How many played a mage pre-TBC?

I left the game a few times and came back to a number of changes each time.. well I left a year ago come back to try MoP and I'm not sure I care for this reworked (not retweaked) talent system.. what happened to the talent tree? The old way of chaining spells no longer works. No now again I'm at lest trying to wrap my head around the new system.

Cast times, CDs, chain, it's all different. >.<
Why does blizzard keep trying to fix something that is not broken?
MEH
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Mages have been fundamentally changed so many times since vanilla. I just now expect it to happen every major expansion patch ( 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0). 6.0 will probably once again change how we play mages completely.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
03/03/2013 07:45 AMPosted by Ariaa
Why does blizzard keep trying to fix something that is not broken?

Why are you so against improvements? Changing things that aren't broken is not a bad thing, changing things to be better is a great thing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The game has evolved many times since vanilla for all classes. Mages just spammed fireball or frostbolt in vanilla. For hours...and hours....

The class is in a weird shape right now and is in need of a hefty overhaul, but don't think for a second it'd be better to go back to vanilla's paradigm. That was b o r i n g.
Edited by Terrortician on 3/3/2013 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I had created one but sadly at the time I never could get it past level 35
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Been playing Mage since I started mid-2005. Never main changed.
Edited by Digerati on 3/3/2013 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
03/03/2013 01:59 PMPosted by Digerati
Been playing Mage since I started mid-2005. Never main changed.

I am in a pretty similiar boat. First toon ever made was this guy and i had a brief stint as a rogue because he said rogues were really fun in pvp. Also because we went and camped people in SW as rogue/resto druid in s2-3.

So basically my mage was my first toon ever, 2nd 70 and main switched back to him for T5 progression.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Not pre tbc, but about mid tbc i rolled my mage and haven't stopped playing him as my main since.

The constant change of playstyle is a bit irritating, but I wouldn't mind it so much if they made it, Idk, interesting? At least for frost is just feels liek there's too much emphasis on instant casts (in pve and pvp) and just feels overall really dull.

Mages have also lost just a lot of fun stuff and end up with boring tedious talents like the lvl 90 tier.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I very briefly played endgame mage in Classic. It was pretty cool, as far as Classic goes (the gameplay was pretty much braindead and your DPS was essentially random in 20m raiding thanks to Ignite controlling).

As an MMO, WoW is constantly being iterated to bring gameplay up to modern industry standards and to keep play fresh and interesting. If Arcane was still about managing the Pushing the Limit buff, like it was in ICC, people would be screaming bloody murder that their class was a relic that desperately needs dev work.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
I started playing mage in TBC, prior to that it was priest.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
DOES LEVEL 12 COUNT
Reply Quote
12 Human Warlock
03/03/2013 10:43 PMPosted by Kolesnik
DOES LEVEL 12 COUNT

level 12 you say?

Maybe they want mages so back for hero caster class......HA!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
TBC was about the same spam fireball, keep scorch stacks on boss and use the 3 cooldowns you have. Tho that was when we could use ice viens as fire with cold snap...good times.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
This character has been my main, and has been specced Frost, since January 2005.
90 Human Mage
This was the first toon I ever created and has been my main (with a short break as a ret pally in WotLK Naxx) since May 2006.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I started playing (IIRC) right before TBC and rolled this guy. Always been my main.

Arcane primarily and fire for a while when my gear got decent once and I've been frost all through MOP and I'm not changing. If the geniuses at Blizzard make frost "unworkable" in PVE and my guild leader has to boot me, then I'll stop playing or roll an alt and learn to play a class that doesn't have 1 or 2 of its specs "unworkable" at a given time in PVE. I mean, we're a low-utility pure DPS spec, why should I expect to be very strong in pure DPS with any choice of spec? That's just silly, isn't it?

Tired of chasing specs through an expansion to be optimized. I work hard enough on my main spec to be optimized that I don't feel it's right to have to jump to FIRE every expansion after spending months getting really good at some other spec. That's just silly, isn't it???

Note: Would have been frost all along, but I'm a PVE guy and frost would be "okay" for heroics and low end stuff but I always knew it wouldn't be viable as we progressed, so why bother. I saw that an attempt was being made to make frost "workable" in PVE and I'm grateful and now I can play the spec I want and not get laughed out of a raid. Gee, how gratifying.
Edited by Srig on 3/4/2013 10:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Main since vanilla (First character to 60!)
Brief stint as a DK due to being unable to faction change from End of naxx until cata released, then back to the mage
Edited by Mumrit on 3/4/2013 11:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Was created right after TBC launched, as Horde, never looked back. Many alts, only one main.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Main since vanilla (First character to 60!)
Brief stint as a DK due to being unable to faction change from End of naxx until cata released, then back to the mage

Same here. Started playing in 2005 and mained mage till Wrath came out. When Wrath hit, I briefly rerolled DK because Mages were just coming off our worst tier in Sunwell and we had 5 Mages in guild and very few melee dps. I destryed everyone with a ridiculously OP Blood spec but I didn't like the playstyle. Went back to my Mage after a few months and haven't looked back.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Hit level 58 just before BC dropped here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]