Leveling a Warlock - when does it get easy?

(Locked)

100 Gnome Warlock
Just go destruction. Through Chaos Bolt, Conflagrate, and Shadowburn, you'll murder things. Especially in PvP. :P (Never doubt the leveling power of a call to arms battleground. xD Just did 50-63 on my warrior during the WSG one)

I rarely had to immolate/incinerate after level 50 or so.
Edited by Bitsi on 3/2/2013 12:04 PM PST
90 Worgen Rogue
i just hit 42 on my lock. the only easier leveling class ive played is hunter. glyph siphon life, dot everything harvest life = win.
90 Undead Warlock
soul leach + voidwalker + glyph of soul consumption + soul link... I used affliction and it was one of the easiest leveling experiences ... soul link + soul leach means health management is almost automatic... soul consumption plus drain soul and you get all your shards back + 20% health back for life taps.... honestly it's one of the easisest leveling experiences and one of the best soloing classes... Just soloed ulduar and used destro as ember tap proved to be very helpful.
100 Human Warlock
So, the general feeling is that Warlocks excel at later levels but are only 'ok' in early levels. That's basically what I thought. I should clarify that I never actually had any trouble. I can pull 2-3 mobs at a time without any problems, but it's generally safer to pick them off one by one. If you pull three mobs and then two more spawn right on top of you - well, you're dead. I did a lot of reseach before starting the class, and most of what I read led me to beleive Warlocks had excellent survivabilty, with tons of heals, tough pets, defensive skills, etc. No one mentioned that it takes at least 80 levels before you get any of it. Every other class I've leveled had most of their skills by 20-30.

But at least things seem optimistic for 85-90. That's when it really matters, I guess. I leveled a Hunter to 90 on a previous account and she did struggle a little in those upper 80's. I'll be looking forward to mass murdering the Klaxxi...

Again, switch to Destruction
100 Draenei Shaman
"Maybe I was expecting too much. I leveled a brewmaster on a previous account and that class was truly OP in PVE. Between the mitigation of ox stance, the mitigation of guard, the heals like expel harm and healing sphere, the dodge change, the parry chance, shuffle, stagger – it was almost impossible to pull enough mobs that were even capable of killing you. And all that with great DPS – AoE DPS."

Demo lock is probably the best aoe spec in WoW atm and in Cata. Demo can use harvest life with a small self-healing non-stop or hellfire if they do not care about self-healing.

"Meta was cool and the DPS was fine. But it’s a lot of buttons to press for the same (or weaker) result as any other class. It gets old quick, popping in out of demon form."

In Cata on a single target demo warlocks used 20+ buttons. Now 2 times less. It's not so bad/annoying now.
85 Gnome Warlock
I have been feeling OP since level 50. Large groups while I am soloing can still get hairy but I can easily handle up to three mobs with no problem.

I use the Felguard to tank for me. I turn off threatening presence when I am in a dungeon group.

I have had a situation more than once where things got out of hand and being able to insta-rez the pet is a lifesaver. Also, soulstone yourself.

Take a look at your talents and glyphs. I changed a couple recently and I am doing really well now.

I am very leery of that glyph of demon hunting. Doesn't seem like a smart move to me.
92 Goblin Warlock
Well I started this warlock at the beginning of this year. From 1 to 30 she was ok, died when I tried to pull 4 or more mobs as affliction, once she hit 31 tried out destro and demo specs. What I found out is that destro is simpler and hit hard, demo with DA is king of doing quests and affliction I'm having trouble figuring out. What I found that works is do small pulls and watch void walkers health, heal him when you get a chance.

Warlocks at low levels are not great at aoe killing until around 50 or 60 (can not remember when destro gets that one passive that lets them not have to channel rain of fire). I also did mostly instances from 15 or 20 to 82 so no idea how warlocks work in world questing.
90 Dwarf Warlock
Starting off, quest grinding is ok with a warlock. No you can't pull the whole zone and kill them all at one time. But if you are efficient you can do 2 mob pulls with no downtime. Best to do chain pulls from levels 1-40. Start your first mob, once that one is at 25% health pull your next one and so on. As a demo lock, you should be able to roll on through with no downtime and almost always staying in meta form. After about 15 pulls like that you will need to heal your walker.

Once you get voidwalker things get a little better, not a lot but a little. Around the 40's the voidwalker gets a better and can handle more. And he just gets stronger the more you level. This is when the bigger pulls become much easier.
I am currently lvling a lock and its hard to figure how someome can die from reg mobs,for sure there is a limit of mobs you can pull at once like any class but they are certainely not weak,i can chain pull mobs all day without losing any health,even if im afk and a mobs or 2 start attacking me i will survive no problem,voidwalker will take care of them...
92 Undead Warlock
IF you have full heirlooms, affliction 1-24, dot everything and run like mad, super easy and fast.
level 25-89 demonology, first glyph get demon hunting, dark apotheosis form ftw, second glyph get imp swarm. USE THE FELGUARD, dig through the pet spellbook tab and put Threatening Presence back on the pet action bar so you can make sure it's taunting.

It's a faceroll easy spec just remember in DA form you're basically a melee class... like LITERALLY nothing can kill you, i was pulling everything in sight like 5-6 mobs at once blowing everything up, rarely have to stop.

Once you hit 90 it's basically the same but lose the glyph of demon hunting and replace with like... healthstone or something useful, grimoire of second demon is the way to go, macro all those 2min dps cd's together, berzerking/orcracial, trink, imp swarm, second demon talent, etc... it's crazy strong, i can swoop about 8-10 mobs in dread wastes and blow them up in literally seconds.

I TRY not to pull more than about 13 mobs at once tho, 13-15 and things start to get a little frantic because they can kill off my primary felguard.

EDIT: remember to be using felguard BLADESTORM on cooldown when fighting aoe trash, it's the entire reason you're using that pet... for the grimoire service pet use a second felguard, double bladestorms is wicked! And the service grimoire felguard doesn't need his bladestorm triggered, it's automatic.

EDIT EDIT: my rotation basically goes like this at 90 for trash, round up all mobs with mount, when i have enough 8-10 drop mount and hit dps cd macro button, gotta use a /castsequence for the grimoire felguard, and imp swarm it triggers the gcd. THEN hand of gul'dan, pop demon form, chaos wave, felguard bladestorm, and start spammin out... uhhh i THINK it's touch of chaos, whatever the aoe one is... IF you get a couple early kills and get bonus demon energy and have enough to burn you can trigger your demonform aoe hellfire and keep spamming out the aoe shot. Nice thing about demon form is every mob that dies gives you a boatload of free demonic energy.

From that point on stick to 2-3 mobs for the next minute or so till your 2min cd macro is G2G again.

Yes the imp swarm is ready to cast before everything else, don't use it on cooldown, line it up with all your dps boosting 2mins and the grimoire service pet <second felguard>
Edited by Akivasha on 3/5/2013 10:31 AM PST
92 Undead Warlock
03/05/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Mezzivezz
Warlock does not get easier 85-90, OP, it gets harder. Lower level content is absolutely easier for warlocks.

Lies, went 85-90 with a prot pally, enh. sham, sub/assn rogue, demo lock, 89 with my frost mage, and by FAR the warlock was easier. However i'm only talking about demonology

I hear destro is a total pita, and affliction sucks unless you get off from boring rotations and killing only one mob at once, self heals to not outweigh the ability to blow up everything in sight.
100 Orc Warlock
Leveling a Warlock is easy the second you pick "Affliction" as your spec

SB: SS, SB:SS, SB:SS, keep running around with a trail of death behind you and loot when needed
90 Orc Warlock
I dont even need to read through your way to long post to tell you that warlock is not an easy class to play. Never has been. But in reality I would say it's a lot easier to play now than it was pre-MoP. My destro lock had a wooping 14 spells to keep track of at least. If you want easy play a huntard or something.
100 Undead Warlock
I’ve read everywhere that Warlocks are awesome to level and extremely OP, but honestly, I don’t see it. I’m not struggling by any means, but so far I’m at 41, and I’m really not impressed. Based on everything I read, I was expecting so much more.

The biggest problem is survivability. I know they’re a DPS class, but so is a Hunter and a DK. Warlock doesn’t even come close to the same survivability, especially not at these low levels. Soulstone is useless. If the mobs kill you, a revive won’t help – especially since they’ll be a full health when you pop back to life and you’ll be at 60% with no mana or Demonic Fury. Soulstone is only useful as a backup revive in a group. Healthstone is also useless. Even glyphed it’s only 40% healing in 10 seconds – with a 2 minute cooldown. Compare this this to the variety of self-heals available to a DK or a Monk. Soul Leech is mostly useless –damage too little for healing to be effective. Dark Regeneration, Mortal Coil, Life Drain – all paltry heals that don’t help when you really need them.

Worst of all is the minions. Only one worth using is the Voidwalker, who happens to be weaker than a Hunter pet in every respect. Less health, less damage, less healing. Health Funnel is a pathetic equivalent of Mend Pet. 36% healing in 6 seconds? Channeled? Even glyphed it’s not so useful. 15% heal every ten seconds is a convenient to heal between mobs, but it won’t help against 3 or more. 3 or more even level mobs will slaughter the Voidwalker every time – at least from what I’ve seen.

I tried all three specs. I don’t really like destruction, so I only used it in the beginning for the DPS boost. Then I switched to demonology. It was fun for a while. Meta was cool and the DPS was fine. But it’s a lot of buttons to press for the same (or weaker) result as any other class. It gets old quick, popping in out of demon form.

So I switched to Affliction, since supposedly it’s the most efficient way to level. Apparently you’re supposed to dot 20 mobs and run through the zone watching them die. I wish they’d stop lying about a class’s capabilities like that. Because the most I could ever handle safely was 2-3. Voidwalker would die with any more and after the Voidwalker goes, so do you. Corruption doesn’t provide much of a leech, and Glyph of Soul Consumption requires you to channel Soul Drain – which means you can’t simply run around dotting everything and expect to survive. Fears don’t really work, either, and if they did it wouldn’t really be efficient.

I had high hopes for Glyph of Demon Hunting, but so far it’s just another disappointment. You’re practically invulnerable against one mob, even two, but any more and you’re dead. 3-4 mobs will cut through Fury Ward and Life Harvest like butter. Maybe it would be better with Glyph of Soul Consumption, but I’m not sure if I’ll make it to level fifty for the second glyph slot to find out. I don’t see how Immolation Aura would help much, either.

Anyway, I hate to complain, but what I’m really looking for is hope. I want to know if the Warlock gets any better with levels, and if so, how much. I love the character concept of a Warlock, but I’m really unimpressed with the play style. With so many different skills and options, I find it a little disheartening that there’s so many buttons to press and yet no way to be more powerful than average. Everything is just meh. The heals, the damage. Why the extra frustration? Where’s the reward? Demon wings are cool, but is it worth it in the end?

Maybe I was expecting too much. I leveled a brewmaster on a previous account and that class was truly OP in PVE. Between the mitigation of ox stance, the mitigation of guard, the heals like expel harm and healing sphere, the dodge change, the parry chance, shuffle, stagger – it was almost impossible to pull enough mobs that were even capable of killing you. And all that with great DPS – AoE DPS. Maybe if I never played the brewmaster I’d have more fun with the Warlock, but right now it feels like I’m gimping myself for no other reason than the fact that Warlock’s are cool.

So, anyway, my basic question is this: do Warlocks ever become great? If so, how? I need to know what I’m missing here. I’ve heard so many people rave about Warlocks, but sometimes I wonder if those people have even played a DK. I really haven’t seen anything special so far and I’m losing patience.

Am i being Trolled ???? a long and painful troll ????
55 Human Warlock
lol, this thread turned out exactly like every other other thread I've seen on the subject - everybody with a conflicting opinion. I guess I'll have to just keep leveling and see how it turns out. Warlocks are cool, that's all that really matters. :)
100 Blood Elf Warlock
honestly it's one of the easisest leveling experiences and one of the best soloing classes... Just soloed ulduar and used destro as ember tap proved to be very helpful.

Soloing is why I play a lock and love destro. Our health regen feels somewhat weaker than in Cata, so I love ember tap.

Leveling warlocks is pure pleasure for me, I am currently leveling two more. But lower levels are different. Voidwalker is weaker so you must compensate. Try fear (glyphed), use banish demon, glyphed health funnel, and let your VW build some aggro first when hitting multiples. We have some fun toys: Shadowfury is a 3 sec AoE stun you can use while staying ranged. With GoServ you can fear one mob, mesmerize a second, while you burn down 2-3 others. And the Infernal is a wonderful "oh %^$&" button when faced with multiple mobs. But the thing about locks is you don't have to do any of this, there are so many ways to play. Or just go demo and AoE your way through 5-mans until 85 :).

If you are used to monks and DKs it won't feel the same --- our AoE is generally not as strong, but I love our single/double target abilities. Once you get to Pandaria you can solo rares that DKs have trouble with, and you can solo old instances and raids with ease. So can DKs, but I still prefer a lock.

Akivasha's post sounds like fun too: "melee" leveling in DA vs. the traditional control-freak lock style. Thing is you can try all of this on the way up and see what you enjoy.
Edited by Zulayka on 3/5/2013 11:56 AM PST
100 Human Warlock
Playing a lock is not as easy as people think. I have both a mage and a lock, and by far the mage was much easier to level.

With that being said, I tried all the specs, and I will continue to stick with Affliction. I agree with your earlier complaint about dotting everything and running around, that didn't work, I as well tried it and was like WTF..

There are some great guides out there teaching you what rotation you should use etc..

It does get much easier btw, your a lower level, so don't expect your dps to be like whoa!! Make sure your keeping your rotation up, and using the right spells during your cooldown.
90 Human Warlock
lol, this thread turned out exactly like every other other thread I've seen on the subject - everybody with a conflicting opinion. I guess I'll have to just keep leveling and see how it turns out. Warlocks are cool, that's all that really matters. :)

The leveling experience changes depending on how many heirlooms you have. Having leveled this lock without any in Cata mostly, I have to laugh at the advice to dot everything and wait for them to die. I remember trying that only to end up with several mobs with 50% health left beating on me after the dots fell off. Too many people just take heirlooms for granted.

I don't know how MoP affected lock leveling, but having leveled a hunter, a prot warrior and a BM monk the warlock was definitely the slowest until MoP (none had heirlooms except for the monk). The tanks could gather a lot of mobs and AoE them down, and Aimed shot crits could basically one shot mobs pre-outland and take a significant chunk of health off afterwards, as well as the hunter pets being better in general.
Edited by Samariel on 3/5/2013 11:51 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]