Leveling a Warlock - when does it get easy?

50 Human Warlock
I’ve read everywhere that Warlocks are awesome to level and extremely OP, but honestly, I don’t see it. I’m not struggling by any means, but so far I’m at 41, and I’m really not impressed. Based on everything I read, I was expecting so much more.

The biggest problem is survivability. I know they’re a DPS class, but so is a Hunter and a DK. Warlock doesn’t even come close to the same survivability, especially not at these low levels. Soulstone is useless. If the mobs kill you, a revive won’t help – especially since they’ll be a full health when you pop back to life and you’ll be at 60% with no mana or Demonic Fury. Soulstone is only useful as a backup revive in a group. Healthstone is also useless. Even glyphed it’s only 40% healing in 10 seconds – with a 2 minute cooldown. Compare this this to the variety of self-heals available to a DK or a Monk. Soul Leech is mostly useless –damage too little for healing to be effective. Dark Regeneration, Mortal Coil, Life Drain – all paltry heals that don’t help when you really need them.

Worst of all is the minions. Only one worth using is the Voidwalker, who happens to be weaker than a Hunter pet in every respect. Less health, less damage, less healing. Health Funnel is a pathetic equivalent of Mend Pet. 36% healing in 6 seconds? Channeled? Even glyphed it’s not so useful. 15% heal every ten seconds is a convenient to heal between mobs, but it won’t help against 3 or more. 3 or more even level mobs will slaughter the Voidwalker every time – at least from what I’ve seen.

I tried all three specs. I don’t really like destruction, so I only used it in the beginning for the DPS boost. Then I switched to demonology. It was fun for a while. Meta was cool and the DPS was fine. But it’s a lot of buttons to press for the same (or weaker) result as any other class. It gets old quick, popping in out of demon form.

So I switched to Affliction, since supposedly it’s the most efficient way to level. Apparently you’re supposed to dot 20 mobs and run through the zone watching them die. I wish they’d stop lying about a class’s capabilities like that. Because the most I could ever handle safely was 2-3. Voidwalker would die with any more and after the Voidwalker goes, so do you. Corruption doesn’t provide much of a leech, and Glyph of Soul Consumption requires you to channel Soul Drain – which means you can’t simply run around dotting everything and expect to survive. Fears don’t really work, either, and if they did it wouldn’t really be efficient.

I had high hopes for Glyph of Demon Hunting, but so far it’s just another disappointment. You’re practically invulnerable against one mob, even two, but any more and you’re dead. 3-4 mobs will cut through Fury Ward and Life Harvest like butter. Maybe it would be better with Glyph of Soul Consumption, but I’m not sure if I’ll make it to level fifty for the second glyph slot to find out. I don’t see how Immolation Aura would help much, either.

Anyway, I hate to complain, but what I’m really looking for is hope. I want to know if the Warlock gets any better with levels, and if so, how much. I love the character concept of a Warlock, but I’m really unimpressed with the play style. With so many different skills and options, I find it a little disheartening that there’s so many buttons to press and yet no way to be more powerful than average. Everything is just meh. The heals, the damage. Why the extra frustration? Where’s the reward? Demon wings are cool, but is it worth it in the end?

Maybe I was expecting too much. I leveled a brewmaster on a previous account and that class was truly OP in PVE. Between the mitigation of ox stance, the mitigation of guard, the heals like expel harm and healing sphere, the dodge change, the parry chance, shuffle, stagger – it was almost impossible to pull enough mobs that were even capable of killing you. And all that with great DPS – AoE DPS. Maybe if I never played the brewmaster I’d have more fun with the Warlock, but right now it feels like I’m gimping myself for no other reason than the fact that Warlock’s are cool.

So, anyway, my basic question is this: do Warlocks ever become great? If so, how? I need to know what I’m missing here. I’ve heard so many people rave about Warlocks, but sometimes I wonder if those people have even played a DK. I really haven’t seen anything special so far and I’m losing patience.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
dark apotheosis aoe grinding, demo. its pretty good and you dont die too easy on normal world mobs. when you get 50, glyph soul consumption (i think thats the one) heals you when you kill stuff, helps quite a bit.
Edited by Àrân on 3/1/2013 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Have your pet tank... don't use Dark Apotheosis.

Put threatening presence on your pet bars, turn it off for instances. Heal your pet using Dark Regen and Glyphed Health Funnel. Use Imp swarm Glyph to help burst down and gain more fury.

It's obviously a new play style and you chose to level one of the most complex specs for a warlock. Demonology is excellent for aoe pulling, and the Felguard is one of the most resilient pets with the strongest aoe tanking capabilities.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
03/01/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Xerrelleia
I had high hopes for Glyph of Demon Hunting, but so far it’s just another disappointment. You’re practically invulnerable against one mob, even two, but any more and you’re dead. 3-4 mobs will cut through Fury Ward and Life Harvest like butter. Maybe it would be better with Glyph of Soul Consumption, but I’m not sure if I’ll make it to level fifty for the second glyph slot to find out. I don’t see how Immolation Aura would help much, either.

Not sure about below level 85 (I just run bgs and dungeons to level to 85), but once you hit 85 get on out to panda land and pull mobs like crazy. You seriously can tank more mobs than a blood dk with this glyph and the felguard. Shadowfury is a defensive cd, sac pac is a cd and summon infernal is a cd. Aoe drain life and keep up your curses. Stagger your cds, use axe toss on elites. You may die a few times at first but once you learn how to do it, it becomes easy moade.

It takes between 1 and 2 hours to get from level 89-90 aoe farming in klaxxiva land, You will not beat this questing or chain running dungeons. Pull big at least 4 elites and 10 -12 smaller guys.
Reply Quote
its called go destro and chaos bolt 1 shot everything, granted your fully loomed
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I leveled many years ago and never had an issue. But the game is so different now. The Warlock of today is like a completely different beast then it was back then. Makes me want to lvl a new one just to see the difference! Just make sure you have fun, If ur not having fun try a different class out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
03/01/2013 10:02 PMPosted by Noçtis
its called go destro and chaos bolt 1 shot everything, granted your fully loomed

Na, even fully loom and enchanted with MC chants on staff on my second warlock, my chaos bolt at 50 was barely hitting 4k with consistency. I switched to Demo around 52 and never looked back. Just hit 63 tonight and my god those last 11 level flew by. AoE with felguard "bladestorm", hand of guldan and mass dotting, you can kill 5-8 mobs with a cooldown here and there.

Go Demo, just gotta bind and make a few macros for some things, but once you do, demo makes things easy. PvP with it isn't so bad either, assuming you don't run into the 8 healers in a BG.
Reply Quote
50 Human Warlock
Thanks for the all the responses. I guess I'll switch to plain demo and wait for the fellguard/wrathguard. I'll try Dark Apothoesis again at 80 or so. I guess Warlocks are a late-game class. I'm very curious to see how they'll do in Panda-land, since that's where it really matters.
Reply Quote
76 Human Warlock
I previously leveled a lock to 60 on Destruction, and didn't have too bad of a time. However, I was very conservative and took on as few mobs as possible. Usually one mob, then use fear for a second mob. As far as leveling efficiently by pulling a bunch of mobs, it might be rather difficult to learn. Efficiency is not the same as easy. However, I am now playing around with Demonology on this current lock, and am starting to find it interesting. I now have Felstorm (whatever it's called).

I also have a hunter currently at 58, and my experience so far is that it does hit harder than a Warlock. I had no problems getting my hunter to 58. It's just that I am a little bored with spamming Arcane SHot, and thought a Warlock would be a nice diversion.

You have to be careful about people's comments because many players are already max level, and are principally interested in how things work there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
For what it's worth, I've had a much easier time 85-90 on this character than my hunter (my only other 90).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I don't think Warlocks have ever had a reputation for being easy or fun to level. IMO that's one of the reasons we're under-represented at 90.

I guess the Felguard could be pretty fun at 42.
Edited by Mandorgan on 3/2/2013 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It has been a few years since I this lock was low level, but I did it as affliction. It was very efficient in that I had zero down time so I was able to grind through levels very quickly.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I know for sure locks were really easy and insane to lvl back when felguard was lvl 10.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Switch to Destruction
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Warlock leveling rotation: Destro to 40 or 50 -> Demo to 85 -> Affy or Demo to 90
Edited by Noxidus on 3/2/2013 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I actually had trouble leveling as demonology. It's a great spec for AoE killing, but honestly, questing rarely requires AoE killing.

Destruction however, can blow things up with Chaos Bolt > Shadowburn, and generate more embers than they spend.

I was even doing that on Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I just leveled this lock to lvl 90 about a month ago all the way through as destruction using supremacy, outside of dungeons i died once and that's because i pulled roughly 10-12 ppl at the same time, not being able to switch fast enough for my voidlord to catch the aggro for all of them. As far as dungeons went, i qued with a healer and told every tank to turn dps while my void tanked all of the dungeons.

I had full heirlooms(not sure if you do) and did some research on how to play the class before i embarked on the levelling journey for him, i honestly don't see any difficulty in levelling a lock. Also if you haven't got glyph of demon training yet and you plan on being tanky with your pet, get it.
Edited by Ninim on 3/2/2013 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I know they’re a DPS class, but so is a Hunter and a DK. Warlock doesn’t even come close to the same survivability

Dafuq? Unless your leveling as a Blood DK, they have no survivability at all.
Reply Quote
50 Human Warlock
So, the general feeling is that Warlocks excel at later levels but are only 'ok' in early levels. That's basically what I thought. I should clarify that I never actually had any trouble. I can pull 2-3 mobs at a time without any problems, but it's generally safer to pick them off one by one. If you pull three mobs and then two more spawn right on top of you - well, you're dead. I did a lot of reseach before starting the class, and most of what I read led me to beleive Warlocks had excellent survivabilty, with tons of heals, tough pets, defensive skills, etc. No one mentioned that it takes at least 80 levels before you get any of it. Every other class I've leveled had most of their skills by 20-30.

But at least things seem optimistic for 85-90. That's when it really matters, I guess. I leveled a Hunter to 90 on a previous account and she did struggle a little in those upper 80's. I'll be looking forward to mass murdering the Klaxxi...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]