Resto Druid Gems

90 Tauren Druid
If I have a prismatic slot open for a gem, which is better, assuming that I'm either healing 16/16N or progressing on the 5.2 raids.

Brilliant Primordial Ruby or Artful Vermilion Onyx and why?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I personally use +80 intellect +160 spirit in mine.

I wouldn't use Artful in a prismatic only because Intellect > Mastery. So if you are comfortable with spirit, go with +160 intellect.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
There is some theory crafting which shows 320 mastery to be superior right now to 160 intellect but I generally go with the intellect gem until I'm sure. With the increase in spirit on the gear I wouldnt put any spirit I'm gems that weren't blue sockets.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Without too much math put into this, here's some reasons why Int > Mastery (As in, prismatic sockets/yellow sockets should be int/mastery instead of straight mastery)

• If you need to go a HoTW spec for whatever reason, mastery provides no benefits.
• You no longer gain any crit benefits by choosing mastery over int.
• The difference in a 320 gem over an int/mastery is pretty much negligible, with mastery not allowing you the flexibility you may need to have for whatever reason.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Spirit. Can't get enough spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Spirit is a complete waste of time if you're healing 10 man, since you don't need to blanket as much... Also if you're rockin the t14 2 set... i would almost recommend dropping even more spirit in a 10 man setting, since rejuv would essentially have 19% reduced mana cost now. For me, it just feels like spirit makes druids into a one button wonder. I only gem int/spirit gems in blue sockets, and im sitting on roughly 11k mana regen + 2 regen trinkets.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Spirit is a complete waste of time if you're healing 10 man, since you don't need to blanket as much... Also if you're rockin the t14 2 set... i would almost recommend dropping even more spirit in a 10 man setting, since rejuv would essentially have 19% reduced mana cost now. For me, it just feels like spirit makes druids into a one button wonder. I only gem int/spirit gems in blue sockets, and im sitting on roughly 11k mana regen + 2 regen trinkets.

This is definitely not true at all
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Spirit a waste of time? For rdruids, the majority of our heals go into overhealing. So would you rather you had stronger heals that would then go into more overhealing or be able to afford the mana to blanket more people for upcoming damage? In theory stack all the spirit you can until you can spam and not oom. One of the best rdruids in the world has done this and she does well.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
I find that generally I do not need nearly as much spirit as I gem for but I am also finding that in a few heroic fights I need to spam regrowth to keep the tanks alive, which tends to drain mana pretty quickly. So I gem for those fights. I suppose a true min/maxer would regem as necessary to optimize for each fight but I just don't have the resources to afford that playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Im having a hard time seeing how you feel like that, but I don't play your raid comp. IMO Spirit in 10 man is much more needed as I don't have extra mana tide totems, hyms or innervates. In 25 man, there are usually several priest, several shamans and several non resto druids who are all willing to give you those CD's. Im around 11k spirit in my 10 man with buffs and I love it. If I was in a 25 man raid I would have no worries about dropping down to 7 or 8k spirit.

Then again, it really comes down to who you are healing with and your play style.
Edited by Stevecow on 4/2/2013 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Neither, use a 320 spirit gem. Always put 320 spirit gems in blue slots and prismatic slots. sadly I'm forced to use a 320 int gem in one of my prismatic gem because I am a JCer with only one red gem slot on his gear.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Without too much math put into this, here's some reasons why Int > Mastery (As in, prismatic sockets/yellow sockets should be int/mastery instead of straight mastery)

• If you need to go a HoTW spec for whatever reason, mastery provides no benefits.
• You no longer gain any crit benefits by choosing mastery over int.
• The difference in a 320 gem over an int/mastery is pretty much negligible, with mastery not allowing you the flexibility you may need to have for whatever reason.

I'll agree that the difference between int and mastery is pretty negligible even if mastery might gain a tad at high SP levels.

But I wouldn't even consider any tiny crit value gain from gems through int a valid point of argument here because that minor crit is really negligible as to be non starter. 80 extra mastery on the 320 is a mathematical certainty and has real value too even if it's a small amount and personal I'd take mastery over crit any day of the week.

As for HoTW -while it's true we might be able to spam wrath for 40 seconds on a lot of encounters I don't think anyone will be looking at any slight differences in our wrath numbers. I've had them hit for over 700k without concern for gems and HoTW. We gem for healing not for dps even if it allows us a small portion to dps.

That said I see no issue geming 80int-160 mastery over 320 mastery although I don't.

Im having a hard time seeing how you feel like that, but I don't play your raid comp. IMO Spirit in 10 man is much more needed as I don't have extra mana tide totems, hyms or innervates.

You certainly place spirit very high. I'm not sure why. Spirit doesn't allow you to do much of anything in terms of 'extra casts' in the manner spoken in this thread. It certainly has nothing to do with our core spells such as SM, WG and LB. More spirit (after a baseline amount) only grants you a couple of rejuvs and perhaps 1 RG over a 3 min period per 1000 spirit. My rejuvs costs 7830. So after 3 min with 1000 spirit I gain 20,000 mana and can cast 2 rejuvs. Doesn't sound so great after all does it? That same 1000 spirit into mastery nets me roughly a flat 2% additive to all my hots and spells. What about ReGrowth? 17,820 mana per cast. If you want to 'spam' RG as one guy claimed here you better pack on the extra spirit big time.

A controversial post here pretty much sums up my view about the matter -

http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com/2012/10/08/why-more-spirit-is-not-the-answer-to-your-healing-problems/

Hard core 25m progression aside, people's spirit levels are their own. If you heal great with your current level then by all means do what works but making blankets statements applied to everyone is just too black and white and I'm only discussing DRUID regen/spirit. Fact is I heal for more per tick all esle being equal and you can cast a few more every now and again. Great your comp might need thsoe extra rejuvs or RGs. But I find that I can actually reforge ALL my spirit currently. This might change a bit going forward into heroics who know I'll examine it when I get there.
Edited by Moophious on 4/2/2013 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock

You certainly place spirit very high. I'm not sure why. Spirit doesn't allow you to do much of anything in terms of 'extra casts' in the manner spoken in this thread. It certainly has nothing to do with our core spells such as SM, WG and LB. More spirit (after a baseline amount) only grants you a couple of rejuvs and perhaps 1 RG over a 3 min period per 1000 spirit. My rejuvs costs 7830. So after 3 min with 1000 spirit I gain 20,000 mana and can cast 2 rejuvs. Doesn't sound so great after all does it? That same 1000 spirit into mastery nets me roughly a flat 2% additive to all my hots and spells. What about ReGrowth? 17,820 mana per cast. If you want to 'spam' RG as one guy claimed here you better pack on the extra spirit big time.

Yep, closing in on 16K buffed. So vs. 11K for a 10 minute fight is 5K*.56*12*10 = 336000 mana, which is 43 Rejuvs or 19 Regrowths. Considering that the difference between win or lose often comes down to the last 30 seconds of typically extreme damage, that difference becomes very noticeable. That said, for shorter fights less than maybe 8 minutes, it is definitely a waste and I would be better off boosting mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yep, closing in on 16K buffed. So vs. 11K for a 10 minute fight is 5K*.56*12*10 = 336000 mana, which is 43 Rejuvs or 19 Regrowths.

Well most fights aren't 10 minutes but even if they are you're certainly not rejuv spamming the whole time. Of course I'm not saying some hard core progression druids are wrong in their choice to stack spirit and even crit (I'm talking 25m). But that doesn't even have anything to do with playing efficiently. In fact it's anything but efficient. Basically they've become rejuv batteries plain and simple. It's wrath style reincarnated in MoP. But in reality most guys with such high spirit levels sit on it because not every fight needs constant rejuv spamming so their throughput is hurt on a good number of encounters.

But in my little world of raiding I'll take a much stronger WG, LB, SM-Efflor and occasional rejuv here and there any day of the week. Because they're stronger and I don't have 4-6 other healers to contend with I can be efficient with spells that cost little and heal a lot. When I use WG I see HP bars actually move and there is a clear difference between very mediocre rejuvs and much more powerful.

I know I don't have to say it but if you're getting more out of a spell it's natural that you won't need to cast as often. We don't even need math to know this is the case.

I can steer a car with my feet but that doesn't mean it's the best way to do it even if it gets me to the store...
Edited by Moophious on 4/3/2013 5:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I havent read that article yet Moo but I will after this comment. I like being active all fight. Im a big fan of seeing health bars at 100%. With my 11k spirit buffed I can pretty much heal all fight with no stops. As long as I keep up my innervate when needed that is. I have come close to OOMing on progression attempts but never have had an issue where I have zero mana unless things go drastically wrong.

High spirit really fits my play style for the raid comp Im in.

PS: I find it funny the picture of the Zelda map at the top of that article is also my timeline photo on facebook!
Edited by Stevecow on 4/3/2013 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
@moophious

Read the article. Is it only a debate about spirit flask and food or is about spirit flask, food and gemming?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
@moophious

Read the article. Is it only a debate about spirit flask and food or is about spirit flask, food and gemming?

No it's about healers claiming that spirit is the answer to their going OOM issues.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]