5.2 Crafting System Improvements

90 Pandaren Shaman
As i'm sure most of you are finding out, the Dreadful Recipes for all professions will be randomly learned by using the new daily CD crafting recipe that can acquired from world drops. Though its very easy to get this world drop, you then have to just grind out the leather and dump into the profession in hopes of getting the pattern you want.

I find some rather glaring issues with this system, mainly that it takes control of your profession out of your hands. I leveled leatherworking so that I could make myself gear. I was fine putting in the time needed to get Spirits of Harmony and gathering the leather, however If I want to craft a piece of Dreadful I need to seek out a LW who was lucky enough to acquire the recipe I'm looking for.

The real reason this was introduced was to create short term niche markets for people to exploit for profit. With the amount of ways to make gold in the game, having my profession forced into a money making scheme and removing the ability to utilize the profession for personal benefits is simply bad design in my opinion.

It also serves as a means to gate Dreadful gear being funneled into the markets, leaving the only way for my alt to gear up for PVP is to fight against people in full malev in my contender gear, a woping 33 ilvl difference. Blizzards own advice was to acquire dreadful gear to close the gap while you farm up the honor to kinda catch up with a crappier version of recent available to previous players. I don't understand the purpose of gating such low end gear at all, this is the kind of thing that needs to be readily available to acquire from the beginning. In a few weeks/months the demand for such recipes will be significantly lower and there wouldn't have been a reason to gate the recipes in the first place.

What you've done Blizz is put the one of the lowest levels of gear behind a wall that is so massive it deters participation. As a LW I have something like 72 individual recipes I can randomly learn through this 'discovery' system. Its day one and I've given up on this as a legitimate means of gearing myself or even participating in the profession process. It would take me less time to simply get my but handed to me over the course of 100 BGs to catch up in honor gear than it would to seek out LWs with the appropriate patterns or to simply hope that the AH price is reasonable (which they wont be).

You really missed the mark here blizzard, the solution was simple, put the recipes on the vendors behind a reasonably farmable gate. 3 spirits, 1 hide/bar/cloth, possibly even two. We could still use the daily CD to pick a piece of gear we wanted to craft, and then farm out more if we wanted to acquire them faster.

Here's a rough estimate of total patterns for just LW

5 piece of glad per speck of monk=10
5 piece of glad for rogues=5
5 pieces of glad for each spec of druid=15
5 pieces of glad for each spec of shaman=15
5 pieces of glad for hunters =5

So just Dreadful glad pieces we are at 50.

3 Off piece (boots,belt,bracer) of Spirit leather
3 Off pieces of Agi Leather
3 Off pieces of spirit mail
3 off pieces of agi mail.

This doesn't include the different variety of boots, etc available, so there are actually more. This brings the rough count to 62.

Now we have 522 gear patterns as well, Boots/gloves
From what I understand, we have 2 spirit leather, 2 agi leather, 2 spirit mail, 2 agi mail for a total of 8, bringing the total count to 70, lets say there are two different kinds of boots per armor/stat type, that adds 4 to the list for a GRAND TOTAL OF 74 recipes to learn.

This means that I have to make a hide DAILY for 2 and 1/2 months to acquire all of these recipes, requiring a total of 1480 leather. This is absurd. This completely unacceptable and frankly I refuse to participate. My Leatherworker will go back to being an easy source of free stats and again become oblivious to the fact that he can actually make gear because it simply a waste of time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Agree. Horrible, horrible system.

At least for LW we get to make the piece out of the material we just created. Tailoring gets to burn bolts to learn the pattern, and then it gets to use more bolts to make the item. And the Imperial Silk..? Either grind August Celestials to Exalted to make bags, or Golden Lotus to Honored to make gloves and shard them.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
The real reason it was tied to a daily cooldown was put in was to get a guaranteed 2.5 months worth of subs out of people, same as with pretty much everything else thus far in this expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This means that I have to make a hide DAILY for 2 and 1/2 months to acquire all of these recipes, requiring a total of 1480 leather. This is absurd. This completely unacceptable and frankly I refuse to participate. My Leatherworker will go back to being an easy source of free stats and again become oblivious to the fact that he can actually make gear because it simply a waste of time.

I thought they were going to make crafting matter this xpac.

Was it just me?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I got my hopes up thinking I could get all the recipes in 37 days between the 2 cooldowns. But they share a timer. What a waste. :|
Reply Quote
53 Worgen Warrior
Sooo let me get this right. I cannot go to a vendor to buy my crafted patterns for 5.2 I have to do the dailies and PRAY for a drop of a useable pattern and then it has a 1 day CD for me to get another drop of this kind?

REALLY?

I am not a PvEer and I hate doing dailies of any kind. So Blizzard basicly said FU you gonna do dailies for the next 2.5 months if you wish to continue crafting any of the new content?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
My tailor didn't learn a pattern today when he did his silk cooldown. Anyone know if that is normal or is it just a chance to learn a pattern? This system sucks as it is, if its a chance to learn and will take even more time then this is just stupid.

Never mind, im an idiot. I learned a 522 helm pattern. I expected some notice that I learned something. Had to go double check and saw there was a new pattern.
Edited by Arkthan on 3/5/2013 8:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I've recently discored that you can in fact FAIL to learn a recipe, discovery is not guaranteed. SO! much more likely it will take 3 months to learn the recipes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
In cata all of last season's gear became immediately craftable. This encouraged playing alts. I was all set to give my rogue a go and breathe some new life into this game, but this is garbage. I may never play him now given the frustration of waiting at least 50 days to get the set for him.

Whoever is managing this game has had some really big misses the last two expansion packs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I know I shouldn't be saying this, but tailors need to be punished for being guaranteed Int gear with their cooldown. Blacksmiths have it the worst, they don't even get to start learning new patterns until the next phase of the thunder isle is opened up, and then they have Int plate, dps, and tank gear they might learn. But at least theirs is all plate, I keep learning patterns I can't even wear. There's a reason I never bothered to buy the mail PvP patterns in cataclysm - they weren't going to be profitable and since I couldn't wear them there was no point.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
Gosh, it's almost like Blizzard wants us to interact with the other people on our servers rather than doing everything immediately in our own little bubble. What madness.
Reply Quote
53 Worgen Warrior
OMG! I finally get it! Blacksmithing gets totally hosed in Thundercrap! BTW my contenders gear is selling like hotcakes. 2 FULL sets yesterday. Unfortunately not at the 1-2k gold a piece that the Dreadfull fetches. Sooooo by the time I get into that dam fortress and get to the dam quest that even starts me down the road to BSing 5.2 Everyone is gonna have full mal due to honor grinding so Bah! I want my money back Blizz because Blacksmithers took it hard and with no lube this update!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Gosh, it's almost like Blizzard wants us to interact with the other people on our servers rather than doing everything immediately in our own little bubble. What madness.

Oh, awesome! You have http://www.wowhead.com/spell=137848 and http://www.wowhead.com/spell=137849 that you're willing to trade straight away for some mail pieces?

No?

You're an alchemist!

Well then why don't you shut your stupid hole?
Edited by Humerus on 3/6/2013 10:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
03/06/2013 10:11 AMPosted by Humerus

Oh, awesome! You have http://www.wowhead.com/spell=137848 and http://www.wowhead.com/spell=137849 that you're willing to trade straight away for some mail pieces?

No?

You're an alchemist!

Well then why don't you shut your stupid hole?

Your server forum would probably be a better venue than the professions forum here. Or perhaps your local trade chat or auction house. Perhaps you could also ask your friends who have leatherworking... though given your attitude, assuming you have friends might be a stretch.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Your server forum would probably be a better venue than the professions forum here. Or perhaps your local trade chat or auction house. Perhaps you could also ask your friends who have leatherworking... though given your attitude, assuming you have friends might be a stretch.

There's this thing about assumptions, particularly assuming that I've not already attempted the obvious channels, it's nota good idea.

And as I've said before and will probably say again the future: I didn't level my professions all the way up, and still stick with leatherworking after all this time, to buy crafted gear off of other players.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/06/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Humerus

There's this thing about assumptions, particularly assuming that I've not already attempted the obvious channels, it's nota good idea.

And as I've said before and will probably say again the future: I didn't level my professions all the way up, and still stick with leatherworking after all this time, to buy crafted gear off of other players.

Your "obvious channels" have only been available for ONE. DAY. It should be no surprise at all that a majority of patterns aren't readily available yet. Give it a few days for yourself and your fellow crafters to learn more patterns. Figured that would have been obvious.

As for what you've said before and will say again, too bad. Blizzard evidently thinks it's better for the game if players interact with each other. Eventually you will be able to become a beautiful self-sufficient butterfly, but your whining in the meantime is unbecoming.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

As for what you've said before and will say again, too bad. Blizzard evidently thinks it's better for the game if players interact with each other. Eventually you will be able to become a beautiful self-sufficient butterfly, but your whining in the meantime is unbecoming.

I took BS waaaay back when i hit Razor Hill at level 5 , not so I could buy crafted gear from others, but so I could make my own. Heaven forbid a crafting profession be able to craft their own gear. I might as well be a LW or Tailor for all the good BS does for me right now.
Reply Quote
53 Worgen Warrior

I took BS waaaay back when i hit Razor Hill at level 5 , not so I could buy crafted gear from others, but so I could make my own. Heaven forbid a crafting profession be able to craft their own gear. I might as well be a LW or Tailor for all the good BS does for me right now.

Exactly! and he does not have the option of making a couple of his own and filling in with AH items because NOBODY in plate class is getting any. Just another toon forced to Grind Honor mal gear now totally depleating the possible market for our crafted sets, if we ever get the dam patterns.

It could take some servers 2-4 weeks to open them dam gates. HEH! the RP servers may never get em open!... ROFLMBO! WTG Blizzard!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Welcome to the Discovery System. This is how it has worked in Alchemy and Inscription for years and to a lesser extent in Jewelcrafting. It seems someone at Blizzard feels that RNG of profession skills is fun and exciting for the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]