Jealous of Locks in PvE

90 Gnome Mage
Ok, I finally just got my Afflock to 90, at the heroic grinding phase, and I'm finding it's such a versatile and all rounded class to play that I'm actually regretting switching to my mage as my main.

I should preface this with a note that I played Afflock back in Vanilla and raided in BC and WotLK. I only really switched to my Mage in Cata because my friend is playing on the Ally side, so I've actually had more raiding experience on my lock than my Mage.

Afflocks in BC days were also also one of the top DPS specs, but the rotation was punishing. You couldn't clip your DoTs, no AoEs and you have little to no movement abilities. But if executed well, you'd top the DPS charts although people complained ceaselessly about how tough it was.

But today, you can lay all your Dots with 2 buttons, DoTs can be refreshed anytime after the mid point, you can move and cast/channel without much repercussion and they have battle res. And yet they can still top DPS on single or multi-target fights (take that SPriests!). They are all-rounded in just about ever aspect.

In comparison, mages may be competitive in DPS, but only if it is not very mobile. And personally, I have found Frost even more challenging to play than Affliction right now (timing Evocation is not trivial!). In terms of utility, mages were almost vital to the group in the past because of sheep, but now, even our cakes are discarded in favor of feasts.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can't get over how much more developed as a class Afflock is now. I'm sticking to mage now, cos my team already has a lock, but I really hope that devs can also develop mages to be a more well rounded class.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I have both a mage and a lock, both of which I have cleared 16/16 heroic with. Most of what you say about lock dps is incorrect or overly simplified, and I have absolutely no clue what you find challenging about frost dps--it's probably the most forgiving and simple spec between both classes, but to each his own.

The classes are very different in how they play, and the challenges of each class lie in separate aspects of playstyle. Lock rotation is much harder to maximize dps with, while mastering mobility is what separates the skill level of most mages.

While I actually agree that my lock is more "fun" to play, I think my mage is a lot easier to top charts with. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference. If you're jealous of locks, play a lock. It appears you are more casual than hardcore so I don't see why your friends would care about having 2 locks over lock/mage... or maybe this is a "grass is greener" scenario.
Reply Quote
I have both a mage and a lock, both of which I have cleared 16/16 heroic with. Most of what you say about lock dps is incorrect or overly simplified, and I have absolutely no clue what you find challenging about frost dps--it's probably the most forgiving and simple spec between both classes, but to each his own.

The classes are very different in how they play, and the challenges of each class lie in separate aspects of playstyle. Lock rotation is much harder to maximize dps with, while mastering mobility is what separates the skill level of most mages.

While I actually agree that my lock is more "fun" to play, I think my mage is a lot easier to top charts with. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference. If you're jealous of locks, play a lock. It appears you are more casual than hardcore so I don't see why your friends would care about having 2 locks over lock/mage... or maybe this is a "grass is greener" scenario.

/thread
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Sums it up pretty well. I didn't switch to a Warlock because of this. The playstyle didn't suit me like Mage's did. Though I disagree that a mage is easier to top charts with, otherwise Affliction locks wouldn't be higher than Arcane mages on median aggregate parses, their advantage would only manifest on top 100 parses.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

Yeah, there are still challenges to playing Afflocks, but I'm saying that in terms of class design, they are much more well rounded to deal with situations than Mages. Things used to be hard, but Blizz really adapted the mechanism to address all the issues that made playing Afflocks hard. And they come with more utility than Mages.
Edited by Smores on 3/3/2013 10:35 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]