a small task.

Great. The problem is this is a video game. Again I don't see Blizzard bending over backwards here for a very few people.
90 Worgen Mage
Xanzul: I find it hard to takethe comments of a level 1 monk as a forum avatar seriously. or is it that you dont want these comments to come back and bite you later.
20 Pandaren Monk
Not to be a complete douche. But follow enables a pretty easy exploit of the game.
Understanding that there may be a very select few (such as your blind friend) who may benefit from follow doesn't necessarily mean that it should be reinstated.

I crushed my foot in a motorcycle accident. Couldn't even stand up for 3 months, as any swelling would tear the surgeries apart. My foot had to stay above my heart. As a result my employer had to replace me and my career effectively ended with that company.

Just because I had a physical disability does not mean that my employer should have to hold a vacancy in his team indefinitely, nor could they afford to. The same applies here. For the greater good.

I would personally hold the folks who exploited the game in contempt far above the developers who removed the exploitable feature.

I have fully recovered by the way and am working in a very similar capacity with a new company.

My condolences on the lose of the original position you held... Your situation is, however, a bit different in that depending on the organization you were employed with (as well as your line of work), you may have been eligible for sick leave, or disability retirement (if you could not recover), or have been given a post where you could preform the duties given to you...

Point being, you knew what you signed on for when you took on your job vs the OP's blind friend, as well as the rest of us, who had no idea such a game breaking decision was being made behind our backs. And yes, given the circumstances of the OP's friend, the term Game Breaking IS appropriate.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]